Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overbore pistons for TIII

Overbore pistons for TIII

Looks like i will be building a shortblock for my car in the near future and the spare i have will probably have to go 20 over. can anybody tell me what pistons they bought and where they got them? FWDp has Veniolas. id like something else.

boostaholic

Re: Overbore pistons for TIII

I had a JE in one hand and a Venolia in the other and it looked to me like the JE won in craftmanship and machining quality if that helps you at all(both were 020 TIII)

do you know how much and the part number for the JEs was Jackson? i talked the FM and they can get them made for me for 540$ plus the rings and crap is another 79$. i picked his brain, he said Veniolas were no comparison (junk) and the Wisecos were better but not as good as the JEs. he said the JEs were a lighter piston also. dont know what im gonna go with, need to choose
    Last edited by Xtrempickup; 07-15-2008 at 04:35 PM.

lol Yeah, Venoilas are junk. LMFAO And thats why everyone is running them, with NO problems. Does FM even have a t3 car? I will agree that the JE pistons are very, very well made. So are Venolias too. They are not quite as nice, but far from junk.....

I just hope my junk pistons can handle it when go 450+whp on them. The holset is good to 71lb/min, so maybe 450 is setting my sights low.

i didnt make the statement, Cindy said a lot of guys are running them and like them, but they made noise on start up for about a minute, i guess in a warm climate maybe, i'm up where its a bit colder most of the year so start up for me could be a while to warm and little to piston slap

Whats a little extra noise for a min with our noisey valvetrain?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I compared a 2.5L TIII Venolia to a 2.2L TIII JE and I agree the JE looks nicer with regards to machining the dish. The Venolia has straight angle from the crown to the dish whereas the JE is concave edge with smoother edges. The JEs are in my brother's R/T while the Venolias are in a motor I'm building and haven't run yet. JEs seem quiet at cold startup though, not really any different than the stock pistons.

my valvetrain isnt that noisy will all new lifters and everything redone.

Well, mine is all brand new stuff, and its still louder than most cars. And, we have sub zero winters here, and I have never heard piston slap from my motor. Even if I did, its a "race" car, so its really no big deal. I just hope my junk pistons are ready for 71lb/min.

well mine isnt, i hope the whole bottomend is ready for it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrempickup View Post
    i hope the whole bottomend is ready for it also.
    Me too. I paid good money for it.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Venolia or JE. I had JE"s in my 8 valve and couldn't hurt them, melted everything BUT the piston. I didn't want to run Venolia's due to noise concerns but have them in the van set at .005 bore clearance and there very quiet, just as quiet as my JE's. I've also put the Ven's to the test, about 2000 deg's and not a scratch. Wiseco's are fine but remember, they use special rings that cost a small fortune, JE and Ven's use regular off the shelf rings.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

yea true, im not building everything as i may have line on complete car with rebuilt motor for sale for less than rebuilding mine so, exploring options

But, building it yourself is FAR more fun Plus, you know what exactly has been done.

when i get a lifetime of free time il start rebuilding, until them il pay for my rebuilds and be happy and keep my sanity and blame those ppl for the failures when they are at fault

lol Yeah, because working 6pm to 6am affords me alot of spare time. I take alot of pride in doing it myself becuase "look what I did" sounds a hell of a lot better than "look what I bought." But, different strokes for different folks, right?

defiantely different, i have no shop skills, now trying to build a motor can only go bad for me

TU can get you a set of Wiseco's to any specs you want- $425.

leaning away from Wisecos for a number of reasons

Why is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast