Thread: FWD Tubo time?

Mitsu booster

FWD Tubo time?

Looking for another driver that's easy on the gas bill. I've never owned a FWD turbo mopar, but I've driven a few. I've always been impressed with the power of the little motors, just didn't like prying my 6' 300lb frame in and out of one. However, $4@gallon + prices have made me think a little. I can get a 86 Lebaron (2.2 turbo) for free. It needs a motor. I know where an '86 turbo motor is (also free). What I don't know is if I can make this car do what I want. I don't have to go fast, but I want to be able to do highway (70+) speeds at 30mpg. Does anyone think this is a achievable goal? Do I have the wrong car? I want a car reliable enough to make a cross country trip if need be. I have heard reliability on the early turbo cars was a problem. I can rebuild a motor if I have to, but I do NOT have a unlimited budget.
    Thanks in advance for any help!
    Bob

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: FWD Tubo time?

I think it would be a reasonable goal for sure. If you open up the exhaust a little you should be looking good for 30MPGs. Maybe port the exhaust manifold too.

turbo addict

As long as it's a stick. The auto's like to get mid 20's. I took my 87 ShelbyZ from Spokane, Wa to SoCal a couple years ago. Only thing I took was a spare tire and a spare piece of intercooler tubing because I knew one piece was about ready to blow. Other than that I just had my clothes and some snacks. The People in the soCal SD meetup thought I was nuts. But hey, build it right and it's just as reliable as a new car.

If you have to rebuild the engine it might be a good time to think about converting it to 87 electronics and a blowthrough style setup. With the intercooler you'll make more power across the rev range and per psi, and have less chance of detonation.

www.thedodgegarage.com will get you started.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

that is an excellent point regarding the auto trans. You would be able to get excellent mpgs still, but you wouldn't be able to do it at 70MPH.

Mitsu booster

Rats, this one's an automatic. I'd prefer a stick, but I want the wife to be able to drive it. I work next to a tractor dealer, so I may have access to some turbo and inter cooler parts.

91+ turbo cars had the auto trannies with the L/U torque converter. That will help drop the RPM's. Wire up the solenoid to be activated with a dash mounted switch. You could also use the numerically lower transfer gears that some models had (not sure which, I think it may have been some various N/A cars). Use a taller 16" wheel and tire, and get a free flowing exhaust.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Welcome!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I know I'm not the only one that wants to see the John Deere/Turbo Mopar hybrid build Bob Build it!

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Hell yeah, +1 to that!

btw, got any '74 GTX pics?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

No Gtx pics yet, barely a roller. Just got a garage up, still got to get to doors and other repairs done. Then I can work on the GTX nightly!

Thanks everyone for all the ideas so far!

Bob

turbo addict

I got 32mpg going 75mph or above going from AZ to CA on a 400 mile trip in my Daytona Shelby manual.

Mitsu booster

tryingbe, what mods done to yours?

I seem to remember the turbo cars having a lower final drive than the N/A cars, but all the roomate's cars were 5-speeds. Is the same true for the auto cars (turbo cars lower geared)?

If that's the case, then if I go with a N/A transaxle, will it be tough enough to handle a turbo motor?

Bob

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Turbo and n/a 5 speeds are the same, autos are almost the same but slightly different internals to handle the power. As for gear ratio's, its not really determined by a turbo. Auto's average around 3000-3300 rpm at 65 mph, you won't get 30 mpg,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

My 87 shadow with turbo and a a520 5 speed got around 30mpg. The 520 is not the strongest but soulf be easy and cheap to find. Find one in the bone yard and take all the cables and shifter while your at it. Keep it stock and rebuild it and it should be a good DD for you!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 74gtxBob View Post
    tryingbe, what mods done to yours?
    Stock everything other than BOV and 3 inch downpipe with exhaust cutout. Don't remember if I opened the cut out or not. 4 people in the car and trunk load of stuff.

turbo addict

He wants his wife to drive it though 5spd car will easily get 30-32 highway. You're not blowing gas away turning the torque converter.

It's been a few years, but I had an auto 2.5 TI 92 IROC Daytona with the lock up tranny. It got really great mileage with the cat hogged out, no muffler and a side exhaust. I'd like to say it got 30 on the highway if you babied it and used the cruise control, but I can't remember the exact number.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]