Thread: Exhaust sizing.

turbo addict

Exhaust sizing.

Im going to be building a down pipe and side exit exhaust. Im stuck between using 2.5" or 3". Im using 409 mandrel bent, and dumping it behind the drivers door. Running no cat, using a dynomax ultra flow.

Car is a 89 daytona 2.2 TII. 12psi, ported TB, and exhaust manifold. Will be running 20psi in the future. I have a 2.5" swinge valve. and 3" is adequate on my turbo Dakota, so im thinking about staying down to 2.5".

Next questions is does anyone know where to get the flange that attached to the swing valve. I may just take off the SV and weld on a V-band assembly depending on if its cast steel or cast iron.

Re: Exhaust sizing.

2.5 is sufficient for a moderate build. However it won't hinder you to use the 3" if you have it readily available though.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    2.5 is sufficient for a moderate build. However it won't hinder you to use the 3" if you have it readily available though.
    I need to order the bends. I get them cheap though and 2.5 and 3 are pretty much the same price. You know if you can get the flange for the SV. I think its a ball/flange type but I havnt really looked at it.

Garrett booster

you don't mean the donut do you

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would go 3 inch.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 89daytonacs View Post
    you don't mean the donut do you
    What ever is used to attach the down pipe to the SV. I have not had a chance to really look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar318 View Post
    What ever is used to attach the down pipe to the SV. I have not had a chance to really look at it.
    I got mine from TU for the 3". If you have a good NAPA guy you can take your 2.5 up there and go through the catalog and find th eproper 3".

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I would go 3". There will be no detrimental effects going larger on mild build, but it will allow room to grow if you decide to upgrade later.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    I got mine from TU for the 3". If you have a good NAPA guy you can take your 2.5 up there and go through the catalog and find th eproper 3".

So you got a donut with a 3" pipe to to fit the stock swing valve correct? How much was that? I could weld on a reducer but I like the idea of everything being new when im fabbing something, and i hate welding on old metal, especially with a tig.

Can some one post a picture of the factory SW I looked around but couldnt find any pictures, and Im pretty busy with work right now so i dont get much play time. It will help me decide if I wanna weld on a V-band flang or not.

3'' will spool the turbo faster, even on a stock setup.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    3'' will spool the turbo faster, even on a stock setup.
    It already spools damn quick. Im gonna order the pipe tonight. Should start on this within the next few weeks when i get the weekend off for work. Then I can put a bung in for my wideband, and get some more boost to the bastard.

Yes, 3" pipe with the 3" donut in 2 1/2" swingvalve fit fine on my Horizon.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've got 3" but always wondered if it was overboard. Any evidence of clear necessity of 3" to make big power?
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    I've got 3" but always wondered if it was overboard. Any evidence of clear necessity of 3" to make big power?
    A 3'' system has been dyno proven to gain power over a 2.5'' on even less than 300 WHP setups.

Authorized Vendor Turbo Mopar Vendor mario03SRT's Avatar

The LESS restriction the better. Remember you are driving a glorified air pump that will operated much better with NO backpressure on the turbine.

Weight, fit, and expense do play a part in the decision.

turbo addict

I love having my own bussiness, acounts with suppliers are nice. Just got all the materials to do the downpipe, and exhaust, in mandrel bent 304 stainless tubing for 65 bucks.