Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Hoods, etc

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Exclamation Carbon Hoods, etc

1st things 1st, this thread is basically a continuation of this thread:

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24285

I got the wild hair to contact Bob thanks to a post on the SDML that advised me/us to contact Bob, and after emailing him, he suggested we put our heads together to decide what we wanted and how many of us would commit to actually buying. I was informed that a min of 6 pieces per mold would be required to keep the cost to about $600.00. I'm sure that price may vary a bit depending on how many commit and how difficult they are to produce. I personally would like to have a hatch done, but he wasn't familiar with them and so didn't know what to quote. Since he's in BC (Canada, eh?), I don't know how I'd get him a hatch to make the mold off of, so....

ANYWAY, I was going to try and make this a poll to see what people wanted and who had $$ to spend right now. But it seems I am too much a noob to figure that out.

I suppose the 1st thing that we should do is take stock of who wants what. I do expect that we'll probably have to settle on one basic design rather then 6 slightly custom versions of that same hood (or hatch ), if you know what I mean?

I'm sure some folks from the other site would like them too, and it would help with the volume (bring cost down), but I don't know how to approach that without starting some flame war about TM trying to steal members etc.

Oh, BTW, I'm not trying to hi-jack anything or steal anyone's thunder, I just want to see these pieces get made, though I'm more excited about a hatch than a hood for my Omni. So, please don't look at this thread as me trying to take something over.

Now that that is all said and done...

What carbon fiber goodies would you like to buy?

I'll start: Hood and Hatch for an Omni! (one each)
    Last edited by zin; 05-28-2008 at 12:04 AM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Re: Carbon Hoods, etc

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

- Edmund Burke

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I have cash in hand for the right CF Daytona hood cuz I have not been able to talk my buddy into making one yet.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Where in Canada?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Where in Canada?
    Kamloops BC

Mike

- Edmund Burke

I was really hoping to get a list of people who wanted to get a carbon hood, etc in order to get these things made, so if you want one and have about $600.00 to spend on one, post it up. Or, if there is another thread that I'm unaware of that is doing the same thing, LMK so I can put my name in.

Thanks to all!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

What are the weights on em? Hate to get a CF hood and have it heavier than the original. Unless I just want to "look cool."

turbo addict

the only way i would consider paying that much is if we had the weights of each as mentioned....omni

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Yeah i would need to know the weights involved and see one in person. I wouldn't even care if the finish was show quality. I'd paint it.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

My p bodies hatch weighs 22 pounds right now and the hood probably similar. Carbon fiber seems more tempting before you have gone and seriously gutted stock parts.

If I had something like an evo then I would love carbon fiber hood, hatch, fenders, doors, etc.

Garrett booster

I'd take a hood for an 89 voyager in a heart beat but getting six others I don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinsrt View Post
    I'd take a hood for an 89 voyager in a heart beat but getting six others I don't see it happening.
    Well, that's kinda what this thread is about, finding out who wants what, and is willing to spend the $$. So, ask around and see if you can get folks to post up, that way we can get a good idea how many folks have a serious interest & see what parts are worth trying to get done.

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 06-07-2008 at 03:51 PM.

- Edmund Burke

I'd love a hood or the rear door for a Van ... but don't have the cash flow for either right now unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by reject View Post
    I'd love a hood or the rear door for a Van ... but don't have the cash flow for either right now unfortunately.
    Well your input is still useful, its important to find out what the majority of folks want and how much they'd be willing to spent, if and when they have the $$. Just because you don't have the $$ right now, doesn't mean that you can't put in your .02.

- Edmund Burke

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    If I had something like an evo then I would love carbon fiber hood, hatch, fenders, doors, etc.
    A friend of mine accidentally rolled his Evo into a Jeep and messed up the hood. He got a CF hood and it was 14lbs heavier than the stock one, so he traded it for a stock one. Food for thought.

Garrett booster

evos are an exception since they use light weight aluminum hoods.

Garrett booster

oh and also depends on the manufacture, ive even seen evo cf hoods lighter...take www.fiberimages.com for example, they make some of the lightest cf hoods on the market, and they are as strong as some of the thickest. They have it down to a science there.

I'll have to check my email at work, but I seem to recall a weight mentioned, though I would think it would be difficult to get an accurate number before one is produced. Off the top of my head 9lb is what I'm thinking, but don't quote me on that till I can confirm.

I'm right there with you guys regarding weight, I don't want one if it's not going to be a significant weight reduction, and/or aid in airflow/cooling. Heck, I'll be painting mine anyway, I don't really care for the look of bare Carbon Fiber, at least not on major exterior body panels!

Mike

- Edmund Burke

Garrett booster

also carbon fiber is a very porous material and it will get rid of heat soak faster than a stock steel hood.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1 bad day View Post
    also carbon fiber is a very porous material and it will get rid of heat soak faster than a stock steel hood.
    are you sure about that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast