Thread: MSD Ignition

Mitsu booster

Question MSD Ignition

Hi - I know that this isn't necessarily specific to the turbo mopars (as I am looking to do this on my 1990 Chrysler LeBaron 3.0L Mitsubishi V6), but how would I go about installing an MSD ignition into the car? What parts would I all need? Currently, it just has a stock ignition system, but i would like that to change and pick up a few extra HP if possible.

Thanks -mike.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Re: MSD Ignition

some guys run aftermarket ignition, but I think the majority of people still run stock. Heck, I know guys running way into the 12s and 11s and no problems with stock ignition.

but if your going to install an MSD, you really dont need anything more than the MSD box, probably a coil, and some wire connectors/solder/heat shrink wrap.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I wouldnt mess with it, get some good plugs (maybe some 3.0 guys will chime in) factory cap and rotor and some simon wires

Mitsu booster

Whatabout even a coil?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swim100flyy View Post
    Whatabout even a coil?
    Run a stock replacement or an MSD replacement.

I do sell an Aurora coil with a built in module, there frickin awesome,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

simon - more info about aurora coil please
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Run a stock replacement or an MSD replacement.

I would advise against the MSD replacement. They used to be worth something. Now they are simply chinese junk painted or molded in red.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    simon - more info about aurora coil please
    Sure, I'll see what I can dig up.

I got sold on one when my old B250 van failed our smog test, HC's due to the 8 different compression readings, installed the coil, went back thru and passed.

I know I kill/burn out regular plugs in 5K or 3000 miles, lol, so I have to use Iridiums.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I would advise against the MSD replacement. They used to be worth something. Now they are simply chinese junk painted or molded in red.

Interesting,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    The Blaster 2 and Blaster 3 coils are the same as a stock coil???

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

they aernt much better, just look nice. Actually I have seen a ton of those fail on peoples cars. Just get a good ole black one.

The newer '91+ factory coils are better, by design. Not sure if MSD has anything to offer there. For the '90 and older coil cars, I have run the recommended Blaster 3 with the 6-AL box w/o issues.

EDIT: I did have one 6A box that was in my white Dakota go bad. Would just overheat or something and die out. Sent to MSD and the replaces a capacitor ro diode or soemthing for ~$15 bucks and now it is in a TT 5.0L Mustang project... not sure if it works yet tho, LOL!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I have bought 1 or 2 to coils just to eliminate problems and I just get the Napa black cheap --- ones, they have been good to me

Agreed, the stock coils are decent.

I guess what I meant was that with a "6" box, they may offer some advantage? or at least they advertise it that way? More importantly I'm questioning if they used to but do not now cuz they are made in China? Where were they made before?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Mitsu booster

"The biggest problem in working with the 3.0 is trying to work around the factory computer, which retards the timing after 15 sec of full throttle with the automatic and immediately with the stick." - ALLPAR (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3up.html)

Wouldn't running an MSD ignition solve part of this?

"The biggest problem in working with the 3.0 is trying to work around the factory computer, which retards the timing after 15 sec of full throttle with the automatic and immediately with the stick." - ALLPAR (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3up.html)

No, because the computer is in control of the spark advance due to the optical distributor. The only way to get rid of it would be to a) trick the computer, b) have the cal changed if possible by one of our many computer programming guru's, c) run standalone.

hasnt anyone made any custom tunes? Like burn your own chip like the 2.2/2.5? I have always wondered this

turbo addict

I really don't want to get in a pi$$ing contest but I've had good luck with MSD stuff. I put a 6A box on a '99 Ram and ran it until I traded the truck in '02.

I have a 6A box in my '68 Sweptline to run the ignition on a 440 and it also has a Blaster 2 coil.

I put a 6A box in my '86 Daytona recently. Unfortunately, I made some other changes at the same time, but the throttle response coming off idle is great now. I also have a Blaster 2 coil in the '86.

My best friend ran the Mopar version of the 6A box (or 6AL, I can't remember which one Mopar has painted black and put a sticker on) on his '02 Ram from '02 until he sold the truck this year.

I only have a few years of experience with these, not decades like some others, but I've always found them to be a good product.

I do think one of their claims may be better fuel economy ... that is something I've never seen. Having more power only encourages me to mash the gas to the mat.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Wow if that is true, that really sucks... especially since with most 3.0 powered cars, after 15 seconds there is still quite a bit of a 1/4 mile pass left....
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=