Thread: WTB-'89 T2 garrett turbo. CLEAN

Hybrid booster

WTB-'89 T2 garrett turbo. CLEAN

hi, i am looking for a clean T2 garrett turbo. i dont need any of the lines just a clean good shape turbo. if you can help me out please PM me.

thanks
    kyle

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

Re: WTB-'89 T2 garrett turbo. CLEAN

got one right here for you sandy briggs, trade ya a ps3 for it

or i'd prefer cash money, free delivery in the next couple of days

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by j4278h View Post
    got one right here for you sandy briggs, trade ya a ps3 for it

or i'd prefer cash money, free delivery in the next couple of days
    that thing was all rusted out.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

What kind of time frame are you in? I have one I need to put together and one I need to check.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE View Post
    hi, i am looking for a clean T2 garrett turbo. i dont need any of the lines just a clean good shape turbo. if you can help me out please PM me.

thanks
    kyle
    rebuild your old one... if you have one. I swear, I should buy up all these old T2 cores and refurb these things to sell for $300....
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 88_pacifica View Post
    rebuild your old one... if you have one. I swear, I should buy up all these old T2 cores and refurb these things to sell for $300....
    Some people don't have the knowledge or patience,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

For all you guys that do your own turbo rebuilds, do you take them somewhere to have them balanced or just put them back together and hope for the best?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    For all you guys that do your own turbo rebuilds, do you take them somewhere to have them balanced or just put them back together and hope for the best?
    Depends.... If I know the turbo has good miles on it(never disassembled) you can mark where it is while disassembling and R&R. If it is unknown I use a guy out of Utah to double check it is within spec. I ship him the shaft and both wheels and he balances the entire thing and sends it back. Unless the wheel has hit the housings, they are usually ok. The bearing material in turbo's are designed to wear and leave the shaft "ok." This is why some turbo shops charge extra if the wheels have hit the housing because those wheels will need replaced....

Seriously though, I'd do it, but then there's the whole liability factor, when some idiot runs it without oil, or all the way to 70 psi, etc. If I knew that the person I was doing it for knows that I wouldn't intentionally "do something," then I would or maybe as a favor, or so on.... .

Really, a total rebuild is about $150 out the door.
    -Nate- ''Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.'' —Mark Twain

turbo addict

89 TII Garrett, 2.5 inch swingvalve, big wastegate can, 70k miles on it, worked perfect when pulled, used with Chrysler's TC by Maserati which has BOV stock and detuned to 160hp, minimal side to side play, no in and out play.

It is basically the best stock turbo came on a factory TII turbo dodge car.

No coolant or oil lines. You can get those at FWD

$250 + shipping.

@ Nate:

Yeah, I just put one together myself out of a box of parts and an Ebay rebuild kit. I took my time, made sure everything was super clean, and even used a T-handle on the compressor nut to limit the possibility of bending the shaft. The only thing I didn't do is have it balanced, but the rotating assembly I used was one that had the compressor wheel and turbine wheel/shaft balanced as individual parts. Hopefully it will last at least until this fall.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hanna View Post
    @ Nate:

Yeah, I just put one together myself out of a box of parts and an Ebay rebuild kit. I took my time, made sure everything was super clean, and even used a T-handle on the compressor nut to limit the possibility of bending the shaft. The only thing I didn't do is have it balanced, but the rotating assembly I used was one that had the compressor wheel and turbine wheel/shaft balanced as individual parts. Hopefully it will last at least until this fall.
    Due to the short time you are using it(till fall), it should be fine. However, in order to balance the wheels and shaft properly it must be spun, assembled, on the shaft with the wheels and then "clocked" until it is within spec. If necessary, they take a little bit of metal off the nut that clamps to the exhaust side(which is ONE reason they are often not perfect hexagonal shapes- also to lock nut permanently to shaft) or else the back side of the wheels themselves. But, this is definitely NOT something that should be done by the home shadetree mechanic. Think of this process as similar to balancing a tire on th rim. that's almost exactly what they are doing. By visual inspection only, you will never see the variances.

The negatives to not getting it balanced is extremely premature bearing wear, possible shaft wear, and the possibility of the wheels hitting the housings after said excessive wear. Also, it can prematurely cause seal failures too. If it's only going to be for a couple months, you'll be fine, but I would have them balanced.

Contact info for my balancing guy is below. He also sells kits made in the US which I STRONGLY RECOMMEND because the imports are cheap metal/brass. None of the others are really worth a shat. IIRC they are around $75 and come with EVERYTHING. For an extra $10 or $15 they balance your assembly for you. I'm not sure what it would be without the kit, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too much more. Heck, for that matter maybe somebody local could do it for you....

Ron's Turbo Service
    Ron Holland
    1606 W Warnock
    Salt Lake City, UT 84119

801-842-9186 Office
    801-906-5470 Home

Well, if this turbo turns out to be decent, it'll probably get shipped off to Chris this fall for a proper rebuild. If I don't like the way it acts, I'll be replacing it with a hybrid.

On the subject of balancing, I wonder if a person could build a rig to get it close? Something like a set of ultra low friction bearings that you could lay the assembly on and give it a spin. Assuming you could keep the friction low enough, the heavy side would always end up facing down then you could clock the compressor wheel and/or remove a little metal until you no longer have the same side facing down every time you spin it.

I've seen similar rigs used at hobby shops to balance propellers for RC airplanes. Granted they're not spinning near as fast as a turbo and probably don't require near as precise balancing, but I bet something like that would get it close.
    http://www.hobby-lobby.com/balancer.htm

Hybrid booster

my old one has a smashed fin on it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by UPSIDE-DOWN-FACE View Post
    my old one has a smashed fin on it.
    Poop...