Thread: Somender Singh Grooves

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Question Somender Singh Grooves

Hi,

doing some research on what could be done to a head while it is off waiting for a new headgasket I fell over @mpgmikes article on Headporting in Allpar (http://www.allpar.com/fix/holler/head-porting2.html) and those Grooves in the Combustion Chamber based on Somender Singh's theory.

I obviously did some googling and found it difficult to find anything negative about this.

At the same time I was surprised not having read anything about this around here. At least I did not find anything. So I would be interested to know if there are people around who actually applied this technic and if their experience confirms what is written about it.

I definetly found it interesting, yet I know too little to be able to make a judgement.

So I would really appreciate input.
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Re: Somender Singh Grooves

Thanks! You are the living thread index :-)
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post
    Thanks! You are the living thread index :-)
    Hahahaha, thanks.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Simon, I am still on the first thread and worked my way up to page 8 now, here's a quicky: Did you finally do it???

Quote Originally Posted by MopàrBCN View Post

Simon, I am still on the first thread and worked my way up to page 8 now, here's a quicky: Did you finally do it???
    No, but I might try it with my wife's R/T.

I think I will give it a go. I am too curious and now is a good chance.
    I have at least one more week where I can do nothing but wait for gaskets to arrive and I have a shop right next door.

BTW: Off Topic. There was a mentioning of those "common" between Valve cracks. I actually have those (one in each chamber, tiny but visible). Do you know where they come from and what problem they might cause? The statements I got so far are, that I shouldn't need to worry about them, but to be honest I do. In fact those cracks are the reason that I am willing to test new things thinking I may need to replace the head soon.....

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

if you do this, can you please do a back to back test. put head without grooves on. go to dyno and record ALL results and conditions. then have head grooved and put back on. repeat test.

im a little skeptical (as with anything) till i see proper testing done and as of the last time i looked, there was no back to back test.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Hi, in fact, during reading the other thread I started thinking about it, but won't promise it here and now.

There are reason why I might not be able to do it:

1. I am not having proper fascilities to swap heads to start with. Right now the car is in a friends shop, and it was scheduled to be a week there to swap a turbo and now we are entering the second month due to the time it takes getting parts shipped over from the US to Spain and also that a lot of things we didn't calculate to need turned out to be needed.

-> So to do this I would rely on this friends help....so I have to discuss this first with him.

2. Dynos are very few around in Spain. I am lucky in a sense that I have access to one of a professional race engine shop. I have a top deal with them to tune my cal. I am even sure there would make me a top deal for this extra (if anything) but yet, I have to ask before hand.

So, that said, I am willing but have to clear things up beforehand. If I commit myself, I'd like to do it right. I then would take @TonyHannahs way of testing, which seemed a good way of making a point (or not).

The cracks are normal between the valves, nothing to worry about.

This is good news!! THANKS!!

turbo addict

PLEASE DO THE TESTING IF POSSIBLE! Then everyone will shut up about whether it works or not!

I would but I don't have the time, money or energy to do it, although a TIII would be easier.

I've done it to mine. Its not so much that it makes more power, its supposed to reduce/eliminate detonation so you can run more timing, more timing is what makes power. I can leave the car in 5th gear and still climb a fairly steep hill at 35mph.

BTW: I haven't done it at the end. Problem was that I was running out of time during the build up. Should I have the head down again I will try it though..

Hybrid booster

Back to back testing has been done. Just not on our cars. Singh's site has the link. A very in-depth doc was created. I run them.

I did it on my head, then Mike said its not needed so we will see what happens. I was running some good timing with no knock so maybe with the grooves, I can add a few more degree's and see what happens. I was actually quite suprised how it didn't want to knock, and I found out this time out my head has been decked over .080", which is over a 1/4 inch and worth a point in compression. I was sure these pistons were lower than I wanted and the milled head brought it back up, I had 150 across the board.