Thread: Where to get oversize t2 pistons?

Garrett booster

Where to get oversize t2 pistons?

All,
    I am working on an 89 Shelby Daytona that i bought a few years ago with "only" a bad headgasket.... a bolt fell out and the water pump belt came off, he kept going down the highway till the car wouldnt run anymore.
    well my daughter is ready to drive it so we grabbed a head from the j-yard a few months ago, had it checked, ported it, back-cut the valves, fresh valve job etc.. we finally get some time to sweap them out and just my luck, the #4 piston is no longer round! the #4 combustion chamber was also now missing large portions of aluminum. the remainder appear to have excessive p/w clearance so boring it is next. i am trying to find pistons and need some guidance. forged would be great but she is going to college next month and is only one of my six children....
    TIA,
    James

turbo addict

Re: Where to get oversize t2 pistons?

Try either place

www.turbosunleashed.com

www.fwdperformance.com

I've had great luck with both. Trust me spend the extra on forged.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

turbo addict

I wouldn't use that block. Easier to find a running common block 2.5L and put it in there.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Parts stores, machine shops, Ebay, Me.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

all i found @ tu & fdp were forged. i need os (.020-.040) cast lumps, will go forged if it ends up that way

tvanman, if you have some shoot me a pm with the info.

we pulled the motor tonight, will strip it down the rest of the way tomorrow.

i considered a 2.5 but i want to keep the forged crank, the motor only had about 8k on a rebuild when dip***t ran it into the ground. i have read where plenty of folks run cast cranks, this is a street car and heavy (for a td) so i don't want to, blame my v8 upbringing

turbo addict

The cast crank is no weaker than the forged unit.

Your local auto parts store should be able to order oversized pistons for you (Advance Auto carries .020, .030, .040).

TurboII

napa has them too. they come with rings and sold as singles too. i think they were like 36 bucks a piston.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by stormy69 View Post
    i considered a 2.5 but i want to keep the forged crank, the motor only had about 8k on a rebuild when dip***t ran it into the ground. i have read where plenty of folks run cast cranks, this is a street car and heavy (for a td) so i don't want to, blame my v8 upbringing

I don't care if the engine has 1 mile, if it was hot enough to make the piston not round anymore, I would not use the block.

2.5L drop-in replacement will be faster and cheaper than rebuilding. Plus, 2.5L is going to better for a street and heavy car. Ask me how I know.

Garrett booster

ugh.. you guys are killin me next trip to the pick-a-part i will see whats available in 2.5...
    THANKS!

I was also raised with V8's, but I use cast cranks in everything.

I'm not a fan of the 2.5L at all though unless it's a drag only car. I hated every minute of it when I had a 2.5 in my shadow, could never ever get traction it just made sooo much torque. This is after I got my cal properly setup, which was like night and day over a stock cal.
    Plus, fuel mileage takes a large hit with a 2.5L.
    My advice, go ahead and find a 2.5 in the junkyard....and just re-use your old 2.2 crank from your engine thats in the car now. Just get the crank checked for straightness and have it turned. Then you will still have your forged crank. Although I found a 90's 2.2 TBI engine which have a cast crank. Cast cranks are better because they let the engine rev faster. There is no downfall to a cast crank in our engines.

turbo addict

I like the 2.5L in my Daytona Shelby a lot better than the 2.2L. No traction problem here, I use Nitto NT 450 tires.

24mpg in city and 31mpg on highway on average. If I keeps it at 42mpg in 5th get I get.

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I like the 2.5L in my Daytona Shelby a lot better than the 2.2L. No traction problem here, I use Nitto NT 450 tires.

24mpg in city and 31mpg on highway on average. If I keeps it at 42mpg in 5th get I get.
    ]

What mods do you have? Granted a shadow is slightly lighter, but I was only running ~300 WHP with the 2.5 at 25 PSI boost in my shadow, one time I broke the tires loose in 4th gear on the highway. No street tire will make THAT much difference, with better tires I would have gotten full traction in 4th no problem, but even with DR's I bet 3rd would have been tough to get it. And I had the swaybar shimmed, it was spinning both.

turbo addict

Not everybody is running past the factory overboost setting of 15psi. 2.5L is fine for those people.

With my GLH, I can break traction with 10psi and 3rd gear...

Garrett booster

unless i get a smokin deal on some 2.2 pistons, i am going to do the 2.5. i have heard others complain of the mileage drop, obviously a concern for most people, including me these days. if i get 30 on the highway (speed limit is 75 here, i do 80-85) i will be happy. i live 4 miles from work so city mileage doesn't even matter to me.

turbo addict

2.5 Tbi 5 speed cars are known to get 30 on the highway easy.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    2.5 Tbi 5 speed cars are known to get 30 on the highway easy.
    I could see that cuz I can get 27 out on the 2.5 TBI 5spd in my dakota if I stay 65 MPH or so. Over 70 MPH it drops to 24-25ish. So with a car with less wind resistance, 30 is easily possible.