Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cometic vs mopar performance HG?

TurboII

cometic vs mopar performance HG?

what would you rather choice...cometic or mopar and why. I want to get head studs too along with turbo line kit.

Re: cometic vs mopar performance HG?

Cometic because I don't like changing head gaskets and it is reusable. Ask 1fastcsx289 about the MP acting as a fuse theory; it is a myth.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Go MP, Cometic are almost too good, I had a Cometic let go but melted some serious stuff, whereas when I ran an MP, it let go before doing any serious damage. If your good at tuning etc, run a cometic.
    Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 07-18-2008 at 03:27 PM.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

There are enough fast guys keeping the MP gaskets in their cars at higher boost levels that I would use a MP gasket if I had to put one in.

Ppl call MP headgskets their "fuse." somepeople want something that can fail at a time when something goes terriblely wrong rather than their pistons. im running a 3 later Cometic and will continue to

Cool Re: cometic vs mopar performance HG?

Quote Originally Posted by slasky View Post
    Cometic because I don't like changing head gaskets and it is reusable.
    How many times? I can buy 5 MP gaskets for the price of one Cometic. Also, I have reused the MP's (one time) on several occasions without any problems whatsoever.

turbo addict

Heres a couple pics of a blown cometic gasket. Yes....the head did melt a bit with the gasket, but it was easily repairable. This little accident cost me about 175 bucks.

Now here's a pic of a MP gasket "fuse" which cost me over 1k dollars: Notice the gasket never really "blew"

My opinion is that neither HG is going to protect you from detonation or leaning out. I dont think either really stand up to much more abuse than the other either. Im back to running MP gaskets b/c they are cheap. The Cometic is nice if youre planning on swapping your head on and off alot, but as others have pointed out, you can buy 5 MP gaskets for one Cometic

The MP definately let go but those also look like cast pistons.

The temp for that Cometic to let go was I bet, at least, 1/4-1/2 more than if you had an MP and I guarantee you wouldn't have damaged the head. Been there, done that,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Every day use and most modified cars - MP

All out power cabability - Cometic

The 'fuse' aspect of a head gasket should be for boost only, not detonation. if you are looking to prevent detonation, correct your lack of fuel or too much timing situation, don't hope a head gasket will save your motor.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

The CSX has been running the 005 HG with MP head bolts at 26-30 psi boost for a while and I'm just now having issues. I'm thinking of another 005 HG with ARP studs.
    I tried to make it to the track Friday with the CSX, but after getting the 2.2 quite hot for the first time last week due to all the water pushing out into the overflow jug under 26 psi boost, I didn't take it. I'm thinking of the Cometic, though I've seen some carnage equal to the photos above on 3 types of engines, all of which supposedly had something go wrong with tuning or loss of injector. I've had some great luck with running 30 psi on the MP HG and MP bolts with a good tune, I'm not quite sure how the ARP stud/005 HG combo will hold up.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The MP definately let go but those also look like cast pistons.

The temp for that Cometic to let go was I bet, at least, 1/4-1/2 more than if you had an MP and I guarantee you wouldn't have damaged the head. Been there, done that,
    Nope.....those are forged Venolias so I would have to disagree. The temp required to melt those venolias must have been pretty high. The alky pump didnt kick on and thats what caused it......melted every piston. There was no audible detonation either......thats just boost and heat.

I agree with JT.....dont use your HG as a fuse. Im switching back to stock electronics this round and I will hopefully have some more safeguards in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    The CSX has been running the 005 HG with MP head bolts at 26-30 psi boost for a while and I'm just now having issues. I'm thinking of another 005 HG with ARP studs.
    I tried to make it to the track Friday with the CSX, but after getting the 2.2 quite hot for the first time last week due to all the water pushing out into the overflow jug under 26 psi boost, I didn't take it. I'm thinking of the Cometic, though I've seen some carnage equal to the photos above on 3 types of engines, all of which supposedly had something go wrong with tuning or loss of injector. I've had some great luck with running 30 psi on the MP HG and MP bolts with a good tune, I'm not quite sure how the ARP stud/005 HG combo will hold up.
    I've run over 30 psi on an 005 and studs, no issues whatsoever,

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Nope.....those are forged Venolias so I would have to disagree. The temp required to melt those venolias must have been pretty high. The alky pump didnt kick on and thats what caused it......melted every piston. There was no audible detonation either......thats just boost and heat.

I agree with JT.....dont use your HG as a fuse. Im switching back to stock electronics this round and I will hopefully have some more safeguards in place.

Interesting, I had mine at least at 2000 deg and not a mark,

But that is also what happened to Corby, he melted his head and pistons, badly,

I still prefer the head gasket as a fuse, there are too many variables to go wrong and a head gasket is cheap insurance. Its like building a stereo system, do you install a smaller 15 amp fuse or say f*ck it and put a 100 amp fuse in.

I still prefer the head gasket as a fuse, there are too many variables to go wrong and a head gasket is cheap insurance. Its like building a stereo system, do you install a smaller 15 amp fuse or say f*ck it and put a 100 amp fuse in.
    But sean had more damage before the MP gasket blew than he did when the cometic blew.
    SDAC member "It's not the ride, it's the rider."

turbo addict

But sean had more damage before the MP gasket blew than he did when the cometic blew.
    Than again, I can do anything!

Admin- "Alexandria" Ken... Comes W/4 Car Garage Turbo Mopar Staff GLHSKEN's Avatar

Cometic because I don't like changing head gaskets and it is reusable. Ask 1fastcsx289 about the MP acting as a fuse theory; it is a myth.
    Nothing will help a flame front melting a piston..... The type of damage he sustained was similar to mine at SDAC 15... Mine bured the IRON block as well...

Not a myth... Ask me...

I have no use for a cometic.
    Ken Adler....
    Cars, A few (9)

Weird, as noted, I am the opposite, lol.

Well Sean and I same to be able to break all kinds of stuff,

I'm not going to get into this because it's really only a cost vs. desire kind of thing.

However, I will add something for people to think about. How many cars these days come factory stock with MLS gaskets? Why is that? And when they do, how often do the people that modify them go yelling to the aftermarket... "Please give us a composite gasket so we can really turn these things up!" ??

It doesn't. Nobody does. Just something to stir the pot some.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valves View Post
    I'm not going to get into this because it's really only a cost vs. desire kind of thing.

However, I will add something for people to think about. How many cars these days come factory stock with MLS gaskets? Why is that? And when they do, how often do the people that modify them go yelling to the aftermarket... "Please give us a composite gasket so we can really turn these things up!" ??

It doesn't. Nobody does. Just something to stir the pot some.
    They went to MLS to seal stuff up, OEM's were tired of oil leaks, weeping this etc with dissimiliar metaled engines,

Do MLS gaskets work, sure do, are they worth 3-4 times the cost of an MP gasket, I say no but thats just me,

turbo addict

Well Sean and I same to be able to break all kinds of stuff,

It takes a special talent.

TurboII

At first when i was have oil leaking problems coming from the back of the engine i thought it was return tube from the turbo. Thats turned out to be a negative. then i looked at the oil pan gasket ...negative. so thought head gasket. so did that compression test and cylinder number 2 was 50psi and 3 was just on its way out. Not to mention on a 60,000mile engine. thought i cracked and ring but i didn't. exhaust valve on 2 and 3 burned out, as well as my valve guides hence were the oil problem was coming from. So when i pulled the head i inspected the head gasket. turns out that thing was in very good shape with just about 27,000 miles on that gasket. i was surprised it was in such great shape. SO IM STICKING WITH IT. CHEAP AND EFFECTIVE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast