Thread: Valve Guides

Valve Guides

Vavle guides are worn out. The valves are flopping around beyond tolerable limits. This is not something new to anyhone, but this head was just redone about 1500 miles ago. It was a reman head from a Chrylser dealership. I then had 1mm oversize intake and exhaust valvles installed along with 061 (super 60) valve springs/ chrome moly retainers etc. This was done by a local engine rebuilder for me. I was running a stock 88 tbi cam. Has anthone experienced anything like this before? I suspect the guides were only either knurled or of substandard material on the reman head. I can't see the addition of heavier springs leading to this and am open to any ideas as to why tis happened. Thanks for any input.

Re: Valve Guides

I'd say the problem was probably more with the valves, perhaps inferior grade metal, were they mopar valves or other? Stainless?
    You need to measure inside the guide to see if the guide itself is worn, and also measure the valve stem at several different places and put it against a straight edge to see if that is worn.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Probably poor guides, or were worn out before, incorrect clearance, knurled guides and or crappy valve grind causing the valve to bind thus wearing out the guides.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

What material guides? Sometimes China sends us some pretty crappy quality bronze guides. Had a set of AFR heads that the bronze guides wore almost .100" larger dia in 10,000 miles. Obviously, there was so much clearance, that the valves would open crooked and almost all of them opened outside of the valve reliefs and smacked the pistons.
    Of course, AFR didn't give a crap.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by tvanlant View Post
    What material guides? Sometimes China sends us some pretty crappy quality bronze guides. Had a set of AFR heads that the bronze guides wore almost .100" larger dia in 10,000 miles. Obviously, there was so much clearance, that the valves would open crooked and almost all of them opened outside of the valve reliefs and smacked the pistons.
    Of course, AFR didn't give a crap.
    I'd be pretty irate if that happened to me being as if something like that happened I would be stuck without a vehicle until it was remedied.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Hybrid booster

Have some bronze inserts installed, About $60.00 to have it done by any local speed shop and be done with it.

Having all new bronze lined guides installed. Now for the next question, is it OK to use a stock lift roller cam with 061 (super 60) valve springs? The springs are for 460 to 550 lift but the stock cams are only around 430 lift. could this have been my problem? How about soft lash adjusters? Could they have been my issue? I do not want to put it all back together only to have the same issue occur in another 1000 miles.

I've had 061 springs in 2 different heads running stock cams. Right now I'm running stock cam with 061 springs as a matter of fact LOL. Springs don't really have any affect on valve guide wear.