Thread: Neg. 2-deg camber too much??

turbo addict

Neg. 2-deg camber too much??

Since I discoverd that the alignment shop gave me 3-deg positive camber fro some reasion, I'm going to take it back to be re-alinged. I seen in a few sec's that the range is 1/4-deg neg. to 2-deg neg. I'm looking for some suggestions on what I should have them set it to. The car is street legal, but isn't daily driven so I want a good mix between street and track for road course and auto-x possibly leaning more towards best track setting.....

The car currently is supported by Koni's in all 4 corners if that matters...

Thanks
    T

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Neg. 2-deg camber too much??

I don't think 2 degrees negative is too much for a car that will see alot of autocross and road course time. Might be a bit extreme for a daily driver.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

+1, ok for racing, but it will kill tires fast as a daily driver.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

have them set the front to .5-1.0 deg more then the rear negative camber for good handling. Rear should be ~-1.0

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I read a good thread on SRT forums, yeah, an oxymoron but neg 2 deg's is fine and run 1/8 toe in. I had Whorse's Lebaron GTC setup as noted and no increase in tire wire noted and boy does it take corners nicely.

I run toe-in up front because puts the power down way better and smoother, and toe-out in the back. About an 1/8" total or maybe a little more at each end. This is also the settings that will roll freest on the highway and minimize tire wear.

I'd bump up front camber to -2.0 or more if you feel comfortable with that. -2.4 for me works fine on the street until winter hits. Tire wear close to normal.
    Camber Settings

Front toe:
    0-1/8 toe-in for auto-cross.

0-1/4 toe-out for street and road corse.

Rear toe:
    0-1/8 toe-out street
    0-1/2 toe-out track

Camber:
    Front -2.5 to -4
    Rear 0 to -2

That's what I like.

1/16" Toe out in the front makes my car more stable under acceleration. I have used toe in and I really need to keep both hands on the wheel. I think the car increases the toe in as it accelerates. It's great for off-throttle turn in though! I would try to have half or the same camber in the rear. So if you put -2 in the front, make sure you put -1 to -2 in the rear for safety.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

car, bushings, front camber, rear camber, total camber, camber in each corner???? Need a bit more info. But my preliminary thoughts are yes it's too much.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    car, bushings, front camber, rear camber, total camber, camber in each corner???? Need a bit more info. But my preliminary thoughts are yes it's too much.
    88 Whorizon TII
    GLH/SC spec suspension
    Koni's
    Poly bushings all around

Front camber was +2 positive (visually noticeable)

Does 1° negative sound like the middle of the road????

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post

Does 1° negative sound like the middle of the road????

Yep, or even 1.25 would be ok too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Since you have poly bushings if you like to take corners hard I'd run -1.5 front and -1.0 in the rear. If you're more straight stuff then -1.0 front and -0.5 in the back. See the trend? If you had stock soft bushings then I'd run -2.0 front -1.5 rear for hard cornering and -1.5 front and -1.0 rear for just mild cornering. Poly obviously doesn't flex so you don't loose as much camber when cornering. Set the toe up at zero on both ends. Again with Poly things don't move around. Toe out is scary at high speeds. Toe in makes the car want to understeer. Zero toe also helps with MPG. These settings will give you a very balanced car in the corners. How high the camber is just makes the limit's higher.