View Poll Results: Mild street build or all out drag truck?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mild

17 58.62%
  • Wild

12 41.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me plan the S-10 build!

Garrett booster

Re: Help me plan the S-10 build!

With that build and a set of 3.42's ,700r4 with a 2500 rpm stall would rocket that truck in the mid to low 12's and be a nice daily driver.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!
    The guy that had the stock tuned port setup set a price I couldn't refuse. For $75 I got the computer, wiring harness, intake, throttlebody, injectors, distributer, all the sensors, and as a bonus everything to convert the truck to a serpentine belt system for $75.
    Looks like I'll be going the TPI route after all. He's also got a 700r4 that he'll take $100 for.

Hybrid booster

OLDS,SOUNDS LIKE A AWESOME IDEA, HOW ABOUT A 500 cube CADDY

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

with the TPI setup i think you can use tunerpro and rom burners and stuff like that.

i vote reasonable heads, really mild cam and a pair of holset hy 35's and aftermarket tpi runners.

youll need 2 fuel pumps, prolly pistons and rods and a th400 or a really built th350 to handle that.

best bang for the buck imo given the parts you have.

if you didnt have that tpi stuff, id say ls1.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

twin turbo for sure

Twins would definitely be fun! I'll be happy just to get it running on the EFI n/a for now.
    I'm still trying to settle on a set of heads at this point. At the price, I'm really having a hard time trying to justify the AFR's. The cylinder heads are going to be the major setback on this project. If I already had them, I could get started on it, but if I end up buying a $1500 set of heads, I'm going to have to wait until the outage work starts up this fall before I can afford them.

I've been doing a little bit of reading on the LT1 aluminum heads. They're selling really cheap because they're supposed to be worthless for anything but an LT1 because of the reverse flow cooling system. It turns out that you can use them on a gen1 block if you block a couple coolant passages, drill and tap the heads for external water fittings, and use a remote thermostat housing. It's evidently not a widely done swap, but the one case of it I read about produced some good results. They might be worthwhile for a low buck set of heads with a little effort put in to make them work.

I've also been looking at some aluminum heads from Pro Comp and Patriot Performance in the 190-210 cc range for about 1/2 the price of the AFRs. Mixed reviews on those though.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

for those head prices you could buy a LS1

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Garrett booster

The vortec heads under $500 is unbeatable. You can go to the dealership and get them new.
    If I went back to chevy I would build mine with vortec heads without a doubt. The AFR heads kick butt,but the vortecs flow as good as trick flow heads right out the box.....stock!

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by BF/STOCKER SPIRIT View Post
    OLDS,SOUNDS LIKE A AWESOME IDEA, HOW ABOUT A 500 cube CADDY
    With a Bravada grille and tailights you could really mess with some people. If you paint it black with a gold lower stripe with Bravada SS decals. Add 87 442 gold rims and add the lightning rod shifter from the hurst olds.
    .....insto 1 of 1

I feel I will do this one day.
    With 425 cubes from 66!

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    for those head prices you could buy a LS1

Brian
    That's why I've been looking really hard at the LT1 heads. It's looking like if I catch the right auction, I could get a pair for $200 on ebay. The conversion to run them on a gen 1 block doesn't look all that involved with the only machine work being a resurface after the plugs are welded in. John can weld the plugs in and drill/tap for the water fittings at work, so the only real cash outlay would be for the resurface and the plumbing necessary for the remote t-stat housing. On top of that, there are plenty of LT1 f-bodys running 12-11 sec 1/4's on the stock heads, so the potential to make decent power with them is there.

Quote Originally Posted by 87 charger View Post
    The vortec heads under $500 is unbeatable. You can go to the dealership and get them new.
    If I went back to chevy I would build mine with vortec heads without a doubt. The AFR heads kick butt,but the vortecs flow as good as trick flow heads right out the box.....stock!
    Right! The Vortec heads are proven performers. I'm in complete agreement with that. The price for the heads is nice as well, but the total cost of using them is understated. What I mean by that is by the time I spend $500 for the heads and another $400 for the TPI intake base made to work with the raised runners and bolt pattern of the Vortecs, I could have bought a good (not AFR's, but good) set of aftermarket heads that would be a bolt-on with the intake base I already have.

Thanks for the ideas guys, keep 'em coming!

Tony

Garrett booster

When I had the Z28 I made it for the street. I bored it 30 over,bought a set of stock casting 64 cc 2.02 heads from indy cylinder head for $500 dollars.
    I used this combo.
    Speed pro forged 9.5 to 1 slugs
    Edelbrock RPM cam
    Edelbrock RPM intake
    750 edelbrock
    Crane roller rockers 1.5 ratio
    3.42 gears
    3000 stall
    350 turbo rebuilt with shift kit

I put this in a 83 Z28 and on street tires I ran 8.38 1/8 mile over and over and over. With a 8.23 best E.T when it was about 60 outside on a cool night
    Very good street car. I got about 15 to 18 mpg driving nice...
    I later went stroker and 294 comp extreme and a victor JR intake and 4.11 gears and ran lower mid 7's
    That first combo was a awesome street build though. I would do it again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12