Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sounds loose

Garrett booster

sounds loose

the exhaust on my 85 charger sound like its loose or something but its not. i have no power in the upper rpm ranges and it hesitates real bad on take off this is the first time in like 8 years the car has been moving under its own power. the exhaust man bolts appear to be tight as well any ideas or weak spots i should know about? or anything else that i can check?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: sounds loose

If the cat is still there, bang on it with the engine off, I bet its come apart and blocking the exhaust, either replace with a high flow unit or run some straight pipe.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

ok ill try that

Garrett booster

the cat is fine the extra noise sounds like it comes from under the heat shield under the fuel rail/intake man. maybe i blew the exhaust man to turbo gasket, is there one?

I still think your cat is plugged. Disconnect your DP and go for a drive, I bet its fixed.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

dp as in down pipe right? what exactly am i listening for when i hit the cat...... something loose or rattling ?

Quote Originally Posted by whseguy View Post
    dp as in down pipe right? what exactly am i listening for when i hit the cat...... something loose or rattling ?
    Yes, give it a good whack with your fist.

Yep, drop the DP or down pipe and go for a drive, it will be a bit loud but I bet you'll find your power is back and then some.

Garrett booster

ok ill try that today

Garrett booster

ok dropped the dp went for a drive still hesitates a little, but power is back. so i cut out the cat ran straight pipe, hooked it all back up, started the car and the same exhaust leak sound is still there, loss of power again and still hesitating. doughnut gasket is ok and the bolts are tight. does this = exh man gasket or exh man to turbo gasket?

turbo addict

sounds like your turbo is seized up and the exh wheel is blocking the exhaust from escaping creating severe backpressure. Try and remove the lower intake hose and spin the turbo wheel and see if it spins freely...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

the turbo whines and makes power like its supposed to. plus it still has the rebuild tag on it looks brand new.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Cat was for sure one of your probelms, when you cut it out, was it hollow? All the substrate can get blown inot the stock chambered muffler then you still have a restriction problem. I think this was already mentioned above. Do you have a vac/boost gauge on the car? Less than 14-15" of vac at idle would point to that sort of problem and when in boost you would be able to tell a bit more about what the turbo is doing than just whine In my experience, a new turbo is MOST LIKELY to fail when it is 'brand new' If it makes it past the first 1500 miles, it will go for 50X that.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

wasnt hollow but definately plugged up i couldnt see any light through it at all and the screens in it looked full of stuff. i could barely force air through it.no vac/boost but i measured it my self it make 20-24in hg at idle and when i make it boost the gauge reads 12 in hg less. i was using a vac guage attached to the manifold press. source.

All that crap could have blown into the muffler. I would now do a proper check on timing, fuel pressure etc. When was the fuel filter last changed?

turbo addict

the exhaust on my 85 charger sound like its loose or something but its not. i have no power in the upper rpm ranges and it hesitates real bad on take off this is the first time in like 8 years the car has been moving under its own power. the exhaust man bolts appear to be tight as well any ideas or weak spots i should know about? or anything else that i can check?
    I re-read your original post and have a couple other questions. You say it's the first time it's moved in eight years. Did you drain the old gas and put in new? Sounds like it has bad gas in it possibly. Couple that with a stretched timing belt and possibly bad plugs, wires, cap, etc. and you have your recipe for poopiness.

Let us know a little bit more about the car and the history of it, as well as any tuneup stuff(dates, what was changed, etc) and we will be able to help further...
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Garrett booster

just did timing 12* like the book says. fuel filter changed two days ago. and i have all kinds of fuel pressure. the computer tells me o2 sensor reads rich. if that means much.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

wasnt hollow but definately plugged up i couldnt see any light through it at all and the screens in it looked full of stuff. i could barely force air through it.no vac/boost but i measured it my self it make 20-24in hg at idle and when i make it boost the gauge reads 12 in hg less. i was using a vac guage attached to the manifold press. source.
    I'm still keyed in on a restriction somewhere in the exhaust?? 24" of vac is like the max you would see if you were going down a steep hill and 'engine braking' so I'm not sure I understand how you got 20-24 at idle.

Can you unbolt at the straitpipe you put in the cat location and drive again.

Also, if your fuel tank is full of sludge from 8+years of sitting, a new fuel filter can clog up in 2 minutes, let alone 2 whole days. You mentioned you have plenty of fuel pressure, are you measuring while driving under load or while it's idleing in the driveway? Did the fuel tank get drained and inspected for goo?

Sounds like you are getting close

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Garrett booster

ok new gas fuel filter, cv joints, wheel hubs, brakes (rotors, calipers, pads , lines, master cylinder) dist. cap, rotor, hep, plugs, wires, reran all vacuums(that i had the parts for egr sys is faulty) battery, removed the air box assembly( not all the pieces were there) installed high flow spectre air filter, changed to synth. oil ,new oil filter, refillled tranny, new tires stock size orig. rims, cut out cat. ran straight pipe, adjusted shifter linkage, removed a/c, new alternator, water pump, refilled coolant, checked several things with vac guage. original owner in detroit then iowa then me. odometer says 12346 . body looks real good after sitting only rust is under back hatch and no dings in body. i hope this is enough. oh all of this done since the 19th of this month.

Garrett booster

measured while in driveway at idle and while bliping the throttle. drained yes inspected for goo no( i feel sheepish)

turbo addict

what I don't understand is that it was still crappy after running a straight pipe out(bypassing the cat- still hesitates). That tells me the problem possibly lies within the motor/tranny. The muffler may be clogged contributing to the problems for sure, but if the car is running rich, then you possibly have either a fuel or spark issue. Is it possible that the fuel pump is weak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast