Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nitrous dyno

turbo addict

Cool Nitrous dyno

Last Thursday, I drove the shadow over to my favourite mustang specialty shop for some dyno testing. The first run was set at 30 psi boost and a 70hp jet of nitrous. The clutch slipped like crazy, no impressive numbers.The second run was made with boost alone. 298whp with 344wtq with 25 psi boost 8 degrees timing and the stock 2 bar cal.. We gave it some cool down time for the clutches' sake and tried the last pull with the 50hp jet to try to give the clutch a chance to grip.

Boost went to 28 psi and the run was cut short due to the slipping clutch. This nitrous stuff is great fun and hazzardous to my clutch and front tires.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Nitrous dyno

Have you put a new clutch in the car since I read about it slipping last? I am assuming you haven't otherwise I would imagine that there would be swearing involved.

Nice numbers for that boost level with your setup for sure. You are running a TBI header correct? Were these runs with race gas?

turbo addict

Same rev-lok clutch. I should have a new one ordered by the end of today. I wanted to have an idea of the torque the engine made so a better clutch selection could be made this time.

TBI header and pump 94. I was thrilled to see over 400 wtq. I bet there's 400 whp in it with a proper clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow88 View Post
    Same rev-lok clutch. I should have a new one ordered by the end of today. I wanted to have an idea of the torque the engine made so a better clutch selection could be made this time.

TBI header and pump 94. I was thrilled to see over 400 wtq. I bet there's 400 whp in it with a proper clutch.
    I bet you're right. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see some new times with the new clutch. What did you decide on by the way?

turbo addict

I'm honestly waiting for Chris to add them to his website so I can order them.

The place near me was less than helpful with clutch selection.

I'm honestly waiting for Chris to add them to his website so I can order them.

The place near me was less than helpful with clutch selection.
    Interesting. It is the worst when local guys won't help you out. It was the best when I worked a couple blocks away from a hydraulic supply place. I got all my lines and fittings for next to nothing, and no shipping to boot. Those were the days.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Looks like the engine likes the nitrous alot more than the clutch does!!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Hopefully you dont use the stock plate that comes with the revlok when you get your new clutch.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Those are some damn good numbers,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    It is the worst when local guys won't help you out.
    Thats the worst, because honestly 9 times out of 10 you can buy stuff online cheaper but have to wait. Seems they'd bend over backwards to earn your business.

Nice numbers on the car. Shadow 88.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice pulls! Now get a fricken clutch!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Thank you, thank you. According to Chris @TU the clutch should be here any moment. He said he'll e-mail shipping and tracking info this evening.

I'm buying and testing (lab rat style) TU's new purple pressure plate and 4 puck ceramic disc. Chris tells me I should be the first to have one installed, and I will, as soon as it gets here. I already have a freshly machined flywheel waiting at work and a hybrid 520/555 transmission built by Dave Rose waiting and ready to go.

Mike, the engine and I both are HUGE fans of the nitrous. Driveline failures be damned, this stuff's a hoot.

Hybrid booster

awsome numbers

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Mike, the engine and I both are HUGE fans of the
    nitrous. Driveline failures be damned, this stuff's a hoot.
    That's great! The challenge will be to keep it to a HP level that the parts can handle, seems like we find ourselves wanting to put "the big jets" in "just once to try and touch a ___sec time", DON'T DO IT! Too much is too much no matter if it's only one time (and it wouldn't be! ). I say this more as a warning to others, I know you're pretty conservative with the nitrous.

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic

Have you received the purple plate yet? If so, what do you think of it? I have one on order with a 6 puck ceramic disc and am hoping it will handle at least 450lb-ft of torque. If your new clutch doesn't hold for you, I'll have to think of something else to use!

turbo addict

Clutch arrived last week while I was on holidays. I'll be installing it this weekend. Once it's broken in, you'll all know about it. I'll keep you all and Chris in touch, I'll just keep this thread going rather than starting a new one.

boostaholic

My clutch is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so it looks like we'll both have the purple plate in testing around the same time. I'm curious to see how our opinions differ.

turbo addict

what you meant by timing was 8 degrees TDC right what fuel are you running with that boost and what other mods do you have

HOW do you keep your EGTS down with a stock computer?
    Last edited by 1BADVAN; 09-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADVAN View Post
    what you meant by timing was 8 degrees TDC right what fuel are you running with that boost and what other mods do you have

HOW do you keep your EGTS down with a stock computer?
    Yes 8* BTDC base timing. Running pump 94. Lots of other mods, DIY manifolds, hybrid turbo, super 60 cam, fmic, really, lots.

And now onto the good news......

Dynoed last night at 30 psi, 70 shot, and NO CLUTCH SLIP!!! Max 376whp and 447wtq

This purple plate and 4 puck ceramic from TU really did the trick! Thanks Chris!

That is some serious action. Congratulations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast