Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm New - 1991 Lebaron GTC - Turbo, Manual 5 Speed

turbo addict

Re: I'm New - 1991 Lebaron GTC - Turbo, Manual 5 Speed

Wow a model T.. And a virgin one at that.. Thats about as rare as say a preserved AL Capone hide out. I miss Indianapolis and was there way too short the weekend before last. I grew up in that area and just now saw that thats where your at. What area are you from? My sister lives in Nora and my mom lives in Cicero so I just need a few good excuses to move back
    I saw a car like that one you have now sitting by some trees next to a garage in Carmel. Thats not the one I see in your picture is it?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

WELCOME!!
    Very nice sir! You are blessed. A good 5 speed, 4wheel discs, nice paint and a drop top! I had an 89 GTC for awhile . It's still one of my favorites

Spend some time browsing the "knowledge" pages, and Gary Donovans dodge garage site. Use his link to Gus Mahons page also. The minimopar resource authored by Russ Knize is invaluable!

Make some time and cruise on up to Pontiac Mich for the SDAC rally the 21st thru 24th. You will be amazed and entertained. It's also the biggest gathering of Chrysler turbo experts on the face of the earth.
    If ya make modifications, take um 1 at a time. Drive it, enjoy it, learn.
    Massive multiple mods can be confusing and exasperating.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    [SIZE="6"][COLOR="black"]
    If ya make modifications, take um 1 at a time. Drive it, enjoy it, learn.
    Massive multiple mods can be confusing and exasperating.
    Truer words...

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the advise.

The door handles are off as well as a lot of other trim parts on the car because it had just been painted. The original color was gunmetal gray. I disassembled the whole car so the color change would not be detectable. I hate seeing repaints that have rubber grommets such as those on the door handles painted over.

This is not the car you saw in Carmel I live in the middle of the northside south of Broad Ripple. The car that I have sat believe it or not at some service shop where my wife's Mom had left it when she got sick. Seven years had passed and one day my wife said I wonder where my Moms car is???? Her brother tracked it down and it was right where she had left it (amazing). I had it towed to my house and it was a complete disaster ... rotten top, rotten seats, burned paint, did not run. So my wife wanted to keep it ..... and so I fixed it and it has been parked in the garage for the last three years un-driven but in really great shape. It is a really nice car now. It has been ten years since this car was used as a daily driver and for the last three since I have had it I have I been missing a lot by not driving it.

Three years ago when I fixed it I remember doing the following -
    It has new Sax clutch
    new clutch cables
    new shift cables
    new ignition
    cap/rotor etc
    new fuel pump
    I rebuilt the junk Bosch window motors
    diaelectriced the whole wire harness ... lots of corroded contacts
    brake hoses
    belts
    battery
    pads and rotors caliper slides greased
    power steering high pressure hose
    chassis grease
    Mobil 1
    Junkyard speedometer swap (sucks the replacement reads 100,000+ but who cares)
    Paint
    Seats
    dash and door panels re-dyed from slight sun fading
    carpet washed
    Tires on 16in GTC Lace rims
    and lots of little stuff ... that I don't remember right now

It is a surprisingly easy car to work on ... like a tinker toy.... I love it.

I remember reassembling it on a Saturday and commenting on how the car looked like candy ... I wasn't cussing anything

I will say there are some parts that I think lack some quality most of all the Bosch motors used on the car ... there junk. I hope to find better quality replacements

I will definitely follow the "one thing at a time" philosophy. It is so easy to ruin a great car doing too much too fast. After all the car is great on its own the way it is - what upgrades I will do are for me.

RF

Great looking car Rod, I'm eager to see more pictures of it. Not sure how many 91's were optioned like this, but I'm gonna guess it was only a couple hundred so it's pretty rare. I actually sold a 91 GTC built like yours last year, with the exception that it was red with a white top. Here's a picture...

Welcome to the list and best of luck!
    Last edited by blk86trbo; 06-05-2008 at 02:40 PM.
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mitsu booster

I would really like to know how many were built.

RF

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

RF,

If this section of the forum, this thread has info where you can find out how many and with what options......

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24226

Man, I am truly impressed with the work you have done on that car!! Keep it up and good luck!!

gone crazy Turbo Mopar Contributor J&H Ryan's Avatar

Good looking car. I have its 92 twin in red. Good luck on the mods - the lebaron convertible is the battleship of TD's, but it'll still get up and move with the right mods. You'll be surprised what a S60 turbo, 3" exhaust, an intercooler and a cal will do...
    Ryan
    92 GTC, TIII
    00 XJ

Hybrid booster

Always nice to see another J body.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

If ya ever feel like sellin it ,call me first! I'll give ya my whole entire "stimulus payment"

P.S. the fastest LeBaron belongs to Mr Menegon (badfastGTC) .

Very, very, VERY good looking car! Keep up the good work and these people (minus me...) know what they are talking about with these cars!
    2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Mods coming soon!

Mitsu booster

Thanks for all the good words.

This week I have opened up the exhaust and was going to go for a 3 in. I realized that anything over a 2.5 pipe really isnt going to benefit the motor because the manifold section is at 2.5. So 2.5 it is with a Flowmaster. Hopefully I will be able to convert the car this weekend to intercooled.

I am venting the hood with the Z34 hood vents as I have seen on several to disapate the heat (I like the Z34 vents because of the drip pan configuration from the stock hood set up).

JandH Ryan I would like to see what you have done to yours

and Gearhead I really like the bodykit. I am considering the Razzi Kit. but am having a hard time justifing it. I like the cars looks the way it is and the kit doesn't make it faster "but damn it looks cool"

I really like the look. I saw that your kit was a bargain. If I could buy a kit cheap the decision to install would be easy.

Can't find a picture of the Badfast GTC anybody know where I can view his car??

RF

look for pics of SDAC-15. A white LeBaron 2dr coupe. Steve has not been very "active" lately.

turbo addict

You should be able to Intercool it this weekend. Don't forget you'll need a new upper and lower radiator hose too.
    Brad Pennington-Proud SDAC Member 1987 Dodge Shelby Charger 1988 Chrysler Lebaron Premium Turbo Convertible 1990 Dodge Shadow VNT Competition 1 of 30

Looks awesome keep up the good work
    I love barons and they are kick --- cruisers and can be pretty quick despite the high curb weight.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rodfather View Post
    I am venting the hood with the Z34 hood vents as I have seen on several to disapate the heat (I like the Z34 vents because of the drip pan configuration from the stock hood set up).
    RF
    Blasphemy! No Generic Motors parts on my Mopar.

Seriously tho, nice car. If you happen to find a Razzi kit, grab it. The original kits with the door pieces have been out of production for some time.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12