Thread: Putting a 555 in a 84 Daytona? Advice welcome!

Hybrid booster

Putting a 555 in a 84 Daytona? Advice welcome!

So, I have the tranny, the bracket that goes on the tranny (for cables), the cables, the shifter, the clutch/brake pedal combo, the clutch cable bracket, the front K member out of a 555 car, the plate that went underneath the console/armrest, a 5 speed console piece, and what not.

I've been slowly gathering these parts (took about 10 months of somewhat serious searching) to convert my 84 Turbo Z to the 555 when the time is right. (probably when the 413 goes)

My main question is.... am I going to have a hard time mounting the shifter to my car. I did grab the bracket out of an 88/89 that the console piece mounts onto. My main concern is if that if the piece that was spot welded on the car is different than what I have on my 84... am I going to be up sh_t creek without a paddle? I'm sure I'll be able to figure out someway to rig it up.

Just wondering what others have done when converting theirs to the 555. I guess anyone with an 84-86 G body would know.

Any advice or tech tips are greatly appreciated.

Re: Putting a 555 in a 84 Daytona? Advice welcome!

When I put a 555 in my L body I just bolted the shifter to the floor so it would line up in the console. So you could always do that.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

When I put an A555 in my 84 Laser, the floor bracket was the same from the 84 shifter to the 89 shifter. It has been my experience that all of the shifters, auto and stick use almost exactly the same mounting with the exception of some small tabs that might need to be removed or slots that need widening for larger bolts. It should be a bolt in with the exception of drilling a hole for the clutch cable, and using a hole saw to cut the hole for the shifter cables. I have always ended up rolling the dash out to install the pedals. Most exhaust shops are willing to weld the bobble strut mount to the K frame as long as it isn't too greasy.
    84 Laser XE TII A555 89 Caravan SE TIV A568

Hybrid booster

Thanks. You told me what I wanted to hear! Don't you love it when that happens.
    I got the brake/clutch pedals out of a car that Billy and Pat Lofink were parting out, so I knew about having to take the darn dash out. Thanks though! Hadn't I known that... I would have figured it'd be a weekend job. I'm just gonna change the K member when I do it. I'm gonna sandblast the one I have for a 5 speed and the extra control arms I got and then paint so it's somehat perty` when it's all said and done.