Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oil additives

Hybrid booster

oil additives

has anyone tried that can of engine restore to help with blowby yes i know it will not make it go a way but am just wondering if anyone used it and had a difference (cutdown) in smoking or has any one had problems with it

turbo addict

Re: oil additives

Excessive blowby in a TM usually means cracked piston(s)

Yes, new rings are a good additive to your oil to help with blow-by, especially if they are installed in the pistons.

To help our old smoky 3.0L, I ran 15W50 in it. You can also buy that goo that basically thickens your oil, but it makes a mess of things. There are other snake oils out there, but none of them really do much as far as I have seen. It really depends what the problem is. If it's ring wear, then a thicker oil should help. If it's a cracked pistons, then you could put shale in there and it would still burn it.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I've used Restore (not on a TM) but it is kinda like "piston ring in a can" I would run the compression check to try to determine if it is a cracked ring, but tehn give Restore a try... I'd suggest the V8 size can

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict

Ive ran engine restore in many cars, with great results. Its the one thing that kept my 86 lancer alive that had 170k on it. Had to change the oil every 2k or it would loose all oil pressure from the gas leaking past the rigs. I miss that car! lol.

Heck, I throw it in everything with over 100k on it.

turbo addict

I tried Restore in my TD....did not work at all because of broken ring lands. I had a Dodge Maxi-van that had almost no oil pressue, but no smoke...ended up putting 2 qts of 80 wt gear lube and three qts of straight 50 wt...it helped me drive for a few months with a max of 8 psi....it had been driven for at least a year with no oil pressure by the previous owner...ended up being a spun main bearing.

boostaholic

I have used restore in something other than a dodge with fairly good results,I think the car is still running 10 years later.But I dont think on a turbo car it would be a good idea.

Hybrid booster

hi again car is 2.2 non turbo with about 200,000k. have tried this stuff called no smoke and it seemed to cut back on it so would it be a good idea to run the v8 size can of restore and if it blows that out try the 15w40? ps motor only had 185k on it when i got it had great compression( from 88 la baron)

try lucas

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Restore works great, as long as the pistons aren't cracked. Another good one if you can find it, is the old engine rebuild in a kit, it has waxy/graphite pellets you put into the bore and let sit, I did that on an old worn out 318 and it evened out the compression,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

you mean through the spark plugs and that worked allright the car runs perfect has a little knock at 3500 but its just fine as a dd untill i get another block of mine done, it blows oil sometimes not all the time and sometimes it just smoks like a w*** for instance i drove it to work lastnight it did it part way there on the way home it did it< drove to school today it did it it seems to be intermitant and the temp of the motor dosnt seem to matter

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

My brother used Engine Restore on his '76 Impala Wagon w/400ci SBC. Worked great for a temporary fix!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

What's the compression numbers now?

Hybrid booster

havent deen around a tester but when i got it it was 137 135 136 134 and ive been driving it for about 6 or 7 months hopefully test it soon

turbo addict

We didn't check before and after numbers.

Hybrid booster

what

turbo addict

I'm just telling the guys we didn't check your compression a few weeks ago and we haven't after you added thicker oil.......

Hybrid booster

ya still debating if i should run 15w40 or try restore but hopfully test it soon call ya later

turbo addict

Just get the damned motor rebuilt already!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turzbo View Post
    ya still debating if i should run 15w40 or try restore but hopfully test it soon call ya later
    Do both.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast