Thread: Lean Failsafe?

Hybrid booster

Lean Failsafe?

Well, I think I'm going to make the plunge and just buy a rebuilt engine and head for my car because I am tired of all the leaking, breaking, knocking, banging, and did I mention breaking this engine has a tendency towards. I was looking at one from S and S engines (so warn me if you've had a bad experience please! http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/do...3-engines.html, or anywhere else I can get a good rebuilt one warrantied around $1500), they are cheap, have a good warranty, and are BBB accredited since 2003. Anyways...

Since this is going to be a daily driver and I can't afford to fix it more than once, is there any types of fail-safes to prevent a lean condition burning a piston? I don't mean a wide-band 02 or warning device, but something that will like shut the engine off or cut out all spark if a sudden lean condition is apparent? Even running stock boost all it takes is an injector or fuel pump or the computer to sh!t a brick and my car is down again... regardless of what condition they are in I just don't trust them to be working 100% every day on a nice new engine. Thanks in advanced,
    -Robert

turbo addict

Re: Lean Failsafe?

$140 for new injectors or $70 + shipping to flow test and clean the ones you've gone.
    $120 for new fuel pump with new fuel hoses rated for intank use
    $40 for new fuel pressure regulator
    $20 for new fuel injection hoses all around
    $80 for new mopar o2 sensor.
    $250 for wideband o2 sensor

Then check all wiring make sure they're in good condition.

If you do all those, you're pretty safe....

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Looks ok but what about shipping?

Surely you can find someone local to build you an engine and use Forged pistons for around that price or slightly more? Wish you were closer,

I bet that engine has Hyper pistons.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Anonymous_User's Avatar

Unless you plan to replace every sensor, device, connection related to the engine, you can drop in all the rebuilt engines you want and still have problems.

I'd be interested to know if their warranty would cover a lean condition since that isn't their problem.

1300 for rebuilt engine
    149 core charge
    275 shipping to your door

$1724.00

You can buy all the rebuild parts from the vendor of your choice for around $600 (Mahle pistons). That leaves $1100 for machine work. . . more than enough. And, you KNOW what parts are inside!!!

turbo addict

I get pretty frustrated too. I'm running an '86 block so I'm really thinking about going and picking up a block from the JY just to have in my back pocket for when the fit-hits-the-shan.

I've figured up prices for all this stuff too. The best I can figure though, the only way to keep from breaking stuff is to start riding my bicycle. And I think trying to fix all the leaks on a Dodge is a fool's errand.

I'd also bet you're better off doing it yourself too (having a local shop do the work, etc.). My best friend's dad has worked for Jasper in southern Indiana for years. There is little doubt to me that those kinds of shops try to do a good job, but they way the churn and burn to try to get parts out, there is no way it'll less risky than doing it yourself. ... that and I've now been privy to a couple of decades of Jasper horror stories.

Pluses for Anonymous and Turbovanman. If the out of town engine goes bad you have two way shipping and labor again. Not a good deal. Rick Diogo is northern Fl. He might know a good rebuilder down your way.
    Take a survey of local mechanics (not in the uppity areas) for engine rebuilders. Maybe in Jacksonville.

If you have a decent set of guages, its pretty hard to melt a motor. I know I say this time and time again but a Dawes is one of the best and cheapest monitors you'll ever get. Its simple to use and mount and best of all, you can see it out of the corner of your eye if you mount it that way. As soon as you see RED, you lift, and there accurate. I've never melted a motor if I paid attention to it, meaning lift at red,

http://turbosunleashed.com/shop/prod...products_id=57

All you can really do is like above, replace all your fuel components and your mostly guaranteed years of trouble free service.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Yeah I never really thought about the shipping if something breaks! I have a Cyberdyne gauge right now, though its tough to read at full throttle when you gotta have your eyes on the road. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere close to rebuild it. Yeah and you gotta move down south Simon! I'd have a killer transmission and engine from you by now!

Quote Originally Posted by Shelbydaytona91 View Post
    Yeah I never really thought about the shipping if something breaks! I have a Cyberdyne gauge right now, though its tough to read at full throttle when you gotta have your eyes on the road. Hopefully I'll be able to find somewhere close to rebuild it. Yeah and you gotta move down south Simon! I'd have a killer transmission and engine from you by now!
    Yeah, you and a few others, lol.

But seriously, consider the DAWES, you can mount it almost anywhere, Whorse just put one inside his dash, next to his tach, looks sweet.

turbo addict

even better, get a wideband and use the dawes on the lambda output, so you get accurate readings....

Quote Originally Posted by t3rse View Post
    even better, get a wideband and use the dawes on the lambda output, so you get accurate readings....
    That works too and never thought of that, hmmmmmmmmmm, thanks,