Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will a hole in the hose between the air box and turbo effect Boost?

Will a hole in the hose between the air box and turbo effect Boost?

Today I pulled the airbox out of my car and removed all the hosed and pressure check them. The only hose that I found that was bad was the one that comes in from the air cleaner box to the turbo. Correct me if I'm wrong but this hose shouldn't effect the performance since it is not pressurized?
    To make a long story short I cleaned up everything took my time reinstalling the hoses and took the car for a test drive.
    The car is still falling on its face like it is loosing boost or running out of fuel.
    If it wasn't fuel injected I would swear it is vapor locking.
    Heres an list of what I've done so far.
    Tune up plugs cap and rotor.
    New speed sensor
    new fuel and air filter
    New catalytic converter

If anyone has any Ideas let me know I'm running out.

Thanks,

turbo addict

Re: Will a hole in the hose between the air box and turbo effect Boost?

Depends on which motor air cleaner assembly you have. If you have a TII with intercooler, a broken hose running through the air cleaner will definitely effect boost. If you have a TI 2.2/2.5 the inlet side (going into the turbo) will not effect boost. It WILL effect the longevity of the motor having unfiltered air flowing into the motor. Either way, fix the problem.
    Check fault codes! You didn't tell us what motor/car you have. That would help. Bad HEP, fuel pump, map, power module, logic module, SMEC, SBEC, fuel pressure regulator, cam timing, weak valve springs, are some possiblilities. I've even seen bad plug wires cause huge driveability problems as soon as any load was placed on motor. You need to diagnose problem further before throwing more parts and $ at it.
    My advice is get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on car and check what is happening at idle and when you place a load on the motor.
    Good luck!
    Todd

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Falls on it's face at the same RPMS every time then pops or stutters? Cam could be a tooth advanced. Was the cat totally baked and rattling with loose substrate? It could be all packed into your muffler and motor would just kinda wheeze up top and run out of breath so to speak... More details and codes, be specific.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

+1 for checking fault codes. And yeah what engine/car/setup do you have? And don't you have gauges? A good way to tell if the boost is dropping off is to have a boost gauge! LOL. And atleast get yourself a dawes A/F gauge or something, because if you are loosing fuel thats not cool man! Thats a good way to trash your engine, which could have been prevented with a $45 gauge. And you can get a boost gauge for like 20 bucks.

If no codes I'm also going with cam timing advanced 1 or 2 teeth. 1 tooth won't make it fall on it's face though until like 5000 RPM. 2 teeth advanced though will definitely kill any top end at all.

Oh and where in PA are you? I'm near Harrisburg and if you're close I'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    Depends on which motor air cleaner assembly you have. If you have a TII with intercooler, a broken hose running through the air cleaner will definitely effect boost. If you have a TI 2.2/2.5 the inlet side (going into the turbo) will not effect boost. It WILL effect the longevity of the motor having unfiltered air flowing into the motor. Either way, fix the problem.
    Check fault codes! You didn't tell us what motor/car you have. That would help. Bad HEP, fuel pump, map, power module, logic module, SMEC, SBEC, fuel pressure regulator, cam timing, weak valve springs, are some possiblilities. I've even seen bad plug wires cause huge driveability problems as soon as any load was placed on motor. You need to diagnose problem further before throwing more parts and $ at it.
    My advice is get a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on car and check what is happening at idle and when you place a load on the motor.
    Good luck!
    Todd
    The car is a stock 87 GLHS. The hose has a crack on the intake side of the turbo comming from the fresh air intake through the air cleaner.
    If I could find a new hose I would buy one.
    The car is no longer showing any codes.
    I have a boost gauge. It show 10 psi. If I launch the car in first and second it seems to be ok but in the higher gears under load it will cut out. The boost drops at the same time the car looses power. I can't tell which is the cause and which is the result.
    If the timming were advanced wouldn't it cause the car to ping under load at low speed just like when you get a bad load of gas?

No we are talking about cam timing not ignition timing.

