Thread: DOHC Cam timing Discussion

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

DOHC Cam timing Discussion

I'm a 16V n00b so thought I'd start a thread discussing tips and pointers on cam timing.

I have a 2.4L, but this discussion should be good for those, plus T-III, Masi, etc DOHC applications so lets try to compile everyones experiences and knowledge in one thread

So, in general, for each the Intake and Exhaust cam, what are the perforance effects from Advanceing or Retarding each?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Re: DOHC Cam timing Discussion

The neon performance book I have recommends the following for dohc.

Retard the exhaust cam until power is stabilized. Then advance the intake cam until power is stabilized.

They really don't go over how the powerband will be affected. They constantly state "it depends on your motor". Nor do they offer any idea on how much horsepower can be made. They just talk about moving the powerband around with a preference to top end the 2. DOHC motors.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Garrett booster

SRT-Forums.com has some pretty good info on this

Cam Talk Definitions & Cam Gear Talk Understanding

By: Pit Viper - "Why you NEED to dyno-tune your cams"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit Viper
    I see way to many people setting their cams based on what someone else has, or recommends. I can't count how many times I've seen someone set their cams to -2, +2 as a good "starting point".
    There really is no replacement for going to the dyno and tuning in your car for what works the best for YOU.
    In some cases, guessing can really hurt your output. Here's a brief example. I recently took my car to tune in a new set of Crane 14's. We installed them, set at 0,0, and started there.
    First, we retarded the exhaust cam to -3 and dyno'd, then advanced it to +3. The red line is advanced, the blue line is retarded. Obviously retarding the exhaust cam was the way we wanted to go.

Next, we put the exhaust cam back to 0, and then retarded the intake cam to -3 and dyno'd, followed by setting the intake cam to +3 and dynoing. The green line is with the intake retarded, the other one is advanced.

So, while a base setting with the exhaust retarded would have been good, advancing the intake cam hurt my power big time. At the end of the day, we had the exhaust cam retarded -12, and the intake cam retarded -9 for the best power output.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I have that thread somewhere from the SRT forums with all the info, if Frank would sticky sh*t, it would be easily found.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

I bet his belt is off a tooth at the crank.

turbo addict

Retarding both moves power to top end
    Advancing both moves power to lower end
    Moving independently changes overlap and LSA(this is the part that will vary from setup to setup, so dyno or track time is best judge)
    Last edited by Speedeuphoria; 07-26-2008 at 04:07 PM.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Good advice guys, keep it coming!

After I get the car tuned at the next boost level, I will start tuning the cams.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Heroes never die, they just reload! Turbo Mopar Staff Frank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I have that thread somewhere from the SRT forums with all the info, if Frank would sticky sh*t, it would be easily found.
    Which thread? I am willing to sticky a thread here and there, you just need to request it. What I don't do is sticky five million threads like you want everywhere because... well we won't go there and beat another dead horse.
    Frank Katzenberger
    Squirrel Performance - Home of the best turbo calc!!!
    http://www.squirrelpf.com

91 Daytona Shelby - It is getting there

87 Shelby CSX #418 - Near stock is a good thing!

94 Bronco 302 XLT - Shorty Headers, 3" exhaust, cold air intake, & Soft top

"... to get the best out of it, you have to go beyond the line. Where bravery becomes insanity. Shall I turn into this hairpin bend at a 100mph? Why not!"

Visit the new Knowledge Center today!

Check out the one and only Shelby Dodge Registry!

turbo addict

well that sticky on srtforums was removed, then they reposted it in a thread but it was never stickied again, also it had the adjustments and what they do backwards on some.
    heres the copy over here
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21837

turbo addict

cause the forums would be full of Simon's sticky mess?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    cause the forums would be full of Simon's sticky mess?
    Yeah just ask the green men in Franks avatar. They know all about that.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Yeah just ask the green men in Franks avatar. They know all about that.
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I've always looked at it like I've got a single cam that I can move the intake and exhaust lobes on the shaft relative to the sprocket (and each other). So, I can advance or retard each side (intake or exhaust),and in the process I can change the Lobe Separation Angle, and opening and closing events, but not the duration or profile. Its pretty cool, but it does open up a pretty big can of worms. Kinda like a 4 Link in a RWD car, there are 400 combos, but only 10 that "work".

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

From what I have gathered looking at dyno plots and reading notes from people who have been tuning with DOHC engine this seems to be a general rule of thumb:

1. Exhaust timing will move the powerband vertically.

2. Intake timing will move it horizontally.

3. Go spend some time on a dyno to see what exact timing works well for your setup.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford