Thread: 13.0 with dead clutch

turbo addict

13.0 with dead clutch

13.0 6g72 Sundance Duster - Video
    Clutch was slipping bad but still got some decent 60's on my 2nd and 4th passes. Was pretty pissed that the clutch kept me out of the 12's. I ran the 13.0 and then upped the boost a little and ran slower because the clutch slipped worse.

Camera battery almost dead so i didn't spend time getting a pic that is readable when downsized.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 13.0 with dead clutch

my buddy picked up 6 MPH after he found out his clutch was slipping at higher RPM, there was too much pressure on the clutch cable....not the actual clutch slipping

Hybrid booster

thats awsome

Hybrid booster

Good Job

Lots of potential there

Nice. How much boost are you running?

8psi. 3.0 turbo FTW!!!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    my buddy picked up 6 MPH after he found out his clutch was slipping at higher RPM, there was too much pressure on the clutch cable....not the actual clutch slipping
    Thats how the clutch got glazed. Clutch cable too short for the new style clutch arm on transmission.
    But there also might be oil on the clutch.

In my 2nd run when I shift into 3rd you can hear it bog because it was slipping in 2nd and it didnt slip when i hit 3rd.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 06-06-2008 at 09:22 PM.

turbo addict

Clutch looks dry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But look how dead it is! Its been spinning hardcore! I am amazed it was still running 13.0 last friday!
    down to the rivits. Clutch only has 500 miles and almost all of that is freeway.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

500 miles and that much wear....... something is keeping it from fully engaging.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

jeepers. thats pretty bad.

that hard insert on the flywheel doesnt help alot either. the factory flywheel is a softer metal. but at least you can replace those inserts.

that car will be flying once you get a clutch to hook enough to to turn the boost up. good job.

thats on megasquirt right?

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

turbo addict

Stock computer and RRfpr right now. Just tune it with wideband as much as I can control.

Megasquirt will give me the top 1000rpms of my powerband that I am currently missing.

Once I glazed the clutch from the stupid clutch arm difference between 89 and 91 transmissions, it was toast. 2 more track visits and you can see its dead.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Lose the aluminum flywheel, your motor makes too much power for that thing. High HP motors 'spin up' so quick that the clutch never catches up, it is already slpipping from the shift and it gets worse as the power hits. 2-3 TM guys I know have come to the same conclusion. One guy (who's clutch didn't get nearly as baked as yours before he pulled the trans) was able to BeadBlast the disc and PP, install an iron flywheel in place of the Al one, and started beating on it after a few break in miles. The same clutch (with a few more PSI boost) has never slipped since

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

boostaholic

Agreed from above, put the stocker back on. Your 3L makes enough horses to spin it up quick enough.

Aluminum flywheels are only good on 4cyls IMO.

turbo addict

nah, Im gonna keep it until I kill a clutch from pure power. Steel flywheels are something I will get back into if I run 600+ HP because the crankshaft will thank me. I doubt I will ever turn things up that much.

Plenty of people put down 500-600 on 6g72's with aluminum flywheels (including fidanza).