Thread: PolyBushings sway bars

Hybrid booster

PolyBushings sway bars

anyone use either the rear or the front ones that he makes?

opinions please

thanks

turbo addict

Re: PolyBushings sway bars

I had his rear L-body bar which I really liked, You could swing the tail whenever you wanted and it really made the front end bite in the corners. You drove it like a 911 Porsche. Keep your foot in it or it'll swing the tail

I tried his front bar on my ShelbyZ with Koni's and 2801 Eibachs. It won't work. The stock bar dips down to clear the A-arms after it leaves the kframe area. His does not. At rest the bar was touching and my car isn't much lower than stock (a-arms are parallel to ground). I couldn't even bolt it up to the a-arms it was touching that much. Even if you're running stock suspension and you can get the thing bolted up with weight on the car I don't see how the bar won't wack the a-arm hard at the 1st bump you hit. And it's not any bigger than a stock "Shelby" bar. So after trying it I don't see a point. I just modded my stock bar to use end links. Works great, doesn't hit anything of course

Hybrid booster

how did you mod it for end links? noticeable difference?

turbo addict

Mitsu booster

I have been a member here for a short time but this will be my first post.My 88 shadow have both front and rear swaybars from polybushings.bought them about two years ago.the rear one works great no problems.the front had the same problem that glhnslht2 had with his,it would hit tha a arms I fixed it by adding washers in between the bushings to the end links to lower it about half a inch from the a arm.now it has more than enough clearance.I've had no issues with it since.

Hybrid booster

so does your car handle pretty well now?

Mitsu booster

handles like it's on rails,but I also have koni coilovers on the front and kyb shocks in back.it's stiff but I like it .

turbo addict

When buying swaybars are you supposed to do them in sets(front and back)? Cause i was reading the mopar 2.2/2.5 book and it sais ALWAYS order both front and back or the car wont be safe.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

You need to tune the front and rear suspensiosn together, however if either front or rear rolls a lot more than the other, you can add just what you need, where you need it. Chrysler had to say what they did thanks to lawyers cuz if you bar up the rear too much, its going to oversteer, which it not allowed from a car maker.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

I thought understeer was bad for handling? Or is it because most people cant handle a car that oversteers?

turbo addict

It's cause the soccer mom freaks out if the rear comes out a bit. So technically understeer is a big safer. But The best handling cars in the world (F1) have a tendency to oversteer. How much really depends on how the driver likes it. If you have a big bar car front and rear the PB sway bars are a waste of $200 since you're not upgrading in size. For $50 or less you can add your end links. That and the front bar doesn't work properly anyway.

The lawyers are to blame for Positive camber in the front and negative camber out back too. Well not the lawyers so much as the sue happy bastards that think it's the car maker's fault because they can't drive for sh!t. Look at the 911 Turbo, or Corvair.

Yes, the natural reaction when getting out of shape from oversteering is to lift throttle or brake, and if you are oversteering in a FWD you need to do the opposite and stab the throttle and pull it straight.

EDIT: +1 to a little oversteer helping. The general goal in tuning front to rear roll bias is to balance them and make the car "neutral"

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

yep, Mines a little oversteery off the gas and nuetral when feeding the throttle in As far as driving it, it's just like a 911 or Corvair, If the rear starts to slide DON'T LIFT!!! Put your foot into it!

turbo addict

What happens if you lift? Does the rear come around? HAHA, I love that feeling.

Yes, the rear comes araound, sometimes all the way, like 360°... absolutely no control once you lose it.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

I have the PB's 1 inch rear sway bar and PB's bushings the 1 1/4 inch stock front bar at the A-arm in my 89 stock Daytona Shelby. The bolts for the rear sway bar hangs really low. I'd try to get a picture this evening.

The PB's front swaybar bushings wouldn't fit at the subframe for my car, so I had to buy energy bushing's bushing.

Car drove a LOT better when I actually have front sway bar bushings, the rubber bushings were long go. Few months later, I added the rear sway bar, the car seems to be a little flatter when cornering. I also have Koni and Eibach. But even with all the available suspension upgrade to my Daytona Shelby, my GLH can probably still out corner it.

Too big to fit

Fit better