Thread: L-body Engine wiring harness ?s

Mitsu booster

L-body Engine wiring harness ?s

I am looking to replace the engine wiring harness on my 85 GLH-T omni and I am having a hard time finding a harness. I was just wondering if I can use harnesses from any other cars. Im going t2 soon so I can use a T1 or T2 harness.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: L-body Engine wiring harness ?s

I've heard you can use minivan harnesses

The simplest thing if your harness is in working order is to add a couple connectors to it and use it. When I turbocharged my Horizon, all I did was add a connector for the IAC, swapped some pins in the red and blue logic module connector and was done. Not necessary, but I moved my MAP sensor out under the hood and used an 87 CSX stage II MP computer.

turbo addict

89 turbo mini engine harness + 88+ Omni/Horizon under dash harness = SWEET!

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by ACR Turtle View Post
    The simplest thing if your harness is in working order is to add a couple connectors to it and use it. When I turbocharged my Horizon, all I did was add a connector for the IAC, swapped some pins in the red and blue logic module connector and was done. Not necessary, but I moved my MAP sensor out under the hood and used an 87 CSX stage II MP computer.
    I have the connectors I need for my T2 conversion Im just looking for a new harness because mine is in poor condition.

So will shadow and daytona harnesses not work?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I made an '89 turbo Caravan harness and SMEC work in my Omni. I had originally made the harness for my '85 GLH in order to convert it to turbo. But it was totalled by a drunk driver while parked before I finished it, so I installed the harness in my '86 GLH Turbo with no additional mods.

To get the '89 turbo Caravan harness to work in my Omni I had to:
    1. Convert the 50-pin bulkhead to 40-pin so it would plug into the Omni's firewall. OR you could use an '88-'90 Omni underdash harness and it would have the right 50-pin connector. Myself I made a 40-to-50 pin adapter to plug'n'play.

2. Figure out a way to mount all those relays and solenoids in non-stock locations, OR extend/shorten/eliminate as needed. Caravans have a lot of relays compared to L-bodies. I first tried velcro to stick them to the strut tower, but that didn't stand up to the underhood heat. I later attached them to the strut tower with self tapping screws.

3. Some sections of the harness may need to be shortened to the proper length. I didn't bother on my car since it's easy enough to route everything in such a way that it hides the extra bulk and still looks stock. The AIS/TPS wiring is in particular is way too long for an L-body.

4. Eliminate unneeded stuff. The Caravan has wiring/relays for an A/C condensor fan, extra turn signals etc... you can cut it out or just let the extra stuff hang out but unused connectors underhood look wierd. The Caravan uses different head light connectors so those have to be cut and spliced. The turn signals use a different connector but I have found they work perfectly with the Omni turn signal housing.