Thread: Refinish Aluminum Wheels?

Refinish Aluminum Wheels?

Hello,
    Can you refinsih or powder coat the aluminum wheels?

Brian

boostaholic

Re: Refinish Aluminum Wheels?

Yes you can. It gets kinda expensive thought

give these folks a call they just did my Centurions:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html

turbo addict

did a set of pizza wheels a while back with the products found in the eastwood catolog. looked great, but the clear duplicolor "wheel paint" turned yellow and peeled badly soon after redoing them.

maybe the high temp engine enamals hold up better??

Quote Originally Posted by 84 Laser 2.2 Turbo View Post
    Hello,

Brian
    I had Keystone refinish my wheels for my 87 Daytona. They cost $150.00 per wheel, but they look brand new. They do offer a small discount if you bring in all 4 at the same time. Of course, that price does not include the cost of removing and re-mounting the tires.

¿ Turbo Mopar Contributor oldgregg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 84 Laser 2.2 Turbo View Post
    Hello,

Brian
    I had my pumpers powder coated in 2003 & it was $75/rim IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    give these folks a call they just did my Centurions:

http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccsvcs.html
    Show us pics!

What was the price & turn around time?

Quote Originally Posted by ButchN View Post

What was the price & turn around time?
    +1

Butch and ACR: pix cant really show the restoration differences since the wheels started out looking very nice and now look nicer but i dont have a camera that can really capture the before-after sorry.

price was $550 for (4) including return priority shipping cost. oof!

turntime was 5 days after they got the wheels.

are they perfect? no. as they warned me before beginning, there may be some pitting of the base metal they cannot correct and indeed there is some on each wheel. are they better than they were and worth the money? absolutely.

best part is they did a dead-on perfect job at duplicating the original sheen, surface finish, and texture........ i mean its just perfect. not too shiny, just right.

Thats awesome. A little less than I figured in my resto budget,(but not too much so don't go raising prices if the owner is reading, lol) Yeah, I can't imagine your wheels actually "needing" refinishing, so the pics probably wouldn't do justice. Mine aren't mangled but well oxidized.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus86GLHS View Post
    Butch and ACR: pix cant really show the restoration differences since the wheels started out looking very nice and now look nicer but i dont have a camera that can really capture the before-after sorry.

price was $550 for (4) including return priority shipping cost. oof!

turntime was 5 days after they got the wheels.

are they perfect? no. as they warned me before beginning, there may be some pitting of the base metal they cannot correct and indeed there is some on each wheel. are they better than they were and worth the money? absolutely.

best part is they did a dead-on perfect job at duplicating the original sheen, surface finish, and texture........ i mean its just perfect. not too shiny, just right.
    OK, pics anyway of the "now" look!
    You know I'm like you & want my S as perfect as possibe!

Also, if there's any metal damage, they don't fix it?
    $550 which includes return shipping is a spot on price for 4 rims.

Thanks!

Butch both Carl (Long Island Wheel) and these guys at Wheel Colision have literally told me the exact same thing regarding the shelby centurion series wheels: the base metal can be prone to porisity that is revealed upon a skim cut. its hit and miss. some wheels zero porisity others a lot. the repair? only way is to perform a weld and heat treatment and that opens up other possible issues and a lot of costs.

bottom line is i do believe you can get a process that will yield a perfect centurion but that might be very costly, meanwhile, the restorations that LI Wheel and Wheel Collision and others offer gives a great result at a decent price that is acceptable for even a nick picky person.

but perfection for say $125/wheel guaranteed? havent seen that offer yet.

Dave L. got perfect wheels out of Wheel Collision, i mean perfect.

I see. I wasn't worried about porous, I have a few nicks & a gouge on teh lip of one & I was wondering if those would get repaired before refinishing.

wheel collision does repairs when possible too, but thats extra

Butch yes those would be repaired they also spin up each wheel and check for out-of-roundness and true-running and do repairs to get the wheels mechanically perfect.

keep in mind they are going to tell you they must do a skim-cut across the entire face of your wheel, so, even if only a small portion of the face is gouged they have to cut all of the face in order to get the proper finished look......thats where the porosity may be revealed. keep in mind you cant see this porosity now, only after they do the skim cut, heck none of my (4) wheels had one spec of porosity showing prior to the resto, now each one does. its minor, but its there.