Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Back-Flushing Coolant

  1. #1
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    392

    Back-Flushing Coolant

    Any suggestions on how to best flush ALL the old coolant out of my 86S?

    I used to use those Prestone kits to backflush but don't really want to cut my hoses to install. Is a better way out there?

    Any suggestions on the best lime / calcium dissolver to use (CLR, Rydlime)?

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    I just cut the heater-to-waterpump hose...it's no biggie. Then I put a clamp on the leg that goes to the pump so that the fresh water is forced into the heater core in reverse. Then I:

    1) Pull the lower rad hose off the pump, which drains the block fairly well.

    2) Hook it back up

    3) Let the system fill back up with water

    4) Go back to step 1.

    Do that a couple of times and the system will be quite flushed.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,187

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    I suggest buying a new radiator. This is after the 2nd CLR treatment...




  4. #4
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    392

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Man, I saw those pics on another thread. Nasty!

    Sounds like I should skip the CLR or Rydlime.

    My car is cooling fine. I just bought it and I like to change out all the fluids / coolant to know where I'm at with it.

    Thanks for the back-flush tip!

  5. #5
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    392

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    One other thing...what coolant do you guys use?

  6. #6
    Hybrid booster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    392

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    When you cut your hose, did you install one of those Prestone valves to force the water into it?

  7. #7

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    I did, but it's not necessary. They give you this little adapter that injects air into the water stream, but I don't know how much it really helps.

  8. #8

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    I use Zerex superflush. You run their flush in the car for a few hours. After that,I drain the system. I then disconnect all my coolant lines short of the turbo's coolant return. Then I stick my garden hose into each point coolant flows through. I do this until the water comes out clear each way.

    Then I remove the radiator to back flush that. I found you don't get all the crap out of the radiator until you remove it and stand it on the it's side. I also remove the coolant overflow bottles to clean those out too.

    Then refill with coolant.

    I've done this on both my shadow and neon. My shadow after one flush still had brown coolant. I got more serious on the backflush. Basically my second flush looked worst then the provided picture. Now the shadow has nice green coolant.

    Then came the neon. I thought the neon was in good shape with all its green coolant. Wrong. I flushed more crap out of the neon then the shadow. Even more so when I removed the radiator.

    I also used the prestone coolant flush kit. It sucks and a waste of money.

    Later
    James Dempsey Jr 91 Dodge Shadow ES convertible 95 Dodge Neon Sport sedan 2.4 5spd

  9. #9
    turbo addict Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I suggest buying a new radiator. This is after the 2nd CLR treatment...



    What procedure did you use to get those results? I need to do that to my T-III radiator.

  10. #10
    The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Akron, Ohio
    Posts
    6,870

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    I like the acid/neutralizer flush thats out there. The prestone super flush is crap. I used to get it from a friend at Oldsmobile for cheap.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

    A man has got to know his limitations.....

  11. #11
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,187

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    What procedure did you use to get those results? I need to do that to my T-III radiator.
    If I can go back in time, I would have definitely bought a NEW aftermarket radiator for $200 and be done with.

    But if you must know how I did it, I took out the radiator and put it flat on the ground. Pour 1 qt of CLR in and full the rest with warm water. (Don't spill the CRL on anything... like lime rock or driveway, it will eats it) Let it sit for 15 minutes, drain and start fill the radiator half full with water, and start shaking radiator for 2 minutes, drain.

    Repeat about 4 times.

    It helps, but just not enough for 110-120 degree weather here.


  12. #12
    turbo addict Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    If I can go back in time, I would have definitely bought a NEW aftermarket radiator for $200 and be done with.

    But if you must know how I did it, I took out the radiator and put it flat on the ground. Pour 1 qt of CLR in and full the rest with warm water. (Don't spill the CRL on anything... like lime rock or driveway, it will eats it) Let it sit for 15 minutes, drain and start fill the radiator half full with water, and start shaking radiator for 2 minutes, drain.

    Repeat about 4 times.

    It helps, but just not enough for 110-120 degree weather here.

    I agree I wish I could find a new T-II radiator. The car runs warmer than it should around town. Going down the highway it will get too hot at like 70 mph. Turn the blower motor on and it cools back down where it should be. W/P, t-stat, and hoses are all new when i put the motor in, and timing is right. This is the last resort. Thanks for the info.

  13. #13
    turbo addict JDAWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hagerstown, Maryland, United S
    Posts
    2,490

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    I agree I wish I could find a new T-II radiator. The car runs warmer than it should around town. Going down the highway it will get too hot at like 70 mph. Turn the blower motor on and it cools back down where it should be. W/P, t-stat, and hoses are all new when i put the motor in, and timing is right. This is the last resort. Thanks for the info.
    thats interesting, my 88 P always got hot around town but on the interstate even doin like 75 it was cold. My 90 G always stays cold, sometimes it get a lil up there sittin at mickey d's drive thru but then the fan kicks on and all is good.

    edit- knock on wood

  14. #14
    Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor tryingbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    7,187

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    I agree I wish I could find a new T-II radiator.
    I have a re-cored TII radiator if you're interested. $250 + shipping.

  15. #15
    turbo addict Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl.
    Posts
    2,308

    Re: Back-Flushing Coolant

    Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I have a re-cored TII radiator if you're interested. $250 + shipping.
    Sorry, I dropped an I I meant a T-III.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •