Thread: insuring whittier cars that are driven daily

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

insuring whittier cars that are driven daily

Looking to put insurance on my '89 CSX-VNT. Please don't flame me but I use the car as a daily driver. I want to insure the car for the stated value of the car. NADA says that the current low retail for the car with Recaro's is $4,620 and the average retail is $7,586 so I figure since the car needs paint and is a good "20 footer" that the car is worth about $6,000.......round a bout.

The problem is specialty insurances such as Hagerty and Grundy won't insure it because I drive it daily (even though it's less then 8,000 miles annually) and because the car is not in a locked garage.

Everyone else (triple A, Mercury, Allstate, etc.) will not tell me what the car's worth if it was a total loss unless it is in some kind of accident where there is an actual total loss. Right now, it doesnt seem they consider it worth much more then an '89 turbo shadow!

How do I know how much insurance to put on it if the insurance company can't even give me an idea what they consider the car worth

Im considering getting the car professionally appraised (that will cost me $200 or so) and perhaps that will help if something unforseen should happen or if I can find a company that will use the appraisel amount as the stated value of the car so if its totaled, I would get the appraisel amount.

Does anyone have anyexperience in insuring Whittier cars that are DD?

thanks......

Garrett booster

Re: insuring whittier cars that are driven daily

My car is a DD and I only have liability insurance on it. I should have full coverage but I dont. Maybe that is something I should look into.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Badger, your car have an 87 CSX rear bumper on it? Saw a CSX-VNT car today I'd never seen before on Rosemead Blvd in Pico Rivera...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I am no exppert but what the appraisal in advance does is set up your argument with the insurance company when and if you have to make a claim. Talk to your agent and tell them exactly what your problem is, just like you did it here. Give them a copy of your appraisal and tell them that you expect that kind of valuation if and when there is a claim. If your agent can't assure you, in advance of policy purchase, that you will paid the true value, based upon your honest and above board appraisal, then find another agent. The agent is supposed to work out and document this honest and correct issue that you prudently raise in advance of a problem.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

So far, it seems that there might be a few insurance companies that will take the appraisers word as the worth of the car. Those companies are: Gieco, Farmers, and AIS. I should know more later today. For GLHS owners, triple A does have collecters car insurance for cars '88 and earlier. I didnt inquire more about it because my CSX would'nt qualify. Im learning as I go here but its time consuming. Will update this thread as I find out more.

Alan, nope that wasnt mine. I actually have the correct rear on my car and its still in one piece.....although I cant say that for the front spoiler =(

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Keep in mind that stated value can be challenged. For example, if you insure your car with Grundy for $10k and your garage burns down, Grundy should give you $10k with no problem. However, if some idiot rear ends you, their insurance company might challenge the stated value of $10k.

I don't know if I'd trust Allsteal or Rape Farm to give me a stated value policy they'd stand behind. Hagerty and Grundy are reputable, but as you mentioned they require the car to be kept in a locked garage and not daily driven.

If you want to drive it daily really your best option may be to prepare significant documentation to justify it's worth in the event you do have a loss. I have an insurance article posted under the help section here that might help you.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

turbo addict

He mentioned Farmer's which is supposed to be pretty good. State Farm I would be weary of. Make sure you have something in writing before you go through with anything, but in the mean time if your driving the sucker you better get comprehensive on it.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

¿ Turbo Mopar Contributor oldgregg's Avatar

The one thing your guys are overlooking is that insurance companies will sell you insurance for whatever amount you want, but it's totally up to them how much of that amount they want to pay out in the event of a loss, total or partial.

turbo addict

Get the agent all the documentation for the car you can. That was the biggest thing that helped me out when I had a total loss on my GLHS which was my DD.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Well......guess Gieco can be scratched off the list. They have Collecter type insurance but just like the other "collecter" type companies, you cant drive the car on a daily basis and the car must be in a locked garage.

So now its down to Farmer's (still waiting on if they will actually take the appraisel as stated value) and AIS (broker) using Mercury. If I got insurance through them, I would pay an initial payment and make an appointment to have a someone from their company look at they car and tell me what they consider it to be worth. Then, knowing that amount, I could either stick with them or cancel at that point and get the majority of my money returned.

turbo addict

Yeah no offense in this case, but they figure if it was worth collecting the owner could afford not to drive it everyday. I ran into the same crap with my SVO.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

¿ Turbo Mopar Contributor oldgregg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Well......guess Gieco can be scratched off the list. They have Collecter type insurance but just like the other "collecter" type companies, you cant drive the car on a daily basis and the car must be in a locked garage.
    Even though not insurance, that's why I opted out of the antique plates I was offered by my state.

No weekday or weekend driving unless it's to or from a car show or car event where the car is entered.

Kinda puts a damper on enjoying your ride eh?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ButchN View Post
    No weekday or weekend driving unless it's to or from a car show or car event where the car is entered.
    WHAT!!?? You can't just cruise??? That's just stupid. VA allows you to drive up to 250 miles from your home unless it's to a show, then it's unlimited.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

+1!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButchN View Post
    The one thing your guys are overlooking is that insurance companies will sell you insurance for whatever amount you want, but it's totally up to them how much of that amount they want to pay out in the event of a loss, total or partial.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4