Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous dyno

turbo addict

Re: Nitrous dyno

do you have a alky kit? can you post pics of your engine? That is sweet on a stock cal!!!

turbo addict

what size turbo are you running, what is the specs on the engine? nice run

The torque went up a ton, but the HP was the same as your previous dyno....376 WHP you had on 28 PSI and a 50 shot. Now 30 PSI and 70 shot, 376 WHP Was it a hotter day out or something?
    I'm sure you got a lot of timing pulled to do that all on pump 94. Very impressive though, I bet EGT's are 1700+ on that no nitrous run you had. Atleast the N20 should keep things cooled down for you.
    Edit- I would also like to know your complete setup!

turbo addict

Weird thing about this trip to the dyno....None of us did what we were expecting.

For example 5.0L 1992 mustang with mild mods did 245 whp last time, added a 6 psi supercharger and went up to only 302 whp
    "project turbo neon" went from 218whp at 13 psi to 198whp with 18 psi. I KNOW and GUARANTEE the car is faster now.
    My shadow, I figured 400 whp was in the bag, but it sure didn't happen.

Either way, the numbers are what they are.

This time around, the shadow was ALOT richer (46psi fuel from 41 psi fuel and a larger fuel jet) and had 1 degree less base ignition timing (7 degrees) but the dyno wideband read similar a/f ratios. I can't explain why, but that's how it goes.

Huge air filter, small 50 trim hybrid turbo with .63a/r and a stage 2 wheel, huge fmic, diy manifolds, ported stock sized valve head, 2.5" ehxaust with cut-out, nothing really special. Lots of little things, I guess.

And one on the car.

No alky injection, just 2 cold starts and the nitrous. I do not have an EGT, I tune with wideband and knock sensor output.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Is that a standard cover machined for the T4 wheel?

turbo addict

is that a tbi header? What is that elbow you used on the swingvalve from? That is way cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Is that a standard cover machined for the T4 wheel?
    Looks to me like a super 60 cover, machined for the T4 wheel. S60 is just a ported stock .42 housing basically.
    But I see an angled outlet plus the stock T2 large can mount.

TBI header, the swingvalve look like any stock swingvalve chopped off and welded onto.
    The intake looks like it has runners from the 1 piece, though shortened.

I'm very surprised it has so much torque, mostly cuz of the nitrous I guess. I'm guessing it's a 2.2L based on that you have the square tooth pulley yet?

One other thing, are you still using the stock T1 block? If you had a common block I would think you would have a round tooth pulley.
    Whats your short block setup?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Looks like its time to step to a stage 3 wheel and ditch that stock type cover :P

You obviously have a nasty bottleneck in the system.
    You are running a TBI header so you dont have an excuse not to use a better cover

Of course there could be a lot of other things holding you back. Weird dyno results also suck cause you dont know where you were or where you are at right now in comparison.

2.5'' exhaust has got to be a cork at 376 WHP

turbo addict

This is the same turbo sold through FWDP as the small housing 50 trim hybrid.

Yes, the swingvalve is a modded stock one with a 90degree cast iron elbow welded to it, then a donut flange opened up and welded to it.

The intake started life as a 1 piece seen here - http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3234 Wow, I've had that for over 2 years! lol

It's a 2.2l t2 block from an 88 shelby z rebuild 7 years ago or so with hyperpathetic pistons too. It is a non-common block.

Different compressor housings get on the way of the firewall, and it's already been hammered back quite a bit.

The 2.5" exhaust has a cut-out about 2 feet back, it can't be *that* restricive.

turbo addict

Looks like you go to the dyno alot what would you say have been the best
    (most power gained) modifications on your car?
    What are you using to bypass the MAP cutout?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    Looks like you go to the dyno alot what would you say have been the best
    (most power gained) modifications on your car?
    What are you using to bypass the MAP cutout?
    Good question. I gained about 60whp with the manifolds and another 70+whp with the nitrous. I'd have to say nitrous because anyone who has built up an engine will tell you it's harder to get the last 50 horse power than the first 50 horse power.

But the manifolds don't run empty and are always ready without a fill-up. Tough call.

Map sensor is defeated with an adjustable zener diode bought through a guy on neons.org as a "map clamp"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Could you post some pics up of your nitrous installation?

Thanks!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Amazing you've gotten away with that much boost and spray on hypereutectics. Good for you.

I agree with Ondonti, you've got holdup somewhere. You make peak power around 4200 and it immediately dives off to a loss of around 100 WHP by 6K.

Then again, if you're happy with it fantastic! If you're wondering about it, then I'd say you've found a cork somewhere and it needs rectifying.

By the outward appearance of your manifold selection, depending on cam and how good the head is, your peak HP should be at least 1K rpms higher.

EDIT* What valve springs are you on?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Could you post some pics up of your nitrous installation?

Thanks!
    I'm guessing you want more than just a picture of a nozzle in the intercooler tubing. I'll try for some through the week.

8valves- it all caught up to me last week. I didn't adjust fuel pressure for the cooler air that night and more imprtantly, didn't watch my gauges. Engine is torched.

The head is probably the cork in my case, it's just a clean-up port job and a set of back-cut valves. Maybe the intercooler piping isn't helping either. Some of it is 2 1/4" and there are some really nasty tight bends.

I run a super 60 cam and the matching valve springs. But I'm happy with it. I love big torque.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    I run a super 60 cam and the matching valve springs. But I'm happy with it. I love big torque.
    When the car is apart have the spring pressures checked. My old 061 Mopar springs were down to 60 seat and 81 lbs open pressure after I took the car apart. I wish I would've known that before.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'm guessing you want more than just a picture of a nozzle in the intercooler tubing. I'll try for some through the week.

8valves- it all caught up to me last week. I didn't adjust fuel pressure for the cooler air that night and more imprtantly, didn't watch my gauges. Engine is torched.

The head is probably the cork in my case, it's just a clean-up port job and a set of back-cut valves. Maybe the intercooler piping isn't helping either. Some of it is 2 1/4" and there are some really nasty tight bends.

Bummer about the engine. Is this what precipitated the hybrid motor thread I saw yesterday?

turbo addict

awh I WANT THAT STICKER

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Bummer about the engine. Is this what precipitated the hybrid motor thread I saw yesterday?

Exactly I'll probably end up with another 8 valve, but this time with forged pistons and probably methanol injection. I'm thinking methanol alone *might* have saved me from this failure. But more power is.....well......MORE.

8valves - those valve springs are very fresh, maybe 3 months old, but they will be checked before the next head is assembled.

1966 dart wagon - To get a sticker like that, you only needed to attend sdac-18. It was in the goody bag. I've thought for a long time where to place that sticker. I like my choice.

turbo addict

Well, almost 2 months too late, sorry about that.

Bottle mount, and yes. I keep spare pistons. lol

Activation button Ghetto taped to the shifter

Arming switch.

Wot switch

The solenoids never were attached to anything.

Mess of wiring. Power was taken from the A/C relay, My car never had A/C, but the wiring is still there. Always on, not ignition fed.

Sleepy, eh?

There's a video too!

Last edited by shadow88; 11-11-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast