Thread: Dcal, Chem, and GNU/Linux. Wine?

Dcal, Chem, and GNU/Linux. Wine?

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 on my desktop pc at the house. It fits my needs perfectly with one exception. I don't how or even if I can get Dcal and Chem to run on it. I've never fooled with wine because I've had no need for it up until now. Is anybody successfully running Dcal and/or Chem on a Linux machine? If so, post up how you got it working.
    I know dual booting is an option, but I'm running a tiny hard drive, so I'd like to avoid it if possible.
    Thanks,
    Tony

Re: Dcal, Chem, and GNU/Linux. Wine?

Nevermind.
    Shoulda tried before I asked how. It was really simple.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I use vmware to do all my windows based work (even my datalogging is normally done through vmware). Works well and now they have a free version. Probably doesn't matter now that you have wine working, but I figured I'd mention it.

Thanks though, it's always nice to have options!

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

did wine work??

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

It seems to work fine for dcal. I haven't tried chem yet, but I wouldn't expect any problems out of it either.
    What I'd really like to try is getting the software for the burner working. It looks like there is a Linux version of the software for the Willem programmers, but it's lacking in functionality, so I'm going to try getting the windows version working in wine.
    There's a how-to on it here: http://www.willem.org/cgi-bin/yabb22...num=1144919305
    From looking at that, it seems you get the added advantage of being able to use parallel ports you can't use from windows like pcmcia cards. This could really come in handy since I would be able to use my laptop and give Tiff's back to her.

Edit: Anybody ever tried using a burner plugged into a USB port replicator? Surely there's got to be a work around for newer computers without parallel ports that will work with windows...

turbo addict

I've only heard of this wine, but never thought of even trying it. How do you like it and how well does the D-Cal work with it?
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

It works great as far as opening, modifying, and saving a cal. D-cal seems to run exactly like it does in Windows.
    I'm really happy with it because now I can sit in a comfortable chair and look at a 22" LCD monitor instead of straining my eyes and ending up with a sore neck from staring at the laptop. You can also change the size of the D-cal window through the settings in wine which is handy if you're about half blind like me.
    Tony

A little update on this, I tried Chem2 in wine and it won't run. It opens for a split second and then immediately closes. I'll post more if I manage to get it working.

Garrett booster

ARISE DEAD THREAD!!!

did you end up getting chem2 to work with wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Sloride View Post
    ARISE DEAD THREAD!!!

did you end up getting chem2 to work with wine?
    Lol. Never did. Though to be fair, I didn't try very hard either. Around the time I was fooling with it, I also discovered VNC and just started using that to do my cal work on the XP laptop from the Ubuntu desktop. That worked out pretty well since everything is saved on the laptop's hd so there's no chance of me taking all my gear somewhere only to realize later that the .bin I need is on the desktop hd.