Thread: Oil leak on pass side of GLHT

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

Oil leak on pass side of GLHT

as I go through the issues with my GLHT, I fix one, find another. So now Ive found another!

Ive got an oil leak. Somewhere on the passenger side of the block, somewhere between the bottom of valve cover, and the top of the oil pan. The bottom of the pan is clean, but there is oil covering a LOT of the side (or the front, what ever you want to call it) of the block, and everything behind it. Basically where ever the oil is coming from its getting all over everything behind the engine, including the firewall, k-frame, axle, etc.

Two places Im looking at are the front seal and the valve cover, but Im not seeing anything significant in those areas just yet. Its NOT the power steering system as the pump has been removed until I can put in a new one.

Im going to put some flourscent dye in the system today, so what Im really looking for here are suggestions on where to look, or past experiences that might help me pinpoint the problem.

thanks!
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

boostaholic

Re: Oil leak on pass side of GLHT

Make sure you look at the intermediate shaft seal too. Its a hard one to spot with the engine in the car, especially if the timing belt covers are on. Did you put all the bolts back when you removed the power steering pump? I remember hearing somewhere that casting/machining differences caused some of the bolts that hold on the PS pump bracket to go in to oil passages or the crankcase or something in some blocks. But, I may be completely wrong on that one.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    Make sure you look at the intermediate shaft seal too. Its a hard one to spot with the engine in the car, especially if the timing belt covers are on. Did you put all the bolts back when you removed the power steering pump? I remember hearing somewhere that casting/machining differences caused some of the bolts that hold on the PS pump bracket to go in to oil passages or the crankcase or something in some blocks. But, I may be completely wrong on that one.
    Good suggestion but if it went into an oil passage and he didn't have the pump installed at all then he would have no oil pressure

That seems like alot of oil covering everything for it to be a small leak. I would be willing to bet whatever it is that it happens under boost...pressurizing the crankcase and pushing the oil past the seal(s)...and with the car being at speed the turbulence causes it to go everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    I wondered about the intermediate shaft, but all the oil seems to be at the back of the block. The dye will tell the tale!

as for PS pump, well the bracket is still on the car. Ill have to check the bolts while Im looking around. That area is pretty wet in general!
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    That seems like alot of oil covering everything for it to be a small leak. I would be willing to bet whatever it is that it happens under boost...pressurizing the crankcase and pushing the oil past the seal(s)...and with the car being at speed the turbulence causes it to go everywhere.
    Im wondering the same thing Andy. I fired the car up last night and layed under it for a while just watching. I never saw anything while I was there watching.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Im wondering the same thing Andy. I fired the car up last night and layed under it for a while just watching. I never saw anything while I was there watching.
    I've had the same troubles in the past especially with older bottom ends (regardless of mileage). I'm sure the right thing to do is replace all the seals but making sure the crankcase is properly ventillated sure does help prolong things...as it's pent up pressure that's causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Good suggestion but if it went into an oil passage and he didn't have the pump installed at all then he would have no oil pressure

Double +1 and agreed. I had an oil leak at the intermediate shaft, thought it was somewhere else. I took it off, sealed it and ZERO oil on that side anymore. Got rid of that nasty oil stain on the timing belt.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

when you replace the intermediate shaft seal, what is the procedure? are you pulling the shaft? just pulling the gear? etc. Ive never had one out.

Right now Im waiting for it to get dark. I put 1 oz of dye in the car when I left work, and grabbed the UV gun. As soon as it gets dark it will be EASY to spot the problem area.
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

When you do get back under it tonight, set up a comfy blanket under there, a pillow maybe and be sure to have the coat hangers and marshmallows Mmm, exhaust manifold Smores

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    when you replace the intermediate shaft seal, what is the procedure? are you pulling the shaft? just pulling the gear? etc. Ive never had one out.
    The best way is probably to pull the gear and the seal retainer. Pop the old seal out, clean up the retainer real good with some brake cleaner and check it over for nicks and gouges on the seal journal surface. I think the FSM calls for a little bit of anaerobic sealant around the new seal and it just presses in to place. Use regular black RTV for the retainer-to-block surface.

The other way would be to pop off the gear, pry out the old seal with an awl or something (carefully, of course) clean the journal out as best you can with a rag and brake cleaner. Sealer on the new seal and press in to place.

I did mine the long way, but I also had the engine on a stand at the time and it was considerably easier.

well, amazingly enough (knock on wood) I think this is going to be an easy fix.

I shot some pictures of the dyed/UV lite side of the engine. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that the oil leak must be coming from the valve cover gasket. All the other seals in the area were dry and void of an UV tracer, and the pass corner of the head under the gasket was WET with the yellow UV glow. Its funny though, I put 1 oz of the UV dye in the oil when I left work. I have a 3.1 mile drive home, then I let the car sit. So all the yellow glowing dye you see in these pictures was from a grand total of 3.1 miles of driving!

Pics arent the best due to the conditions, but you can make out a lot of stuff if you look. All of them were taken from the passenger side of the car, looking down at the engine.

Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

boostaholic

Well cool, that'll be easy to fix.

yeah, should be! I still cant believe how much oil is coming out of there. I wonder if not having a PCV hooked up is allowing excess pressure to build up under the valve cover??
    Clay
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

boostaholic

Well, it probably doesn't help.

I had a TBI car that would leak pretty bad from the back corners of the valve cover if I did some hard acceleration. Well, as hard as a stock TBI acclaim could accelerate anyway. It seemed that the oil would pool up in the back there and find its way under the less than perfect gasket seal.

Probably had something to do with the fact that the oil drain backs are on the front of the head, and the engine is canted slightly to the rear of the car. Seems like a sort of silly design if you ask me.