Thread: urethane and fiberglass

turbo addict

urethane and fiberglass

Can you glass over urethane? I have a few bad spots on my GFX and was thinking of using fiberglass to repair and reinforce, but I wasn't sure if the resin would damage the urethane....

Garrett booster

Re: urethane and fiberglass

Fiber glass over top of urethane would be crap, the urethane in our cars has too much flex and is a lot more flexible than fiberglass meaning the glass would just crack. Why do you think all of the idiots with Hondas that use fiberglass body kits look like ----?

turbo addict

well the point would be to cover the whole piece with glass to stiffen it, i figured the glass would pop off if the piece flexed much anyways. i may end up just patching it with aluminum and rivets...i don't care if it looks great, i just want it solid.

turbo addict

it can be done. i've used a product called bondo-hair to fill small holes in facia's before. basically its bondo with strands of fiber glass in it. worked fine and no issues. a little tough to sand though and im not sure how well it will hold on a large area as the spots i used it for were about the size of a quarter

turbo addict

I used long hair bondo for some body work, and I have a ton of it laying around. My concern was it popping off due to flexing and/or the resin eating the urethane. I may just glass in some supports and be done with it, but I also want to fill the fog light holes and extend the dam down and brace it to get some downforce. i'll probably just aluminum for the holes...anyways, thanks for the input. I'll probably do this on my buddy's CSX rear bumper where there is a small crack.

turbo addict

you may want to drill a tiny hole at the ends of the crack/ tear to keep it from spreading before fixing it. you may also want to get a product like these a shot as well http://www.lord.com/Home/ProductsSer...1/Default.aspx

Hybrid booster

Good link.

turbo addict

turbo addict

you'll like this! i decided to extend the air dam with some garden edging, which seems like it'll actually look good, and it's really stiff so it'll keep the air out from under the car...anyways, i took some extra trimmings and used as filler. i heated up a screw driver with a propane torch and fused the crack back together, after drilling holes at the termination points. then i filled in the holes with the hdpe trimmings, and it is actually pretty damn robust. i tugged on it pretty good and it isn't coming apart. i actually do have a nice soldering iron (high wattage) with plastic spatulas, but i couldn't find em, and the torch was there so screw driver for the win! i do have an extra air dam, just in case i messed up, but all seems well.

turbo addict

pics?