Thread: Mysterious cut-out

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Mysterious cut-out

My car started this on the way to SDAC. When driving along the car will cut out but if you move the throttle a little bit it will come right back or just keep the pedal where it is and the car will come back, just not as fast as moving the throttle. Also the car will sometimes throw the code for the coolant temp sensor. With the scanner hooked up it will lose communication when the car has its hiccup. The car might only do it once or do it none stop for 5 miles then be fine for up to 400 miles. It has to be hot to make this happen. Here is everything I have done to try and fix it but none of it has worked.
    changed hep
    tryed different tps
    tryed different logic modules
    tryed different power modules
    tryed different coolant temp sensor
    checked and cleaned all grounds
    pulled front harness checked, cleaned and tested the whole thing
    pulled apart harness along firewall where I had to add wires to go TII, checked wires all the way to module and everything tested out fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated and if there is anyone in southern wisconsin or northern illinois near beloit that could take a look at it that would be great.

Thanks
    Andy

Re: Mysterious cut-out

We did that test with the scan tool and the HEP and confirmed that the LM must lose power to drop the connection with the scan tool. Being so intermittent will make it hard to track down, but my guess is something in the main power feed to the PM. Either a bad splice in J1 or J2, a flaky fusible link or something else in the main distribution there, ignition switch going bad, etc. You ruled-out the PM and LM themselves, but there is a lot of wiring that could be at fault.

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...tml#enginefeed

My memory fails me, but does the Check Engine/Power Loss light come on when the hiccup occurs? If you have a scan tool and can clear the code 12, see if code 12 comes back after the problem occurs. That would confirm that the electronics are indeed losing their power feed or ground (most likely ground in that case).

Nope, very rarely will the check engine light come on and when it does it puts it up as a code 22. With the scanner hooked up and on dataline it will show the code 12 the if it hiccups it will say no next to code. The bad thing is I don't have a schmatics book for the car so I'm almost flying blind when it comes to checking the wires other the starting at one end and test all the way to the other end.

Get the FSMs! They are worth every penny and can be found used pretty cheap.

I have the fsm for the engine and chassis but need to find one with the wiring diagrams. Any other help or things I could check till I get a fsm? Anyone have an 86 wiring diagrams fsm I could borrow till I get one?

I have them, but I won't be able to make the next meeting. if you want to borrow it, that is no problemo.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Does code 12 ever go away? I have a car that it never goes away on.

yeah the first time it hiccups.