Thread: Leaking oil - headgasket

Hybrid booster

Leaking oil - headgasket

Just got my lebaron back together this weekend with the help of a few tm enthusiasts and got it fired and running.

Everything checks good and seems to be working fine but I have an oil leak from the rear passenger side of the head - only place I have oil - complete block was cleaned and spotless when we put it in.

Pan is not leaking since oil would not go up the block and valve cover is clean also - just the rh rear corner has it.

No smoke out the exhaust - down pipe right now, no antifreeze leaks and good oil pressure so I am wondering what and why it is doing this and possible solution.

I was going to borrow another torque wrench to double check the torques on the head bolts other than that I am stumped.

Last edited by clarkwhoracing; 08-04-2008 at 05:47 AM.

Hybrid booster

Re: Leaking oil - headgasket

Kinda sounds like what Bubba ran into.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ight=head+leak

Any easy fix with it on the car??

Hybrid booster

Are you sure it is not coming from the cam seal behind the sorocket? Head leak would suck.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Not sure if that helps: When I reassambled my head I damaged the cam seal so oil was lost there getting down behind the timing belt cover and was first seen on the rear block.

Other point to look is if the turbo oil return is sealed.

And yes, read that thread posted above. This is interesting!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Did nothing to the cam, block or the head - just cleaned up / inspected everything and re-assembled with new head gasket and other gaskets that needed to be replaced - everything was good on all parts before putting it together. Torqued everything to the specs - only thing I did not do is seal the intake bolts - did the exhaust bolts though and nothing leaking there.

Return line and everything else back there is not leaking from what I can tell - oil coming from top leaking down.

I think it is one of the intake bolts leaking since there is a slight coating on the exhaust manifold on the last visible bolt that I can see - similar to what Bubba ran into but you never know.

I will take some pics before cleaning everything up and then have the car jacked up and running to see if I can see where the leak is coming from.

Always a challenge with these but I am learing a good bit about them during all this. Hopefully it will help me in the future and everyones help on the board!

Hybrid booster

Well the leak up top seems to have disappear but looks as if the main crank on passenger side seal is leaking - that is where I see it now - have to get my boost / no power issue fixed then will fix the seal.