Thread: Driveshaft Shop Axles

Driveshaft Shop Axles

Just FYI....

I had to replace the inner boot on my DSS axle because they crimp the small end of the boot too close to the joint. The boot ribs rub on each other and wear through. Be sure to pull the small end of the boot down the shaft once you install it such that the ribs do not touch one another.

Also they welded the shaft to the tripod, so I couldn't get the boot off from that end. I had to remove the outer joint, which thankfully is the Citreon type that you just tap off the end of the shaft with a rubber mallot.

Another note about the inner joint: they have some kind of fiber-reinforced plastic cap that seems to be there to keep the tripod in the tulip. The problem is the boot seals to the cap and the cap seals to the tulip with a rubber gasket. On my other shaft, grease is coming out between the gasket and the tulip. I noticed on this axle that the gasket was not positioned quite right and was just barely making a seal.

I'm going to email them about the seal issue.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Driveshaft Shop Axles

You're not supposed to daily drive race car parts!

I noticed that plastic cap part... maybe I have not driven mine enough yet to leak? Got pics?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    You're not supposed to daily drive race car parts!
    Screw that! What else am I going to drive every day? Some slow azz Neon? j/k Anyway, the Level 3 are for street use.

I noticed that plastic cap part... maybe I have not driven mine enough yet to leak? Got pics?
    Nah, I was too tired. Was up until 5am taking the trans apart to change the shift fork pads. Man what a pain to do in-car on these late trannies with those stupid roll pins in the forks. Shifts awesome now, though.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMopar View Post
    Just FYI....

I had to replace the inner boot on my DSS axle because they crimp the small end of the boot too close to the joint. I noticed on this axle that the gasket was not positioned quite right and was just barely making a seal.

I'm going to email them about the seal issue.
    When you buy cheap replacement parts like that you're bound to have problems...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

Yeah, there seems to be some practical fit and finish issues with their design. They also aren't coated well, if at all, as they are rusting already.

As JT said, they are race car parts.

turbo addict

Hmm well for the money they ought to be triple zinc plated..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

They are not coated at all, bare steel with light oil.. race car stuff. Then again many axles are not coated well. I coat mine with oil semi-frequently and they have not even left the garage in 2 years.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

A coat of paint wouldn't hurt anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][FONT=Comic Sans MS]'91 Shadow convertible 2.5 auto, three core RP IC, S60/.48 stg 1, ported two-piece intake/52mm TB, Menegon +1 swirl, 88 turbo cam, Venolias, Crower rods, TU deep sump pan, ported exhaust, 3" from SV to TP, Hughes TC, Peloquin diff, DSS L5 driveshafts, Shelgame cal, Koni struts/shocks. [/FONT]

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

I coat mine with oil semi-frequently and they have not even left the garage in 2 years.
    I know that passenger axle got a good coating of oil a few years ago
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post

LOL. Well, the axles themselves don't bother me. The stockers rust too. It would be nice if that plated the spindles, though. The 20+ year old spindles on the old axles look better than these 2 year old ones.

They will be coming out again sometime due to the failure of this new boot (grr), so I may shoot some paint on the axles and tulips to keep them nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Doh! BURN! (litterally)

actually the fire extinguisher powder and pressure wash pretty much effed the oil coverage up

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Most of our parts even if they are for ag use meaning used and abused get black oxided at the VERY least. Yeah I agree the stockers rust too, I would just get annoyed trying to disassemble something that has become rusty I paid more for than my car.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT] ____________________________________________ 92 Voyager LE 3.3/A604 luxury liner 185k [COLOR="Red"]"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin[/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]"It's not tyranny we desire; it's a just, limited, federal government." Alexander Hamilton[/COLOR] [COLOR="Blue"]Support our economy-BUY AMERICA: [url]http://nortonsusa.com/[/url][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by WickedShelby88 View Post
    Most of our parts even if they are for ag use meaning used and abused get black oxided at the VERY least. Yeah I agree the stockers rust too, I would just get annoyed trying to disassemble something that has become rusty I paid more for than my car.
    Inside the boots obviously won't rust, so a bit of anti-seize on the hub splines and paint of your choice (dayglo green is tasteful) on the exposed shaft should do it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Inside the boots obviously won't rust, so a bit of anti-seize on the hub splines and paint of your choice (dayglo green is tasteful) on the exposed shaft should do it.
    Lol, yeah sometimes you just have to do a little yourself.. Not so bad because black is probably what they would come as and I'd rather go with red or blue myself.. Anti-seize is definitely your friend with any fastener or part made of steel for a car used in the good ole rust belt.

Here is a pic showing the different boots. The inner boot has a narrower base than the outer. I guess the outer has to flex more.

If you try to put an outer boot on the tulip, it rubs on the trans and this happens:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSS - Boots.jpg 
Views:	522 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	8782   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSS - Torn Boot.jpg 
Views:	529 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	8783  

ill have to throw a coat of paint on mine before they go in the car...