Thread: HELP: Key Is Stuck In The Ignition!

Garrett booster

HELP: Key Is Stuck In The Ignition!

Hey Everyone,
    Well today I pulled my car into the garage to put in a new stereo. I have to move in the driveway to get something then pull it back in the garage. I get in there and go to shut the car off but no can do. The key is stuck in the run position of the column!! To kill the engine I had to pull the coil wire. I drive this car everyday and need to get this resolved. I have tried everything and I can't get it. The black part that sticks out of the ignition switch that makes it possible to turn the car over it broken but rarely falls out. I have just been dealing with it. I think the cover thing got out of wack and is pushing the key out which obviously won't let me shut the car off. If you have any idea's please let me know.

Its an '88 Lebaron 5-spd.

- Jon

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: HELP: Key Is Stuck In The Ignition!

I would go get a new key cylinder and replace the old one.

turbo addict

Common problem. You usually have to take the column apart and replace the key cylinder as Cordes said. A lot of times you can get a blank key cylinder from the dealer or aftermarket then have a locksmith key it for your key. That way you don't have a different one than the rest of your locks. Done plenty of those in the 5 years I worked in a shop.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Garrett booster

How do I disassemble the lebaron column? I am pretty far in but can't get it out!!

if you are hood ninja like me I can do it in about 20 seconds with a flathead, but other than that there should be 4 bolts under the dash and some interior panels to take off, then set it on the bench, it aint too hard

Garrett booster

Do you pry it out or what? I know the shadow one's come out easy, not this one though...

For starters, get yourself a set of security torq bits. They are regular bits, but with a hole in the center. Several of the torq screws will be of the security kind.

I had this happen in my previous shadow. I was working at an auto auction at the time. So I paid the visiting lock company 20 bucks to fix the car so I could turn the ignition freely without pliers.

Later I went to the junkyard and re-keyed the car. I found another shadow that still had its keys. Then I grabbed all four locks.

The security bit set comes in handy. I had to re-key my convertible shadow when I got it. I was tried of having several keys to open doors and start the car.

later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

Garrett booster

Well we have a set of torque bits. I tore pretty much the whole column down and can't figure out how to get it out. There is no easy way from what I see... this is annoying....

Garrett booster

Well since nobody here had any answers I went to the library and dug up the info in the Chilton's manual. Its a tilt column so I am doing everything right so far. To get the key back to the lock position I have to drill it out so that should be fun. Thanks.

Garrett booster

Well drilled it out and it goes to the lock position. But we can't get the freakin thing to come out. There is a gear on the back of the lock that we can't get off... we assume thats what is holding it in. Does anyone here have any knowledge that can help me get this out? I still am stuck without wheels...