View Poll Results: Mild street build or all out drag truck?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mild

17 58.62%
  • Wild

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me plan the S-10 build!

Help me plan the S-10 build!

I recently ended up with a vehicle that I've wanted for quite awhile. It's an '85 S-10 pickup that's had the original drivetrain swapped for a 350 SBC/TH350. As it sits now, it has a mild 350 with way too much cam and 4.56 gears. So basically it sounds neat and will destroy 1 rear tire, but aside from that, it's pretty worthless.
    I really need some help with what direction to take this project. It's going to be awhile before I get started on it (the Sundance has priority), but I can use the time to start planning the build and gathering some parts.

The problem I'm having is with trying to decide between a mild street build involving a TPI conversion, reasonable gears (3.08 or 3.42), and maybe a nitrous kit for a little extra kick, or going all out and building a nasty alcohol motor, 4 link, narrowed 9" rear, slicks, etc and ending up with something that's barely street legal at best and more or less worthless other than to take to the track every once in awhile.

I'm really leaning toward a street build because I'd get more use out of it but then again, everything I've ever fooled with I've approached about the same way and it might be fun to do something different this time around.

Anyhow, I could use some input on how to approach this. Any suggestions on which way to go with it and why would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tony

turbo addict

Re: Help me plan the S-10 build!

I helped build 3 of them with friends but the most fun was one that had a 400sb (400hp est ) 700r4 and 410 spooled rear end it did eveything well DD to smoke shows .
    the other one was more pro street was not as fun unless you were at the track ,couldn't carry any thing in the back ether.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Just don't use the stock TPI setup if you go the street truck route(thats my vote). It won't have enough air flow to make any beans above 4800 rpm. After market setup FTW.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Hard to say, what is your intended goal?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Just don't use the stock TPI setup if you go the street truck route(thats my vote). It won't have enough air flow to make any beans above 4800 rpm. After market setup FTW.
    What all is involved with the aftermarket setup? I can get a stock setup including engine (complete with everything but with a spun rod bearing), computer, and wiring harness for around $100 from a friend. Would I be ahead to go with that and then upgrade the manifold and use a different set of heads or buy a complete aftermarket efi setup? For that matter, I guess I could add injector bosses to a performance intake, modify a 4 barrel carb to serve as a throttlebody, and run the thing with megasquirt... I'm definitely open to researching all my options at this point.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The runners and base ie intake are restrictive so you can replace them with aftermarket units but then you might as well replace the upper piece too, lol!

Go with an LT1 setup,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Hard to say, what is your intended goal?
    That's just it, I haven't really set a goal yet. It's more exploring my options at this point. I'm leaning toward trying to make a quick street ride out of it though. Maybe something that would run a low to mid 13 1/4 but still be daily driver friendly and capable of doing some light hauling (motorcycle). That seems like it might be the best way to go since I'd still be able to use it as transportation instead of having something that's just a toy.

The runners and base ie intake are restrictive so you can replace them with aftermarket units but then you might as well replace the upper piece too, lol!

Go with an LT1 setup,
    Is there any way to make the LT1 intake setup work with a gen1 block and heads? I know they have a reverse flow cooling system but I don't know if that would be a problem or whether or not the parts would bolt up...
    Thanks,
    Tony

Go with an LT1 setup,
    DING, DING....we have a winner. The LT1 setup doesn't run out of air like the TPI. LT1 will drop right in place of the TPI manifold.
    Bryan

DING, DING....we have a winner. The LT1 setup doesn't run out of air like the TPI. LT1 will drop right in place of the TPI manifold.
    Nice! So in order to run it on a set of gen1 heads, all I'd need to do is slot the center bolt holes in the manifold (like you would to run an older manifold on a post '87 set of heads) right?
    What about the distributer though? The LT1 uses that goofy optispark setup on the front of the engine. Is there even a hole in the manifold in the normal location for a distributer? I should know this stuff but I never really got into either of my LT1 cars that far.