How much does the boost drop? Do you have a BOV on this car? Right now I'm thinking perhaps the wastegate can is weak (since it should be the ''small'' can on an 87 glhs), it can hold when there's less load on the engine but when more load comes in it's blowing the wastegate open too far causing the boost to drop. Just a thought.
    Where in PA are you?

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Air box to turbo will have no effect on the boost.

Cut the cat off...... Same thing happened with my 93 IROC.... cut the cat off, it had disintegrated and clogged everything. Try Allens suggestion from a previous thread... Drill a 1/2" hole in the exhaust pipe in front of the cat... If the power picks up, there is your issue. Just cut the cat off my Lancer as well.... Same thing... Power is back.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post

How much does the boost drop? Do you have a BOV on this car? Right now I'm thinking perhaps the wastegate can is weak (since it should be the ''small'' can on an 87 glhs), it can hold when there's less load on the engine but when more load comes in it's blowing the wastegate open too far causing the boost to drop. Just a thought.
    Where in PA are you?
    Small can has no effect until 18+ lbs of boost unless it is shot anyway....
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Small can has no effect until 18+ lbs of boost unless it is shot anyway....
    I've never had one hold over 14 PSI unless shimmed, and have had plenty of other people say the same....

He also just said he put a new CAT on, thats why I didn't mention that.

Where in PA are you?
    I live 1 hr East of Harrisburg.
    What should the Wastegate can be connected to? In the Service manual it says to a selonoid. I can't find the seloniod what does it look like? Where is it located?
    The one hose that I see coming out of the wastegate actuator goes to the vacume block on the passenger side strut tower.

Can you get pics of that? Sounds like previous owner may have modified some if you have a vacuum block.

The stock selenoid is on the passenger side fender close to the strut tower. There should be 2 selenoids right beside each other, 1 is for the purge and the other for the wastegate.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHSKEN View Post
    Air box to turbo will have no effect on the boost.

Cut the cat off...... Same thing happened with my 93 IROC.... cut the cat off, it had disintegrated and clogged everything. Try Allens suggestion from a previous thread... Drill a 1/2" hole in the exhaust pipe in front of the cat... If the power picks up, there is your issue. Just cut the cat off my Lancer as well.... Same thing... Power is back.
    Word Thanks for the shout out Kenny I like to drill that hole IN the neck of the cat, it's thinner and easier to drill than the pipe itself, plus it gets replaced when the cat does, no harm no foul. Just make sure it's in the 'neck' where the cat is transitioning up in size, that way its upstream of the suspected clogged area. Three sided 'box' works too with a cut off whel on a die grinder. Bend it open to test, bend it shut and tack weld it to fix the giant exhaust leak it creates.

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Hello? He's already replaced the CAT, it's in the original post.

Hello? He's already replaced the CAT, it's in the original post.
    Um huh, that's why my response was to check the MUFFLER for the chunks of the cat plugging it up. The drilling/windowing was kinda a segway...

And, I ran a small can to 18 psi NO Problems.... Had to shim it above that.... Sheesh...

Alan, that was sound advice... Must have been a sober moment
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

How do I insert a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Um huh, that's why my response was to check the MUFFLER for the chunks of the cat plugging it up. The drilling/windowing was kinda a segway...
    Well he hasn't answered the part yet about if the cat was thrashed or intact yet. So you are jumping to conclusions.

Dodgecharger- You have to be a supporting member to post pics, or you can use something like Photobucket to host the pics. But if you email them too me I'll be happy to post them up-
    matthug@juno.com

I sent you some pictures.

I didn't thoroughly inspect the cat. The shop cut it off and replaced it.
    I think it was just clogged I didn't see any debri fly out of it when they dropped it.
    The frustrating part for me is the parts avaiviblity for these cars. I would have gladley installed a new mandrel bent 3" system but I can't find a 3" swingvalve. So decided to install the cat and hope soon someone will make them then I can do the whole system one time and right.
    I would gladly put on all new turbo hoses but nothing is availible.
    Currently I just want to get the car running right then I can take time to get creative and make a home made intake system.
    Thanks for all the help. I don't know very much about these cars.

I found an old photobucket account.
    Here is a picture of me pointing to the vacume hose that is comming from the wastegate actuator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast