Thread: Easiest and quickest way to polish stainless IC piping.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Question Easiest and quickest way to polish stainless IC piping.

Just got my stainless IC tubing from our vendor, Racing Solutions. Its raw so it needs polishing. So, as the title says, lets have at it,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Re: Easiest and quickest way to polish stainless IC piping.

there is stuff at walmart that is blue and comes in a blue can, cant remember the name but it works great. I imagine that you could use a high speed buffer and a buff ball on a drill at it should work great. When I say high speed buffer I mean one that looks like and electric angle grinder, not one of those crappy slow low dollar ones. I did my buddies blocks to his hydraulic pumps with that blues stuff and a dewalt cordless drill and they came out looking chrome.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Mario's Avatar

Take a high speed buffer, put it in a vice. Put some rubbing compound on the buffing pad, turn the thing on and find a way to keep it on. The just take your pipe and have at it.
    Mario Di Cesare [url]www.boostedmopar.com[/url] 1985 Dodge Omni GLH - The Original "BOOSTBOX" 1991 Spirit R/T - "Grandma Boost" [url]http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=270429&postcount=1[/url]

Hybrid booster

Get a buffing wheel for your bench grinder, they have more torque then the buffers usually and you can really press the pipe into the buffer. You could probably have all your pipes polished in about an hour.

turbo addict

How about keeping the polish on it? Is a clear coat any good or does that ruin it and wear off in time?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The bench grinder sounds like the way to go for sure.

Garrett booster

the blue stuff in a blue can is called "blue magic" and it really is...

Mitsu booster

After polishing (yeah, a benchgrinder works well and 0000 steel wool is nice as well), coat with a clear lacquor. There are many types, but most work about the same. If using wax during th polishing stage, wash before painting.

Ian

Hybrid booster

I spent hours on my Buick 3" stainless exhaust with a real buffing wheel setup at my buddies........it was taking way to long...

Out came the DA with two different grits of sand paper and BAM it was done in no time I took it back over to the polishing wheel and in minutes it was looking like glass

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gasketmaster
    I spent hours on my Buick 3" stainless exhaust with a real buffing wheel setup at my buddies........it was taking way to long...

Out came the DA with two different grits of sand paper and BAM it was done in no time I took it back over to the polishing wheel and in minutes it was looking like glass

Whats a DA? what grit of sandpaper? I think I will just get it all installed this weekend then polish it later, chunks at a time,

I can get my bro to clear coat the piping after I am done,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by darkredturbo
    After polishing (yeah, a benchgrinder works well and 0000 steel wool is nice as well), coat with a clear lacquor. There are many types, but most work about the same. If using wax during th polishing stage, wash before painting.

Ian
    Eastwood sells a clear coat that is made just for that purpose. I had tried a couple other clears and some tended to yellow after some exposure to heat, giving the polished metal a milky color. The eastwood stuff works pretty good, so does clear powder coating.

Oh,and Terry, you polished your complete exhaust?! Now thats dedication!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

You might consider just a quick scuff with some brown Scotchbrite pads. It will have a brushed look that is really classy IMO

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

You might try a stainless wire wheel in the early sanding/rough stages.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Garrett booster

[QUOTE=turbovanman]Whats a DA? what grit of sandpaper?

a body work air driven "random orbital sander"...face of the unit , usually
    a 6" disc moves around an eccentric drive...."random orbit" paper discs
    with grit of choice are placed on the disc after an application of spray
    adhesive, disc wears out, tear off and toss, apply new disc, good to go
    as far as grit I have used 400-600, but I am sure there are many opinions
    on this
    If ye love wealth better than Liberty, The tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from Us in peace, We ask not your counsel or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget you were Our countrymen. -Samuel Adams.

turbo addict

It's a bit of money, but what about sandblasting? Not the polished look, but pretty good under the hood look.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Whorse
    It's a bit of money, but what about sandblasting? Not the polished look, but pretty good under the hood look.
    Another way to go is glass bead to really clean it, followed immediately by shot peen to burnish the surface. The glass beading sort of "opens the pores" and reveals virgin metal, then the shot peening pounds it back down and seals the surface against oil and dirt. Works great on aluminum too.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

DA = dual action.

spins about 2 axis, or orbits.
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

I personally like SS to be left bare after it ha sbeen welded on with a tig

Get 'em all seam welded and then clear over it to leave the color marks for a "raw fabrication" look. Haha!

Everyone elses ideas seem pretty good, espescially Terry's about the DA first to get it close then finish it with the bench grinder w/ a buffing pad.

Aaron Miller

Mitsu booster

If you have access to a lathe with a nova chuck, clamp the chuck around the piping, turn it at the lowest possible rpm and run a buffing pad the length of the tube. Perfect every time.

Ian