Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best computer setup for my engine setup..

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: The best computer setup for my engine setup..

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rampage View Post
    Are doing your own cals really that easy? What all do you need?
    For a very basic run down of what you need check out my site.

http://www.omniglht.com/cal.html

turbo addict

I have a socketed lm, so all I need is a laptop, chips, and a burner?
    Is the code super hard to figure out?

You don't even need a laptop, unless you want to make adjustments at the track or anywhere other than back at your house.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    You are running a 2.5 with 89' TII electronics and base cal I believe? I would see if Bucar, or Rob would know what the deal is with that. I know that Bucar has posted a 87 TII cal for a 2.5. You might want to have a look at that. I would also recommend comparing the timing tables from a stock 90 2.5 cal with those of yours to see if that CEL at 10PSI was it? is actually some knock from too much spark or if it is to sensitive a sensor, loose bracket etc.

Using Ladybug60 for base, 3 bar.

Where do I find a stock 89 2.5L cal? ShelGame's are modified, I want to find a unmodified one.

Already re-install the knock sensor with teflon tape in the thread. Don't have any loose bracket, but my motor mounts are polybushings mounts with stock bobble strut mount.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rampage View Post
    Are doing your own cals really that easy? What all do you need?
    No, there not easy, you have to understand the code and learn what does what. Its not a simple 2 min job, you need to learn and study.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

It's not that hard. You have fuel and spark mostly. Boost is a little more complicated if use factory control.

turbo addict

I figure I'd get someone to make me a custom cal and then fine tune it.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    Just out of curiousoty, are most of the cars you've done this with MAF based systems or MAP based? Also, datalogging with OBD2 based stuff is 1000x easier than anything from the mid to late 80's.
    All Dodges, all MAP based. Easier to datalog, sure... but it can still be done, and that is the most important part. I won't tune for anyone who can't send proper datalogs to me.

One thing that really irks me about the way some other groups do recals for factory ecus is that people charge for every revision. Changing to new injectors costs another couple hundred bucks on top of the injectors, even if they're just changing a 2 or 4 byte constant. Some of our vendors do a really good job here, they'll tweak your cal without charging you extra $.
    That may be somewhat understandable for the older ECUs... don't you have to ship them to ther person to get it flashed and shipped back? I'm not sure what all is involved, I just know it's not as easy as how I tune modern vehicles. I don't charge any extra for minor changes, but anything that causes me to have to write a whole new tune I usually charge people $50 for.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    All Dodges, all MAP based. Easier to datalog, sure... but it can still be done, and that is the most important part. I won't tune for anyone who can't send proper datalogs to me.
    Obviously, maf based systems are a little easier to deal with (airflow is given to you, essentially). The big problem with the older stuff, is that many people don't want to invest the time in putting a serial or usb module on their ecu and fart with serial comms. I'd start selling logic modules w/usb adapters myself if I thought anyone would actually buy them. All the info to do it is actually in a KB article here.

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    That may be somewhat understandable for the older ECUs... don't you have to ship them to ther person to get it flashed and shipped back? I'm not sure what all is involved, I just know it's not as easy as how I tune modern vehicles. I don't charge any extra for minor changes, but anything that causes me to have to write a whole new tune I usually charge people $50 for.
    They're all (e)eprom based, so the bins can be emailed and burned by the end-user. It's probably more that many people don't have burners and proms and don't feel like it. 50$ is a steal in some circles people want 250 for each tune.

boostaholic

Wow...got alotta feed back on this one. In my opinion, i think stand alone is alittle to much for me, all i am looking for is to get my daytona in the 12's. Whats the easiest,cheapest, and safest way to do this. Have my ecu socketed, and get a custom bin? I am leaning more towards that. I use to code back when, lol...i am sure i can code my own bin after i learn it alittle bit.. Now...who still sockets them?!?!?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Shelgame does, MW6886, FWD.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Wow...got alotta feed back on this one.
    You kicked a bee's nest, lol. It's almost a religious debate.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You kicked a bee's nest, lol. It's almost a religious debate.
    You haven't gone through the trouble to read through the religion and/or gun rights threads yet have you.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I think this debate has potential of going nowhere. At the end of the day all mentioned options are totally valid. Yet it depends on each individual to decide what is his/her way of going on about this subject.

Between all the options mentioned there simply isn't THE good one or THE bad one.

On the custom programmed cals, I can only confirm, that the level of support which I received especially from @Shellgame but as well from others is outstanding, given that each and everyone supporting is doing all this work voluntarily! Now, at the same time I confess that I would know quite easily a good few people who would shake their heads seing what I am doing. The reason why I chose this way, is because it really means fun to me. This same thing can easily be hell to others.

On the standalone systems: The advantage you have there is that usually a business is behind them with professionals supporting them. Workwise I feel it is the same as doing your own cal. You got to tune and measure and change over again. Is it a good way? Yes of cause, if it gets you where you want to be.

The best compromise between DIY and Standalons in my opinion would be a vendors cal. There are rock solid but static. But you get value for your money and even some leeway to take things in your own hands. It is also a good way of doing things, if it gets you where you want to be.

See, there is not a lot to discuss. It depends on how deep and in what fashion you want to involve yourself. The good thing is, there is a solution for everyone!
    Let's play cars.....:bump2: [URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2909181"]Visit my ride[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12