Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 tall deck turbo

Garrett booster

2.5 tall deck turbo

So I have these really nice used 2.2 turbo pistons, and a low mile 2.5 tall deck that burned an exhaust valve...
    I have all the pieces to build it as 2.5 T1. Has anyone done this and had success with it?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 2.5 tall deck turbo

Welcome to the list Carman Not sure I follow completely, it sounds like you want to use the 2.5 crank but whatcha gonna use for rods and pistons? Compression will be way low with the 2.2 pistons in there...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

While on the subject, where can one find custom long rods to use on the tall block?

Garrett booster

The tall deck 2.5 has those longer rods and used 2.2 N/A pistons. With 2.2 turbo pistons the pin height is the same. So, hanging the 2.2 turbo pistons on the longer tall deck rod should (theoretically) give me the ability to hang the turbo top end on this short block and expirement with a better rod ratio.

Rather then go thru all of this in depth, I helped with alot of the details on this page about 2.5L tall block, long rod engines. Read this, then ask questions if still have any: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...rodengine.html

Garrett booster

Read it. Nice piece. Lot of work went into that to explain the rod ratio. My purpose is to try it with parts-bin engineering. I haven't looked too hard, but I still can't remember if the piston to deck height is the same on the tall deck as on the t1 2.2. The pin height is exactly the same for the tall deck piston and the 2.2 Mahle. I have the long rods cleaned up and high strength bolts in them. They are a bit like the lightweight rod, but the big end is sturdier. I think they'll hold up to 20 ish psi. I plan on using a stock Garrett to boost it, and a Supra intercooler like I had on my Aries (that combo was good for high 12's).

turbo addict

From what I just read in the article on the mini mopar site I think the 2.5 tall deck in the local salvage yard is very desirable and more so than the common block 2.2 in another yard because of the rod ratio advantage.. Definitely something I need to think about. I may just trade in my 2.5 Turbo motor to the guy for this tall deck.. Sounds like a plan to me.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by carmanspd View Post
    The tall deck 2.5 has those longer rods and used 2.2 N/A pistons. With 2.2 turbo pistons the pin height is the same. So, hanging the 2.2 turbo pistons on the longer tall deck rod should (theoretically) give me the ability to hang the turbo top end on this short block and expirement with a better rod ratio.

I've never built a tall 2.5 motor but I though I was paying attention when Ed Peters was describing the layout a few years back... I didn't realize wristpin hieght was identical to the 2.2 turbo pistons Thanks for the refresher course Hmm, 12 second K car, did you change screenames or something

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

Garrett booster

No... Was a semi regular poster on "the other site". I was partially responsable for one of the first RWD Turbo 2.2's also. Sold the Aries in '07 and sat out for a while. Now have a use for lots of left over parts in an '88 GTC Convertable.
    The Aries was set up with a common block 2.5 out of a mini (200k miles on it too!) Had the Garrett off of GLHS#411, 3" swing valve and exh. with only the catco cat to quiet it down. Custom stainless ic tubing and an intercooler from a Supra and 1st gen talon BOV. Trans was heavily modded auto. Graingered to 20psi with an extra injector on a pressure switch. All in an Aries 4dr stripper with a crappy vinyl top (also had it 4whl disc with van fronts and lace wheels from another GTC). Car ran hard (Was eating Mustang GT's and LT Camaros no sweat and only spinning it to 5800 rpm on 17psi.) Took out the tired pistons at 22psi though

Nice. So is this GTC gonna be more of a track car or a street car There are a couple pretty quick J bodies out there so you be in good company sounds like Congratulations on making the leap over here as well

Garrett booster

Thanks. Mostly street with a trip or two to the track for fun. I'll probably keep boost at 15psi or so most of the time. Had a lot of fun messing with the import crowd when the Aries was working right. There's just something satisfying about whoopin' on someone that spent more for his intake that I have into the whole car!

turbo addict

If our track ever opens

Garrett booster

Yeah, there is that problem... Don't you love graft, bribery and tax evasion.

Quote Originally Posted by carmanspd View Post
    Yeah, there is that problem... Don't you love graft, bribery and tax evasion.
    Seems to be rampant when it comes to racetracks. There was this great idea to build a world class drag race facility near Palm Springs CA. The primary sponsor was Mopar and they were gonna call it Mopar Drag City. A nice flat pice of land was secured near an old airport, these fantastic drawings were created showing the final concept including grandstands, garages and support buildings. Heck they even had a decent website that kept us updated with their build progress. I was stoked Then it comes out that they were lying about what progress had been made, the builder/financeer/planners instead made off with hundreds of thousands of the sponsorship money and the whole project collapsed and folded I drove thru there a couple years ago to see what had become of what had been built. I had to ask a couple of locals to even find the place as there was no actual road address As it turned out, the raw land had only been graded and nothing more, in fact the piles of gradings hadn't even been removed and were scattered about. What a joke! So much for the website that had been claiming that the drainage and wiring had been installed along the strip layout. Corruption is a wonderful thing

Garrett booster

Man, did we digress or what. Some of the "promoters" for race facilities have been nothing more than con-men. Our local track went into recievership after the owner finally got enough people pissed off to finally call him on it. There is about a 60% chance it'll open for this season. Can't be soon enough. In the mantime, I'm sure the street race scene will be active.

Garrett booster

On the original subject... I'm assembling the shortblock today.

It's not a hijack if it's YOUR thread and you steer it somewhere else

turbo addict

I believe I'm the one that hi-jacked it

Garrett booster

You Spokane boys

turbo addict

All I can say is power to you if your building a tall deck engine.. I think they are pretty much the most bullet proof TM block with the right parts save for a next gen car like an SRT.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast