Thread: Timing Belt Tension

Hybrid booster

Timing Belt Tension

Ok, at Carlisle my belt tension read 70ft-lbs.

Looking at the FSM, it recommends 110 for a new belt and 70 for a used one. I know 95 is the target so, should I tension mine to 95?

And what is the best way of tightening the belt up?

Thanks...

Moe

Re: Timing Belt Tension

how old is the belt? best way to tighten is the get the belt tension gauge and adjust the tensioner

turbo addict

You know you have to loosen the rocker shafts to measure the tension right? If they are tight it could be higher or lower. But for your case I wouldn't worry about it until you put the car back together.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Jackson, the resident guru wants 90/95 new or used so I would tighten it up a bit. For you, I would just loosen the bolt a tad and just give the tensioner a little nudge. That should do the trick.

I know I get bashed for this but I've tensioned my belt with and without the rocker arms and found no difference but I did have it at TDC.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

You can do it with the rocker arms tight I found if you set the gauge between the cams and have an assistant pull the two cam gear bolts toward each other with a pair of 19mm wrenches. That has gotten a pretty accurate reading for me. I would roll the motor over a few times and check it like three times this way to see if you get a consistant reading.

I always leave the lower timing cover off on all my TIIIs so its easier to get to the tensioner. If you have the lower splash shield in place you shouldnt have a problem even in the rain or snow.

Did you fix that intake keeper yet Mo?

The limited time I drove mine in the rain and snow, with the timing belt covers off and the splash shield on, I had no water or snow in that area.

I just got FWD's underdrive pulley, you can now retension the belt without removing the serp belt and crank pulley,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    You can do it with the rocker arms tight I found if you set the gauge between the cams and have an assistant pull the two cam gear bolts toward each other with a pair of 19mm wrenches. That has gotten a pretty accurate reading for me. I would roll the motor over a few times and check it like three times this way to see if you get a consistant reading.

I always leave the lower timing cover off on all my TIIIs so its easier to get to the tensioner. If you have the lower splash shield in place you shouldnt have a problem even in the rain or snow.

Did you fix that intake keeper yet Mo?
    No not yet. I just got back from vacation. I want to correct the belt tension first and since the head is cracked anyway, I'm looking to just go ahead and either install another head or repair/rebuild mine.

I'll PM you.

Will I need to remove the right wheel to access the tensioner or do I get to it from underneath? Would i need someone to hold those wrenches while I'm adjusting?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    Will I need to remove the right wheel to access the tensioner or do I get to it from underneath? Would i need someone to hold those wrenches while I'm adjusting?

You have to remove the wheel, splash shield, serpentine belt and tensioner pulley, crank pulley and the covers if they are there. You need an allen wrench-can't remember what size and a 15mm wrench or socket. If you just want to give it a nudge, just mark the tensioner, loosen the bolt a bit holding the tensioner, and just give it a 1/16 or so and I bet you'll be bang on,

boostaholic

With the lower cover off all you have to do is pull off the serp belt and the serp tensioner pulley and loosen the 15mm head bolt for the timing tensioner and move the tensioner with a 8mm hex socket. I like to leave the 15mm tensioner bolt snug so you can just move the tensioner with the hex socket.

Call me later if you want Mo

boostaholic

Hey Mo
    I found a few spare TIII intake keepers if you want me to throw them in an envelope. PM me your address....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Lotashelbys View Post
    Hey Mo
    I found a few spare TIII intake keepers if you want me to throw them in an envelope. PM me your address....
    Done.
    Thanks...