Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOV recommendations

BOV recommendations

I need a BOV that can handle over 30 PSI. Any recommendations that don't cost over $200? Right now I have a turboxs type H and have 4 shims in it to handle 25 PSI boost. Only problem is it doesn't release at anything less than 7-8 PSI.

turbo addict

Re: BOV recommendations

HKS super sequential, and Blitz are on the top of my list. The Blitz you can get around 100 bucks used on eBay. They are made VERY nice.

turbo addict

I was gonna say RFL because it sounds awesome but HKS super sequential would be my second choice from what I read.

turbo addict

Oh almost forgot. TIAL. No question is one of the best.

Hybrid booster

ssqv man, i love mine.

turbo addict

Modded Talon BOV

Tial, my Turbo Xs RFL holds 27 and i have a stack of washers in it, it will hold more, but like you said, it messes with normal release, mine releases boost with maybe 5 psi

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

ditto. first gen talon BOV

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

The talon BOV would be my first choice for cheap. The TiAl would be second to the SSQV if money weren't an issue though.

I don't really like the way the talon's sound (not loud enough for me LOL), and I don't like the chirp of the SSQV although I have considered it anyway since it can hold the boost.
    Anybody know just how much boost the SSQV will hold?
    Are the knock-off tial BOV's any good? How much is a real one? I've seen the knock-off's for like $50.

Oh an what about greddy BOV's? Type s? R?

Hybrid booster

stay away from knock offs. you get what you pay for...

Oh, so now we have to worry about what it sounds like and what it costs. You are killing me here.

Anyway, I have read articles about cars running over 30PSI which have had the SSQVs on them, so I guess that should be alright. I have spiked to 25PSI numerous times with one on my car and it is right as rain.

Doing a littl research, HKS claims that no amount of boost makes the SSQV leak because it's a different design. The more boost the better it holds shut.
    Can't really find any info on the tial BOV though...
    Last edited by moparzrule; 06-03-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Oh, so now we have to worry about what it sounds like and what it costs. You are killing me here.

Haha, yeah I guess I'm picky.

I just have a hard time spending so much just for a BOV. I mean, if I was buying a turbo or ported head that would be different. But wait a minute, oh yeah I only paid $200 for my turbo....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Doing a littl research, HKS claims that no amount of boost makes the SSQV leak because it's a different design. The more boost the better it holds shut.
    Looks like the greddy S is out, only holds 14 PSI. The type R, with the heavy spring, holds 30. But the type C holds 40 PSI, but I can't find it for sale anywhere. I'm sure it's crazy expensive anyway.
    Can't really find any info on the tial BOV though...
    You are exactly right on the SSQV in that it presses against the piston while in boost. You would have to blow it out for it to not hold boost any longer. I would imagine that would take a lot of effort for sure.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I've used the DSM (Talon) BOV, TurboXS RFL, Tial 50mm, and ATP Turbo 'RS'. They all worked great.

I liked the DSM because it was cheap, but it would always produce a constant whistle during cruise that annoyed the hell out of me.

The Tial is very nice and well built, but I had to change out the internal spring that was in it before it worked decently on my cars. It is also rather large.

The TurboXS RFL worked flawlessly on my cars without any need for internal washers (spring shims). I really like the sound, but it is almost difficult to drive without it going off all the time. People can hear you coming a mile a way with this BOV.

My favorite is the ATP 'RS'; not to be confused with the Greddy 'RS' BOV. It is solidly built, compact, and extremely versatile. It comes with two springs with different rates and an allen adjustment screw on top. The mounting flange is setup is modular. A lower weld-on piece is attached to the pipe, and interchangeable top flanges can screwed onto that. You can get top flanges for TurboXS, Greddy, HKS, and the ATP BOV just screws right on without a flange at all. The BOV can be configured in reverse so it functions like the HKS (boost holds the valve shut). The outlet can also be configured for recirculation, or small/large horns. The large horn is bell shaped like the RFL and very loud. The small horn is conical and makes it very quiet.

iTurbo how much boost were you running though? I need something to hold over 30 PSI or else I wouldn't have any trouble with my Type H.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

20 psi on my Shelby Lancer. I would look into the HKS although I've never run one. If I buy another, it will be the 'new' HKS SSQV.

Greddy Type RS which took the place of the Type S in my opinion since i just sold it off sucked. Diaphram and piston design and rebuildable but the diaphram was getting stuff between the piston and housing and you had to pull it all apart to reseat it correctly. pissed me off and i was only running 23psi on it. also not loud at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast