Thread: Wraith engine questions

turbo addict

Wraith engine questions

So I was looking at the picture of the Wraith engine from the add...the one with the red valvecover. Anyways, I noticed something odd, and it also proved that engine was nothing more than a mock-up. There was no intermediate shaft, no seal, no seal retainer...nothing! There was just a hole! Now, I snapped this picture while at SDAC18:

Now, as can be easily seen they have a block-off plate with two lines going to it. Obviously they HAD to do something for the intermediate shaft bearing oil holes, otherwise it would loose oil pressure an die a very quick death.

So my question is what did they do, and what are those lines for/going to. I also notice what looks like an oil line that was tapped in to an oil gally just above that. I'm thinking they used some of this to feed oil to the head, but I'm curious as to what does what! LOL

I also noticed the oil pan looking a heck of a lot like a non-CB! I'm wondering if they used a non-CB or if they used a MP Performance block with the 4-bolt mains, or some other special one-off thing?

Just interesting curiosities.

I also wonder if there were two of these cars? The one in the movie "appeared" all black, or at least a VERY dark color(I'm talking about the real one at the very end of the movie). It also has "DODGE" on the rear window. I'm sure they didn't repaint the car just for the movie, so I'm wondering if it was lighting tricks or another car all together? SOMETHING happened to that mock-up engine that looked really nice! I'm just wondering if it ended up in another car!?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Re: Wraith engine questions

Dry sump oiling system?

turbo addict

I'm 100% positive they used that! There's no way the oil pan on that thing would hold enough oil for that engine to run and then it go around a corner pulling 1+g's and it not starve to death! It HAD to have dry sump!

How do those lines tie in to it though? I mean, what did they do, just block the holes off with welds? Did they actually build an adapter in there that seals off the bearing area and uses it to move the oil? What about the inner bearing!?

Wow...it's late and I'm asking a LOT of questions that may or may not make any sense. I need to get some sleep! LOL

turbo addict

any other pics of the engine? I would of just welded the holes for the intermediate shaft shut, on the other side of the block off I bet there's a line running directly to a fitting tapped into the hole the oil pump generally pumps oil through. Good way to feed it. I'd love to go dry sump down the line. Nice pic of the pan.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

There is a guy with one in... FL maybe?

EDIT: my bad... its in KS

http://www.thewraithcar.com/
    Last edited by BadAssPerformance; 07-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

I do know alot of movie cars actually never "run".
    They also use alot of doubles.....

That probably doesn't help you at all. I guess what i'm trying to say is it may have ran at one point, but since it was a prototype more or less, it didin't have to run for long, so it can be rigged just for the shots. I really don't know anything about that car other than its pretty sweet looking.... but I'm just stating some things that the movie people do.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

True that some movie cars dont run... but I'm pretty sure the Wraith did... the museum car was an actual pace car. Would be awesome to get footage of it on a track

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hoosier Daddy?? Turbo Mopar Staff Clay's Avatar

how the heck did you get a picture of the engine like that AND stay behind the barrier!

any more cool "uncommon" pictures??
    Clay
    1986 GLH-T - Flat black......... learn it, love it, LIVE IT!
    1988 LeBaron GTC Turbo

SDML Readers Rides
    C/S Registry
    Stuff For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    how the heck did you get a picture of the engine like that AND stay behind the barrier!
    They're more concerned about the precious Hemi cars to worry about some stupid hopped up K car. lol

turbo addict

LOL..."I" stayed behind the barrier...my arm, hand, and camera found theri way in tot he rear wheel well when the musleum workers weren't looking! LOL

Unfortunatly that's the only "good" shot I got. I attempted another one, but just got a bunch of suspension links and chassis, not much engine. I did keep it, but I haven't editied it yet....

Interesting point of view on how to run the fittings and such to keep it oiled. I'll have to give it more thought to really "get" it(kinda in a hurry right now), or if you could do a crude drawing that'd be cool!

Hybrid booster

I talked with a guy a cosworth about the head on the car and he said the BDG head that was on the car was not engineered for it. They sold the BDG heads to dodge which had the same cylinder spacing (and bolt pattern I believe) and dodge did all the fitting. Looking at that pic perhaps they used the hole where the I-shaft was as an oil feed or return (not sure how much pressure there would be there) for the head. Just a guess though.
    No fun cars any more :(

Hybrid booster

Found these engine sounds and thought I would post them up if someone wants them.

Going through the gears

Crusing

turbo addict

I actually got a video from the museum of the engine sound from the computer that they had down there. I wanna find somebody that can edit AV and knows computers fairly well 'cause I wanna make it so my computer makes the engine sound when it starts up instead of the stupid Windows tones...

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    I actually got a video from the museum of the engine sound from the computer that they had down there. I wanna find somebody that can edit AV and knows computers fairly well 'cause I wanna make it so my computer makes the engine sound when it starts up instead of the stupid Windows tones...
    Send me the video I can edit it and send you back a file and instructions on setting the startup sound. If your interested let me know and I'll PM you my FTP site for you to upload it.

turbo addict

OK...I'll try to do it tomorrow!