Thread: 88 tbi cam question.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

88 tbi cam question.

ok, so i was looking in the knowledge center at the cam specs sheet and i saw that the tbi round tooth was retarded 4 deg over the turbo.

now its said that to use a square tooth cam (the 88 is a square tooth right?) on a round tooth sprocket advances the cam 4 deg. the last thing i need is cam advance.

so if i run the 88 tbi cam on the 89+ tbi round tooth sprocket, the cam should be theoretically straight up right?

any advantage of using a 88 2.5L tbi cam over a turbo? i only have a 88 tbi cam kicking around.

anyone run this with good results over the 88 2.2L tbi cam?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

Re: 88 tbi cam question.

I have an 88 cam in an 89 head but have yet to get far enough to put in in time

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I would be interested in what people have to say about the 88 2.5 cam also. I pulled on in the yard and took the timing cover off last so I did not realize that it was a tall deck motor and that the cam was round tooth. Does anyone know what the specs are for it? I believe the cam sprocket is a unique part number? What does that do for those of us looking to run one of these in a turbo car?

Hybrid booster

I didnt know that the 2.5 cam was any different than the 2.2 cam.

Jeff

wait, the 89 2.5L tbi cam is round tooth? ill have to look at it tomorrow. if that car has the 690 tbi cam sprocket, i might just drop it in as it will be 4 deg retarded to see how the top end feels.

Brian

This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Theoretically, that should work.

ill have to try it sometime soon.

Brian