Thread: How close are turbo and non-turbo wiring harnesses?

turbo addict

How close are turbo and non-turbo wiring harnesses?

I cant find a freakin wiring harness to save my life (or to get my car running again). Its like im looking for the holy grail or something. Been on the phone for hours calling yards all over.

I can find plenty of non-turbo harnesses for 88/89 Shadow, but no turbos. How close are they? Will the under dash stuff snap right in without mods? I would assume I would have to wire the xtra injector driver and pickup for the distributor. What else?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: How close are turbo and non-turbo wiring harnesses?

I've done the swap to an '88 Omni TBI harness and converted it to turbo using parts and connectors from an '88 Shelby Z harness. I just cut the necessary turbo-specific pigtail and components and integrated them into the '88 TBI harness and made it all factory-like and used the TII SMEC.

The 60-pin TBI SMEC connector will need to be modified. You'll need to add some pins into it and modify the keyway so it will fit into a TI/TII SMEC case. I actually cut and spliced the whole TII SMEC connector on in place of the TBI SMEC connector because it was so brittle it was difficult to work with. The TBI SMEC pinout is actually almost the same as the TI/TII. It just has a few extra circuits for the additional sensors and drivers. The 14-pin connector also has to be changed out for the TI/TII connector because it has additional circuits for the injector control wires and there is no easy way to add pins to the shell.

The TBI uses most of the same sensors as the TI/TII, but some of them are in different locations or use a different style plug. You'll have to identify the circuits one at a time and either lengthen or shorten the wiring for it's proper position for TI/II engine. The O2 sensor connector will have to be moved, the 'throttle body temp sensor' becomes the charge temp sensor (same wires and SMEC pin locations), the EGR solenoid wiring becomes the wastegate solenoid (same wires/SMEC pins). The TBI uses only one injector driver, but the TI/II use two so another injector driver wire will have to be installed from the SMEC to the fuel rail connector. You'll also have to run a wire from the SMEC for the knock sensor since TBI engines did not use them. This might sound complicated depending on your ability, but it's actually not that difficult to make it look and function like stock and emulate how the Chrysler engineers would have done it.

If there is anything in particular you want to know about just ask. It's been a few years since I made the harness but I still have some notes and a decent memory.

turbo addict

Thats basically what I was thinking it would entail......maybe a bit more, but that will work as a last resort. I just found a lead on a turbo harness....we'll see if that pans out. Thanks for your input.

Hybrid booster

Sean - Why are you looking for an 88/89 harness? The 89 csx used a prototype 90 harness and a SBEC. Are you looking run a smec or something?

Pretty sure I have 90 T1 harness in my stash if you want to use a SBEC...

If SMEC is the direction you settle on, I think I have an '88 turbo P body harness in the garage somewhere.

Pat

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    If SMEC is the direction you settle on, I think I have an '88 turbo P body harness in the garage somewhere.

Pat
    Please let me know. Ive got a couple of leads right now, but none have panned out yet.

Hybrid booster

Wow, I just saw your other thread with the 90 harness for sale. If you don't mind me asking, what's differnt about a the 90 P-Body harness that it won't work (seeing that you went as far as socketing the SBEC and then abandoned using it)?

I always thought the 89's CSX had the same harness as the 90 VNT's (which is the same as a 90 T1 P-Body harness), so that's why I'd like to learn where the differences come into play - just to shove back into my brain for future use (got 2 89 csx's and ya never know what might happen).

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    Wow, I just saw your other thread with the 90 harness for sale. If you don't mind me asking, what's differnt about a the 90 P-Body harness that it won't work (seeing that you went as far as socketing the SBEC and then abandoned using it)?

I always thought the 89's CSX had the same harness as the 90 VNT's (which is the same as a 90 T1 P-Body harness), so that's why I'd like to learn where the differences come into play - just to shove back into my brain for future use (got 2 89 csx's and ya never know what might happen).
    Well as far as I can tell by looking at different wiring diagrams, the 89 CSX uses an 89 harness with an SBEC connector. So, most of the computer stuff is all 90, but the alternator harness is 89 and all the connections under the dash is all 89. The alternator harness isnt that big of a deal. Some cutting a splicing and I can bring the two together no prob. THe dash is a nightmare. I would say about 50% of the wiring is different. THe ignition switch, for instance, is on a totally different part of the harness.....on the 89 CSX is on the engine side of the harness.....on the 90, its on the dash side of the harness. That alone would be a huge pain to rewire. Not to mention there are about 3 or 4 other pigtail ends that dont match up. When I got to looking at it and the diagrams, I realized how much work it would be. Look at the harnesses, find the wire on each diagram, identify the colors and then figure out how it can be routed to work......do the actual soldering/connecting/heat shrinking and move to the next.......repeat about 30 times. Id be there for two days!

Hybrid booster

I realized how much work it would be. Look at the harnesses, find the wire on each diagram, identify the colors and then figure out how it can be routed to work......do the actual soldering/connecting/heat shrinking and move to the next.......repeat about 30 times. Id be there for two days!
    LOL! Yup, that would suck.

I never really looked closely at any of my 89 csx's interior harnesses (guess I've been lucky) and I always thought they would be the same as the 90 - thinking that the csx just got an early version both the engine and dash harness of the 90 VNT/T1 turbo cars.

Thanks for info, and good luck with the project!

Jon