Thread: No reverse in my 525?

turbo addict

No reverse in my 525?

Hey guys, I picked up a 84 page recently (pics soon) and rebuilt the carb and got it running. Problem is, it doesn't seem to have a reverse gear. The shifter is very sloppy, and when I push down on the shifter and try to put it in reverse it feels like it is going into a gear, but still goes forward. If i put it in 5th it bogs bad so I think that the rest are shifting okay. I haven't driven it yet thou, it only has 2 lug nuts on each wheel. lol.

Any ideas where to start?

Thanks guys.
    Dustin

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Re: No reverse in my 525?

I would say the shifter is not getting far enough to put the tranny in reverse due to the excessive slop. $30 or so should get you all new rods and joints from the dealer, that will take care of the slop. Then adjust the shifter properly and go from there.

turbo addict

kinda figured. A buddy of mine has all the stuff off of his charger from when he did his 523 swap. Ill have to go get it and put it on today. How do I adjust the rods? Ive done cables before, but not rod.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

You'll need a 13mm socket and a deep 10mm socket. Put the car on jackstands and leave the tranny in neutral. Locate the shifter lock pin on top of the tranny selector housing:

Remove the pin and re-install it upside down. You will likely have to have someone move the shifter around a little to find the locating hole inside the housing. Once it's lined up, the pin should drop in far enough to thread back in (still in the upside down position):

This locks the transmission in the neutral position between first and second gears. Next, working under the car, loosen the clamp on the shift tube coming from the shifter, enough so that the connecting rod from the shifter slides freely in the tube. Now on the bottom of the shifter housing, there will be a hole, which you need to line up with the mark on the bottom of the bracket:

Line it up like in the pic and re-tighten the clamp on the shifter tube. Re-install the lock pin in the upright position and you're done.

turbo addict

works now. Thanks