Thread: Questions concerning engine swaps

Questions concerning engine swaps

Question for anybody who's listening.

I was junkyard scrounging and came upon I believe it was a Dodge Avenger that had a 2.0L but the intake and exhaust was backwards as opposed to a 2.0L in a Neon yet the tranny was in the same mounting location as the Neon as opposed to a DSM car.....has anyone put that head on a 2.0L or a 2.4L?? It would certainly make things easier as far a turbocharger placement and plumbing were concerned. Although I did notice that the intake manifold is radically different....just a thought, I may try it on my next 2.4L swapped Neon.

-Tom

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Questions concerning engine swaps

Yeah that head bolts right on to any 2.0/2.4 block. In fact I think both of team Mopar's race motors use that head.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Cool,

I may try and use that head on the 2.4L turbo motor I'm building this summer.

-Tom

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I wonder how the room would be at the front for the turbo?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

then you remember the downpie will need to pass under the pan, then rise back up over the kframe...

It seems like there'd be alot of space in the front....it would definately make working on the exhaust side alot easier...I think I'd probably have to switch to different fans or remove the shrouds(bad idea) to create a little more space..depending on what type of manifold I use. I guess I'd probably have to use the oil pan from the Avenger motor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    then you remember the downpie will need to pass under the pan, then rise back up over the kframe...
    That shouldn't be an issue, lots of cars have exhaust that run right next to the oil pan. Heavilly lowered cars might have an issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedSC
    It seems like there'd be alot of space in the front....it would definately make working on the exhaust side alot easier...I think I'd probably have to switch to different fans or remove the shrouds(bad idea) to create a little more space..depending on what type of manifold I use. I guess I'd probably have to use the oil pan from the Avenger motor as well.
    Yep, or move them to the outside or use those ultra thin ones they make, IE the ones for the Rabbits,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Some of the Avenger guys have swaped a 2.4 in to there care and used backwards head. P.S. you can't use neon/srt4/2.4 cams in the 420a head, and the stock cams are kinda sad. I am helping a friend with a project along thoes lines.

Daniel Merrill

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 89acclaim
    Some of the Avenger guys have swaped a 2.4 in to there care and used backwards head. P.S. you can't use neon/srt4/2.4 cams in the 420a head, and the stock cams are kinda sad. I am helping a friend with a project along thoes lines.

Daniel Merrill
    difference????
    journal size?? gear mounting??......
    t.i.a.
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by mech1nxh
    difference????
    journal size?? gear mounting??......
    t.i.a.
    I would guess to say there ground to run in the opposite direction so using them in a reg head would have them going backwards.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    I would guess to say there ground to run in the opposite direction so using them in a reg head would have them going backwards.
    No, the "backwards" 2.0 still turns the same direction as the Dodge 2.0/2.4. It uses the same crank as the Neon, so the firing order should be the same, too.

I would think you'd just have to put the intake cam in the intake side and the exhaust cam on the exhaust side. There may be some issue with cam gears/timing - I'm not sure.

I read the Neon and Avenger forums for info, too. They're notorious for saying things "can't" be done. I just don't think they're as industrious as TD'ers are. If it's not a bolt on part from a name-brand supplier, then you "can't" do it.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

^^Good to know.

Garrett booster

The cams are backwards.... the cam with the sensor on it is the intake in the 2.4 but not the 420. The cams will physicaly go in the 2.0 head from the 2.4 head but you will be driveing the exhaust with an intake cam and the intake with an exhaust cam. You would have to do some machine work to make the cams fit right.

Daniel Merrill

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89acclaim
    The cams are backwards.... the cam with the sensor on it is the intake in the 2.4 but not the 420. The cams will physicaly go in the 2.0 head from the 2.4 head but you will be driveing the exhaust with an intake cam and the intake with an exhaust cam. You would have to do some machine work to make the cams fit right.

Daniel Merrill
    Forgot about that. But, my understanding is, all that's required is drilling a single dowel hole (in the right spot, of course) in the 2.4 exhaust cam.

When I get to building my 2.5 DOHC, I plan to convert to cam driven distributor anyway, so the sensor isn't a concern...
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Well it is more than the hole... the exhaust cam is longer than the intake cam because it goes to the sensor, on the 420a. On the 2.4 it is the intake cam that is longer. You can see the diffrence here. Left two cam caps.....

Daniel Merrill