Thread: WTB: 88/89 SMEC 60 and 10 pin connectors

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

WTB: 88/89 SMEC 60 and 10 pin connectors

Hi, I'm looking for a 60 pin and a 10 pin connector with 3-6 inches of wire on them. They need to be for a turbo smec from 88 or 89. I'm hoping someone already has a harness which has been cut apart and is willing to sell me the 2 connectors for the smec. Please PM me with offers. I'm looking to pay around 25$ for the connectors + whatever shipping costs.

turbo addict

Re: WTB: 88/89 SMEC 60 and 10 pin connectors

I may have to go to a salvage yard this week. If I can find them I will get those connectors for you.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Awesome, LMK. Please make sure they're from a turbo, I believe the TBI connectors are different.

You can still get the pins from the Motor-mite/Dorman parts packages. I would seriously recommend you buy the pins and re-terminate instead of splicing, as I assume you are going to do? The 10 pin is the harder one as you would need to re-splice those, unfortunately.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    You can still get the pins from the Motor-mite/Dorman parts packages. I would seriously recommend you buy the pins and re-terminate instead of splicing, as I assume you are going to do? The 10 pin is the harder one as you would need to re-splice those, unfortunately.
    Actually, I'm going to be doing some bench testing with the smec I have. I'm going to try and get my winlog and logworks2 plugins working with a smec, and it's eaiser to do this than to try and install the smec in my csx.

I actually found that the pins on a molex hdd connector for a pc match the 10-pin connector size pretty well. If you can get the old pin out, one from a hdd will work fine.

Thanks for the info though.

Well that is a very good idea and thanks for the note about the molex connectors working for the 10-pin connector. I would love to re-wire that to fit harness better. Good luck!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Actually, you should buy a whole harness so you'll have a spare set of other things. I may just do what you are doing and get a spare harness if there is one for sale while at SDAC.

Lol, thing is I have a spare harness. 2 problems with using it though:
    1) it's in good shape so I don't want to cut it
    2) Fiancee is going to look at me like even more of a mad scientist if I have a whole wiring harness spread out on my side of the office.

Not to mention that a whole harness will probably stank up our small office space. It's all about keeping the peace...

I really figured there'd be a bunch of people who have hacked up harnesses laying around that they use for spare parts. All the ones I use are from Imperials and Newports, lol.

turbo addict

Wow imperial and newport.. Two words I haven't heard in a while. A little off topic, but how does that MS-II work for you? Is it better than a modded LM? Harness won't be my spare parts. I sold the shelby Z harness last year. Just a salvage yard special that would get melted to nothing and then good for no one if I don't save it.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Wow imperial and newport.. Two words I haven't heard in a while. A little off topic, but how does that MS-II work for you? Is it better than a modded LM? Harness won't be my spare parts. I sold the shelby Z harness last year. Just a salvage yard special that would get melted to nothing and then good for no one if I don't save it.
    A friend has stripped big blocks out of many an old chrysler. He's got like 3 440 and 4 or 5 383's just lying around. He just bagged a bunch of harnesses from the cars he was stripping.

MS-II is great, it's only real drawback is the knock sensing facilities. If I ever get around to it, and if there's a spare a/d converter on my MS, I'd like to write up some code to use our knock sensors and copy in one of the factory knock tables.

In some ways it's better than a modded lm, the ones that do it for me are: realtime tuning integrated into a nice display screen, no worries about running out of cpu over 7k rpm, ability to do coil on plug setups, and direct wideband input. And they've made great strides in things like accel enrichment and boost control. However, you still have the trouble of wiring the MS in, and it doesn't check to see if sensors have failed like our factory ecu's do. I've also had problems with component failure that was very hard to track down. One of our PWM FETs let go, but would only act up after 10-15 minutes. The failure may have been caused by something my bro or I did, but it's something to be prepared for. There really are lots of trade offs either way.

turbo addict

So in other words MS is like race car type stuff almost similar to what IRL or cart might have used. I know they loved their datalogging and the screen they saw back in the early 90's late 80's was by far no better than MS.

So in other words MS is like race car type stuff almost similar to what IRL or cart might have used. I know they loved their datalogging and the screen they saw back in the early 90's late 80's was by far no better than MS.
    I don't know that it's that close to what they used in IRL. IRL teams, obviously, had more money the than anyone in the MS commmunity has now and were probably able to have their ECU hardware custom built. But Moore's law has brought things to a point where you desktop cpu is vastly more powerful than what runs your car in terms of raw computational power.

I believe that the MS-II hardware uses the same processor chip as our SMEC and SBEC cars. If it's not the same chip, it's in the same family. The older MS 1 hardware uses something similar to the processor in the LMs. So the hardware isn't all that different, it's just that MS is much more open and accessible than our ECUs.

Anyone have 2 connectors on a crap harness they don't mind cutting out? I'll go up on the price a little bit, but I'm not going pay what a good harness commands.

Please? You guys aren't gonna make a grown man beg, are you?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Back in the 90's, the Cosworth cars at least used a special-built ECU for the engine and another one for datalogging that were both based on the Motorola 68332 (32-bit) processor. Datalogging had 12bit A/D; litterally hundreds of channels of logging capability including the ability to create 'math' channels (ie, combine 2 signals and a calculation to record a virtual channel). The datalogger software could even create a map of the track based on the 3-axis accelerometer and the 4 wheel speed sensors. I'm pretty sure it was all more advanced then, than even MSII is today.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Back in the 90's, the Cosworth cars at least used a special-built ECU for the engine and another one for datalogging that were both based on the Motorola 68332 (32-bit) processor. Datalogging had 12bit A/D; litterally hundreds of channels of logging capability including the ability to create 'math' channels (ie, combine 2 signals and a calculation to record a virtual channel). The datalogger software could even create a map of the track based on the 3-axis accelerometer and the 4 wheel speed sensors. I'm pretty sure it was all more advanced then, than even MSII is today.
    I've read threads about MS-II not being able to handle the interrupt load of some cam sensors(like 270 teeth or something), so it's still not as powerful as some modern factory ecus. And it's nowhere near whatever Cosworth had. I'd love to get my hands on something like that cosworth datalogger to play with. See what the telemetry on my CSX looks like, lol.

All the work with CAN networks and stuff is making things more interesting for MS users though.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare connector for a smec, would you, Rob?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I've read threads about MS-II not being able to handle the interrupt load of some cam sensors(like 270 teeth or something), so it's still not as powerful as some modern factory ecus. And it's nowhere near whatever Cosworth had. I'd love to get my hands on something like that cosworth datalogger to play with. See what the telemetry on my CSX looks like, lol.

All the work with CAN networks and stuff is making things more interesting for MS users though.

You wouldn't happen to have a spare connector for a smec, would you, Rob?

The datalogger was made by Pi Research. They have an office in Indy, and one in Charlotte, too, by now I'm sure. If you have the money, you can buy the stuff yourself. Of course, you could by 10 TM's for the price of 1 datalogger and software license .

I do have a 60-way connector, but it's not for sale. I use it for spare pins and I eventuablly need to build a bench test/flash setup with it - Sorry.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    The datalogger was made by Pi Research. They have an office in Indy, and one in Charlotte, too, by now I'm sure. If you have the money, you can buy the stuff yourself. Of course, you could by 10 TM's for the price of 1 datalogger and software license .

I do have a 60-way connector, but it's not for sale. I use it for spare pins and I eventuablly need to build a bench test/flash setup with it - Sorry.
    I'll have to go and poke around their website, sounds interesting. It's a shame there's no IRL/CART boneyard, .

No problem on the connector, MRCSX55 is going to hook me up.