View Poll Results: What would you be willing to pay for a SMEC/SBEC flash module?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flash Module 'kit' (assemble and install yourself) $40-50

8 18.60%
  • Assembled flash module for $60-75 (install yourself)

7 16.28%
  • Fully built flashable SMEC/SBEC $150-175

28 65.12%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flashable SMEC/SBEC anyone?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Flashable SMEC/SBEC anyone?

Jason Richardson was kind enough to send me his files for building the SMEC flash modules. I'm considering building some and possibly even building flashable SMEC's to sell. For the SBEC, some changes will have to be made, but it's still possible. So, what would you be willing to pay for a flashable SMEC or module?
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Flashable SMEC/SBEC anyone?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the full one, if it were well done. With you I have no daubt it would...
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Having used a flashable setup before, I would not hesitate in buying another one.

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

I voted for fully built. I had contacted Jason a couple months back about one, but never went through with it.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

I've done a few myself, but it is not trivial to do for someone without electronics experience. I voted for the fully built because I doubt you would sell many of the kits and if you did you would be spending a lot of time supporting them when they run into installation issues.

turbo addict

Can you explain these two a little more? My SMEC is socketed, and it is a pain to change the chip every time an adjustment is made.

Flash Module 'kit' (assemble and install yourself) $40-50
    Assembled flash module for $60-75 (install yourself)

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    Can you explain these two a little more? My SMEC is socketed, and it is a pain to change the chip every time an adjustment is made.
    The module is just a small board with a surface mount memory chip (flash chip) and associated hardware to be able to flash it in-cicuit. It has 3 wires that have to be attached to the SMEC in other locations to get the correct signals to be able to flash/read a binary to the memory chip. Once it's installed, you can seal the SMEC back up and flash the cal from the drivers seat. No need to swap chips again. But, the module is not a simple replacement for a 28-pin DIP memory chip. It needs the extra wires, and they are a bit touchy to install.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I vote for the kit, just cuz I'm a DIY kind of guy. I would buy any of the 3 if there was only 1 option and I had a SMEC/SBEC car .

Rob: whatever came of the patent you found for flashing the sbec thru the port? Is that only applicable to the sbec-II, or can the 32 pin flash chip be retrofit to the sbec?

[QUOTE]Rob: whatever came of the patent you found for flashing the sbec thru the port? Is that only applicable to the sbec-II, or can the 32 pin flash chip be retrofit to the sbec?[/QUOTE]

It's just for the SBEC-II. The 32-pin setup on the SBEC-I is for a factory flash type module/setup. I think it used 2 different memory chips (EEPROM and an EPROM backup of the 'base' calibration), but I don't have much solid info on it. It doesn't really matter since making the SBEC-I flashable is not so difficult now.

Apparently, all of the SBEC-II's are factory flashable. Which is nice. You can flash them with a specific cartridge for a DRB-II. I happen to have (now) a socketed flash cartiridge for the DRB-II. I need to pull the code off the chip on the cart (so that I can pull the flash software off) and make my own flash files.

The biggest hurdle right now is reading the .bin file off the stock Toshiba EEPROM.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    I've done a few myself, but it is not trivial to do for someone without electronics experience. I voted for the fully built because I doubt you would sell many of the kits and if you did you would be spending a lot of time supporting them when they run into installation issues.

I agree, I'd rather sell fully built units that I have tested. But, I wasn't sure if the price was attactive enough. It's kind of a big investment (for me) to buy the parts for the modules, not to mention the time to build them and get them into SMEC's. The pricing is my best guess right now (not having bought any components yet). But it's in the ballpark. It really depends on what I have to pay for SMEC/SBEC cores.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

How about if you asked for cores? That may help on the price.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

turbo addict

i would be intrested in one, either the self made/fully built, after some reviews on how hard it is to install would decided then what to get, this would make tuning a snap and it sounds like a good idea to ask for cores, that could keep the price down, if no core it costs more

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

I am in for either a kit or the whole shebang. If you need a test mule,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Hey Rob - I wish I had gotten a chance to talk to you at SDAC, as this was the exact subject I wanted to talk to you about (also wanted to thank you in person for all of your contributions - BIG THANKS!).

I bought a full blown flashable smec with the drb to laptop connector module from Jason about a year ago, and it stopped working shortly after I got it. The smec still works (runs my car), but I can't get the flash to work anymore. It was flaky from the beginning, but I was at least able to get it to flash back when I first bought it (usually with multiple failed tries in between successful ones). Now I can't get it to flash at all.

I don't know if the problem is in the smec or the little board that connects to the drb plug in the harness. Is there any chance you would be willing to take a look at it if I sent it to you?

Worst case, I'll buy a new setup from you if/when you decide to start making/selling them.

I voted "fully built".

Jon

Garrett booster

I'm interested in a fully built unit.
    1984 DC Rampage 1990 Daytona C/S VNT 1988 Conquest

Quote Originally Posted by 1966 dart wagon View Post
    i would be intrested in one, either the self made/fully built, after some reviews on how hard it is to install would decided then what to get, this would make tuning a snap and it sounds like a good idea to ask for cores, that could keep the price down, if no core it costs more
    Here's Jason's instructions for installing it. http://www.merkurboys.com/wiki/index...C:FlashInstall
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I voted for the kit just because I also like to do things myself. I would love a flashable SBEC.

turbo addict

Flashable SBEC FTW! A smec I would be interested in too just so I could get a good tune in before swapping a harness to put an SBEC in my vintage 88.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

turbo addict

rob does the full setup also include the serial cable to plug into the laptop? Jason has 7-8 SMECS of mine I could send you to get you started if you wanted. I need 2 smec setups with serial cables. I like to hard wire the cables into the car so I can just plug the laptop in and go.

The one setup I got from Jason has had zero issues. If i had known he was gonna get pissy (hehe) and quit i would of had him make me 2 more right away.

$150 wouldn't be too bad if it came with the serial cables too.

turbo addict

after reading the instructions, and seeing sodering on the board, no way, FULL KIT

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast