Thread: Intermediate Shaft!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mcglsr2's Avatar

Intermediate Shaft!!

Gah! So I've been plagued with the intermediate shaft / oil pump gear stripping issues. This happened before, and I'm going through it again right now. I've decided to go with the cryo treated intermediate shaft. Any one know of anyplace that sells these (besides FWD) or of any company that I can send a shaft to to be cryo treated?

Thanks!
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

turbo addict

Re: Intermediate Shaft!!

Are you running high power or something? Could be bad mounting? Are you putting in a new oil pump and shaft when they fail? Are they both failing?

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Are you running high power or something? Could be bad mounting? Are you putting in a new oil pump and shaft when they fail? Are they both failing?
    lol, what's your definition of high? haha, i'm under 300. probably more under than i would like. the first time this happened, i replaced the intermediate shaft, but not the pump (didn't know better). then i later ended up replacing the pump. so what's in the car now is the replacement shaft (which was ordered from a dodge dealer in texas) and an oil pump from fwd (i can't remember if it's the high volume one or not, i'll have to check my records). and now the timing is off again, the distributor is way off from TDC. removed it and looked down into the gears, looks like they got eaten again on the shaft. so i'm not exactly sure what's causing it. i'm stepping it up to the cryo treated shaft and crossing my fingers that it will be okay. i guess probably should look at the oil pump too but i really don't want to have to buy another one.

so i was looking for any sources to either get a cryo treated shaft or to have one cryo treated.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

turbo addict

Well I think TU is also doing Cryo now. Id still suggest looking at the pump and making damned sure it's good. It should be but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by overlordsshadow View Post
    Well I think TU is also doing Cryo now. Id still suggest looking at the pump and making damned sure it's good. It should be but you never know.
    the oil gear looks pretty good. it's got surface wear "shine" where it's made contact but no metal wear that changes the gear shape. so i'm going to reuse it and keep my fingers crossed.
    Scott
    87 Shelby CSX #581

The Car

Hybrid booster

HEY ,MCG, PST TECHNOLOGIES, IN CLEARWATER, FLORIDA,THAT MAKE HIGH HORSEPOWER
    DRIVESHAFTS,NASCAR, NHRA,ext, HAVE DO CROYO,MAYBE GIVE THEM A CALL, OR TAKE A RIDE,DOWN 275