Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BOV recommendations

Re: BOV recommendations

Tial for me, love the venting area and it is not a high pitch blow off. It is large but I like it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymopar89 View Post
    Tial for me, love the venting area and it is not a high pitch blow off. It is large but I like it.
    I've seen that valve on more 8 and 9 second turboed pro stocks than any other. Due to flow and ability to hold boost it's about the best you can get.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    I picked up a used Tial from my good Buddy Top Fuel Bender for something like $180.00. Used they are out there...but you gotta jump on e'm when you find them.
    Is that the large 50mm one? if so, they don't release at low boost very well either.

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Anybody know how much boost the modded 1st gen DSM will hold?
    Mine held 35 psi easily.

Anyone know about the Turbonetics Raptor BOV?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I have a question. I have currently 4 shims in my turboXS type H. It doesn't even release with any less than ~7 PSI boost. On my old setup with the 2.5 I was running 24-25 PSI boost. Now with the 2.2 I'm cranking the boost controller and it won't go past 20 PSI, in fact it spikes to 20 and then drops to 18 or less. I tried unplugging the boost controller to the wastegate, spiked to like 22 PSI but then dropped to like 16!
    I'm wondering if it's the BOV leaking. But here's my question, even though it's less PSI this setup with the 2.2 I have is definitely flowing more air. So, will additional CFM in the pipes prematurely open a BOV at lower PSI than it did before with a setup flowing less air but more psi?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Is that the large 50mm one? if so, they don't release at low boost very well either.
    Actually the Tial 50mm does work well, BUT, you need to have the right spring inside of it for our application. When I got mine, it had their '11 psi' spring and it would not release unless the boost was above ~5 psi when shifting. I ordered the '7 psi' spring and now it releases even when shifting in vacuum. ATP sells the Tial springs.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    Actually the Tial 50mm does work well, BUT, you need to have the right spring inside of it for our application. When I got mine, it had their '11 psi' spring and it would not release unless the boost was above ~5 psi when shifting. I ordered the '7 psi' spring and now it releases even when shifting in vacuum. ATP sells the Tial springs.
    Not sure which spring I had but anything under 10 or so psi, it would chatter but of course, high boost, it would release nicely,

I picked up a Raptor off Ebay but can't try it until the van comes out of the shop.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    So, could you get a spring that will hold 25 PSI but release as low as 1-2PSI? After reading this I think I might get the Tial just because I don't want a loud BOV. A simple PSHHHH will do just fine.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Tial has a variety of springs that you can swap in. I haven't tested mine at higher than stock boost levels, but I would try the 7 psi spring for starters. It is very quiet and releases at 1-2 psi. The psi rating is not an indication of how much boost it will hold or what psi it will release at, but rather how much pressure differential it takes to unseat the BOV. With the 7 psi spring it still has enough tension to remain closed at idle though.

7 PSI is only 14'' of vacuum, so your BOV is probably open slightly at idle sucking in some air.

turbo addict

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Mine held 35 psi easily.

Anyone know about the Turbonetics Raptor BOV?
    Simon,

I had the exact same problem when using the Tial on a small turbo...but that valve is definately meant for big turbos that flow alot of air. Once I upgraded to a 50 trim and changed the spring for my vacuum it's been perfect and releases at low boost just fine.

Running the 9 LB spring on the tial and it blows off somewhere under 5 psi. I am only running 5PSI for break-in right now. No issues with surge like shown on the stupid mis adjusted cars on youtube advertising a competetors BOV. Do a seach for tial BOV if you do not know what I am talking about. They hook the tial up and have major compressor surge issues, then they hook up their BOV and it works like a charm, go figure.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymopar89 View Post
    Running the 9 LB spring on the tial and it blows off somewhere under 5 psi. I am only running 5PSI for break-in right now. No issues with surge like shown on the stupid mis adjusted cars on youtube advertising a competetors BOV. Do a seach for tial BOV if you do not know what I am talking about. They hook the tial up and have major compressor surge issues, then they hook up their BOV and it works like a charm, go figure.
    I've seen that! That was such a load of crap

turbo addict

havent seen that, let me guess its synapse?
    EDIT: just looked what a joke

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    Simon,

I had the exact same problem when using the Tial on a small turbo...but that valve is definately meant for big turbos that flow alot of air. Once I upgraded to a 50 trim and changed the spring for my vacuum it's been perfect and releases at low boost just fine.
    I was running a 50 trim, other than that, man it held so solid,

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post

Wow, awesome info.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    havent seen that, let me guess its synapse?
    EDIT: just looked what a joke
    Not bad, I wouldn't take it as gospel but not bad.

This vid on there wastegate is pretty cool-

Wastegate testing, my Turbonetics sucks,

Last edited by turbovanmanČ; 06-25-2008 at 01:57 PM.

turbo addict

Just convert over to a draw thru and don't worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    So, could you get a spring that will hold 25 PSI but release as low as 1-2PSI?
    Who cares? Get the HKS. It works at all boost levels and doesn't require shims or spring changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    Who cares? Get the HKS. It works at all boost levels and doesn't require shims or spring changes.
    I just don't care for how it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I just don't care for how it sounds.
    Then get one of the inserts and change the sound. That's another cool feature of the HKS model.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123