Thread: radiators

turbo addict

radiators

I've read a lot feel that the single row g body radiators cool better than the dual row t2 or glhs ones; however, most complain about the narrower units in conjunction with heat exhangers in front of them. Would the single row core that is 4 inches wider still cool better if there were no blockage? Thoughts?

turbo addict

Re: radiators

Spend the time, effort, and money for an aftermarket radiator.

Unless you can find a NOS or re-core radiator, all you're doing is finding 19+ years old radiators and using them in your car...

+1 on getting an aftermarket one. They sell a few that will fit in your car or you can have one made for a few bucks more.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

turbo addict

I must state that I have run an 86 glhs radiator at 30# with nitrous and with an oil cooler never had a problem. The only reason I question the capacity is because I have switched to an srt motor, no longer running a front mount. I have no intention of having a custom unit made any time soon. Civic units are very cheap, but looking at them, I think my unit will do better as is.

turbo addict

anyone not trying to get me to spend more money than necessary have an opinion?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Wider is always better than thicker. I switched from a fresh G-Body TII radiator to aftermarket replacement G-body TI radiator and got much better cooing.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

That's more or less what I was thinking. I figure with it being under 16psi and considering flow rate, that time in the tube would matter more than mass flow.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Ya gotta figure that a narrower, but thicker radiator may have the same volume as a wider but thinner radiator, but the wider radiator (and this is greatly simplified for the sake of comparison) is going to allow more surface area to have direct contact with the ambient air.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

...but with staggered fins, it still has the same surface area, just not the same frontal area. The difference then is the distance the coolant has to travel while in contact with heat exchanging surface. It the drop doesn't hit max delta t, then regardless of the flow, the heat exchanger won't be as efficient as one where the coolant is in the system long enough for as much heat as possible to be transfered.