Actually, for the hassle it can be, you would be better off getting an aftermarket TPI manifold and runners. Put 1.6 roller rockers on it. That is where I am at currently.
    Bryan

Actually, for the hassle it can be, you would be better off getting an aftermarket TPI manifold and runners. Put 1.6 roller rockers on it. That is where I am at currently.
    That's kind of what I was thinking initially. I figured I'd buy the stock setup first. For the money, it seems worth it to have the computer, harness, injectors, sensors, distributer, etc even if I don't use the manifold and runners.

On the electrical end of things, is there a program available for DIY cals for the GM stuff? Maybe a GM equivalent to chem or d-cal?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Ok, how does this sound for a possibility?
    Bowtie Vortech heads, stock rotating assembly (maybe balanced), mild cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, and top it with a Holley Commander 950 TBI system. The Commander 950 will work with a 2 or 3 bar map sensor, so it would be perfect for a forced induction project later. I could bolt it right on top of one of the little 177ci Weiand blowers, or even feed it with a centrifugal sc or a pair of turbos.

That sounds fine to me. Would be very streetable but fun.
    Bryan

Well, I just got talked out of the Vortech heads in favor of a set of these:
    http://www.airflowresearch.com/195sbc_sh.php
    The price will probably have me running a carb for awhile but I'll go ahead and pick the cam and intake I want for the EFI setup so I can install it with no major headaches once funds allow.

Ok, I need help with a judgement call on gearing. As it sits, the truck is geared so low that I'm hesitant to try to drive it on the 1 1/2 hour interstate trip to get it home.
    Before I got the truck, John had collected a 3 series LSD carrier for it, so all I really need is a ring, pinion, and some bearings. If I'm going to be driving it on the interstate any at all, I really need at the lowest a 3.73 gear, but probably should go with something a little higher. I'm stuck deciding between 3.42 or 3.23.
    I can get either gearset used off ebay for a reasonable price ($40 + shipping for the 3.23 and $60 + shipping for the 3.42).
    Any thoughts on 1 over the other?
    Thanks,
    Tony

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    Ok, I need help with a judgement call on gearing. As it sits, the truck is geared so low that I'm hesitant to try to drive it on the 1 1/2 hour interstate trip to get it home.
    Before I got the truck, John had collected a 3 series LSD carrier for it, so all I really need is a ring, pinion, and some bearings. If I'm going to be driving it on the interstate any at all, I really need at the lowest a 3.73 gear, but probably should go with something a little higher. I'm stuck deciding between 3.42 or 3.23.
    I can get either gearset used off ebay for a reasonable price ($40 + shipping for the 3.23 and $60 + shipping for the 3.42).
    Any thoughts on 1 over the other?
    Thanks,
    Tony
    3spd trans 3.73. if 4spd auto try 4.10 with a lockup tc and the over dive when in top gear it will feel like you have 350to 373 in it plus the 700r has stump low 1st gear

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

keep it to where you can drive it on the street.

Hybrid booster

WOULD BE A FUN TRUCK, TBI BE GOOD ,VORTEK HEADS BE BETTER,7OOr4, WITH A LITTLE CONVERTER 2000- 2500 STALL,GEARS FROM A ,LATE F- BODY 3.5-3,73 POSI,A LITTLE JUICE,AND YOUR COOKING,LOL FOR KINDA CHEEP.
    OR GET A 427 SMALL BLOCK, POWERGLIDE, WITH 4000 STALL CONVERTER, 9'' INCH 4.56's
    CAL TRACKS,29 BY 11'' SLICKS,, WITH 2 STAGE 300 HP,LOL, OR A 671 ,HUFFER,AND YOU'L
    BE REALLY COOKING, WITH THE HABACHI IN THE BED,

Garrett booster

Well 455 Olds fits in there . It won't be a drop in like the 350 kits are,but 500+ lbs of trq..should move one REAL NICE.
    Really though super chevy mag did a bunch of different builds on the same motor called project danger mouse. The comp 262 cam and vortec heads worked AWESOME over 400 hp and streetable. SO you might look into the danger mouse build. It is a VERY interesting read for a small block chevy for sure.
    Here is the link
    http://www.superchevy.com/tech/0312s...ock/index.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast